Supermarine Type 392 - Frog/Novo Supermarine Attacker as Prototype.

Hi All,

Number 3 for this GB.

34226687506_edd071cab8_c.jpg

Not many bits in this kit either.

34226688636_7475aca6e0_c.jpg

Quite a few ejector towers to deal with....

34136186211_7c30158ec7_c.jpg

Clipped together - 9 parts comprise the entire aircraft if you're doing it in flying condition.

34136184431_c66d3f1aea_c.jpg

However - Given the fact the mould is in the region of 60 years old there are a couple of items that need addressing...

34226687076_472e5cdf66_c.jpg

That would be the major issue. The other issue is that the cockpit walls could do with going further back into the intake.

Solution?

34109770342_128c85dcf3_c.jpg

34226686076_2ba5d96fdd_c.jpg

Bit of styrene sheet and coffee can foil can work wonders :smile:

34189620331_a047f48304_c.jpg

Jet fan is something quickly drawn up in AutoCAD and printed off, paper then stuck to blanking plate and intake walls painted silver. Tailpipe glued in place.

34189624311_13441bffba_c.jpg

Now glued together and awaiting further sanding and filling.

Best get on with the other ones now - Oil paint has finally dried on Turtle!

Edited by Bonhoff
Smiley edit.....
  • Like 3

[Host hat on]

I am the one :) 

At the moment I have a feeling that this build does not fit well in this GB unless either of first three prototypes (Type 392, 398 or 513) will be represented.

This intention was not clearly indicated hence the doubts

[Host hat off]

• Like 2

Stand Back!

Just had a look at some pictures and it would appear that I can do the Type 392 by painting the aircraft silver and cutting the cannon back.

Would that meet with your approval?

IanJ

• Like 1

You'd need to take the fin fillet off and IIRC, the canopy will need some work.

Here's one I made earlier...

16700503_1877505789132215_76645876269867

Frog/Novo Attacker.  Plastic card to blank off the intakes, albeit a way in to give the illusion of ducting.  Resin solid copy of the Falcon canopy to replace the laughable joke that's provided.  Fin fillet removed.  All panel lines bar those around the engine sanded off and what was left was rescribed.  High altitude day fighter scheme with markings for the Air Fighting Development Unit.

I've got a similar model at the decalling stage as the prototype, but wearing standard 1944 day fighter camo...

• Like 3

Thanks Wooksta, would a Spitfire bubbletop be closer to the ideal than that which Frog/Novo provide?

IanJ

No.  Too small.  Basically, fill the existing kit bubble with milliput and sand the hell out it until it's closer to something a little more prototypical.  You may want to go a similar route to me with it being blacked out as a desktop model.

• Like 1

Bonhoff, why not put a post in the wanted forum to see if anyone had the Falcon canopy set #19 but have no intention of using the Attacker canopy from it. Sorry, can't have mine, its spoken for. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Tail fillet removed courtesy of some snips and judicious filing.

33648538134_6c7aa04457_c.jpg

Any thicker and I think I'd have had to break out the angle grinder.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Back from holiday and by some miracle have been beavering away in the Iancave uninterrupted for a good chunk of the weekend.

Bit of seam filling, engrave the engine covers back in place, more seam filling, prime, more seam filling then give up and throw some paint at it.

Sprayed Revell acrylic aluminium first as an experiment but wasn't overly enamoured with the finish so a coat of Vallejo MA Silver over the top.

33977215794_4da7afd5ed_c.jpg

Seen with the S6B that I'm building elsewhere in this GB

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have been somewhat distracted with the construction of the DH-2 over in the DHGB but have been accumulating decals to get this one a bit more sorted.

35572037291_1aa41da5d5_c_d.jpg

34893203683_eb9387bdd0_c_d.jpg

Roundels courtesy of Fantasy Printshop, fin flashes from my spares, prototype rings and serials from Xtradecal. The serials were quite the mare to do as nothing seems to match heightwise but as they're underneath they'll do....

Have decided to used the comedy canopy in lieu of a decent one but it's only tacked on should I change my mind.

• Like 2

And she's done.

35783655116_edf9119da1_c_d.jpg

Canopy does look way out, doesn't it? Pitot tube added to port wingtip and fuselage serials added.

Will post in gallery in a couple of days time

Thanks for watching.

IanJ

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see this one in the gallery too Ian :thumbsup:!

You now have provided us with a duo of Supermarine specials; it doesn't get much more BritModeller than that :)!

This shows that with a little tlc these FROG kits can still be built up into very nice models. I still love putting FROG kits together just to remind myself of how easy it was to get something good from them as a young boy, very quickly.

I wouldn't have been putting blanking plates in and grinding fillets off, it has to be said :D.

Great stuff, many thanks for another great build and thread Ian 

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1