Vampire damages runway at Halfpenny Green

There is another post on the same subject - entitled 'Ooops'. But this a much better video.

Yes it does look like a very shoddy job on the tarmac.

• Like 1

Hmm it looks like it's been there for a while ....can't imagine halfpenny green(never heard of it) has an awful lot of income to look after taxiways .mind you some of the European military airfields we used to visit either transisting through or detatching too were pretty shoddy 

It's hard to see in either of the vids but I can't help but wonder if there was any damage to the Vampire's tailplane / elevators or rudders.  There seemed to get some seriously large chunks of the taxiway and runway Tarmac flying about!

Thankfully there have been no reports of damage or difficulties regarding the Vampire or its crew.

Jonny

I'm not sure if it's the compressed depth, but it looks like the takeoff run crosses a section of runway where the tarmac was ripped up during the taxi - isn't that a bit of a FOD risk?

Like Paul said, I'm kind of amazed the pilot was allowed to proceed tbh. Or wanted to proceed for that matter!

Will

Fwiw, I think the tele lens make it look closer to the tail than it was. The jet efflux probably doesn't get down to ground level till quite some distance behind the tail plane, though that does still raise the question about the take off run through the debris disturbed while taxying. Some questions to be asked about the advisability of operating a jet like this on smaller strips.

Steve.

5 hours ago, pigsty said:

Is that the same Halfpenny Green that claims to be Wolverhampton Airport?

The very same, I flew out of there back when dinousars were alive and manned flight was in it's infancy.

Can't believe the take of was allowed to proceed! 

I know the configuration of the aircraft is totally different but the damage from this sort of incident can be far from insignificant, have a read at this -

https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/boeing-737-436-g-doct-8-july-2005

Eng