Alistair, you might find this page from Special Hobby with an in box review of their 1/72 BoB Buchon, they supplied separate wings trimmed to the correct wingtip profile which are illustrated as well as the marking diagrams which illustrate the same thing with regard to original panel lines, ailerons etc.

Steve.

• Like 1

I'm really enjoying this Alistair. I'm a big fan of Spanish aviation; all of it. It is a really fascinating subject.

You're doing a grand job of the conversion :thumbsup2: .

I have the Special Hobby 1/72 Buchons as per Steve's post above. If the plans on the website are hard to grab, I'm happy to send you scans.

I think the Buchons with clipped wings look really mean. Great to see one being made in a big scale :).

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

Well i must say that Steve has saved the day . Now having clipped the wings and looked at refrances i can see how weird my clipping was . It would have been 'Bad  ,very bad'  (thanks Donald) if i had realised this when all finished .

P1020309.jpg Before

After  wy.jpg

Looks far more like an Emil now .Simple job to do and if the team that produced the film whent to the cost ,time and risk of modifying the actual aircraft ,who am i not to

Before i forget ,Thanks Tony for offering scans of the Special Hobby plans . If you are intrested in doing this conversion greymatter will sell it at a discount with out the Spanish decal sheet .

P1020323.jpg

The exhausts are a work of art with superb detail . Little cleaning up needed .  I first seperated them and worked out the spacing by attaching to a piece of masking tape

P1020321.jpg

I have ben looking forward to seeing them in place as they are such a prominant feature of this engine . I AM NOT DSAPOINTED

P1020324.jpg

P1020325.jpg

Lastly i 'v started the prop by  drilling out and reaming for the centrlal cannon firing through the propeller shaft

P1020328.jpg

I hope to get some primmer on sometime over week end .

• Like 9

Thank you Steve NZ ,Steve J Trevor and kent for your comments ,

A small update tonight .

P1020329.jpg

I have modified the treaad on the tyres to slightly represent the tread on the tyres used on the buchons used during filming . 

I was not going to do this but its a little detail that would have annoyed me forever after .

took ages to remove the original tread and some difficult scribbing .

• Like 11

On 6/2/2017 at 2:45 PM, Mottlemaster said:

Thank you Steve NZ ,Steve J Trevor and kent for your comments ,

A small update tonight .

P1020329.jpg

I have modified the treaad on the tyres to slightly represent the tread on the tyres used on the buchons used during filming . 

I was not going to do this but its a little detail that would have annoyed me forever after .

took ages to remove the original tread and some difficult scribbing .

I can't believe you did the describing of the tread bY hand!  First, it seems a horribly tedious and pretty difficult thing to do. Second, the new tread pattern is so uniform and precise, it begs machining by some sort of automated tool. Well done!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, georgeusa said:

I can't believe you did the describing of the tread bY hand!  First, it seems a horribly tedious and pretty difficult thing to do. Second, the new read pattern is so uniform and precise, it begs machining by some sort of autumstd tool. Well done!

Thanks Ozzy and George

The sanding off took around an hour .

To make the new tread i clamped my scribber to the table and then placed the wheel against the cutter raising the height of the wheel with layers of thin plastic card for each grove . all i needed to then do was turn the wheel very carefully against the blade . It isnt perffect but it worked out ok . Probably took another hour for both .

• Like 3

The main airframe has now recieved a coat of halfords grey primer . when tthis had dried i applied some Mr hobby white  to the area where the unit crests are to be painted

I have also painted the slat areass that are expoed when extended RLM 02 .and masked off for the pre shading

P1020335.jpg

to make the masks for the crests i first drew some out on a folded piece of paper and when , after several attempts , i ws stisfied with sie and shape i made  plastic card copy .

From this copy i marked out 2 masks on to tape and these wre positiond on to fuselage

P1020331.jpg

P1020336.jpg

P1020338.jpg

I taped over the area to remain white and then gave a coat of blue .

tomorrow when this is fully dry i will mask the sheild area and then remove the surrounding mask ready for preshading .

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

The main airframe has now recieved a coat of halfords grey primer . when tthis had dried i applied some Mr hobby white  to the area where the unit crests are to be painted

I have also painted the slat areass that are expoed when extended RLM 02 .and masked off for the pre shading

P1020335.jpg

to make the masks for the crests i first drew some out on a folded piece of paper and when , after several attempts , i ws stisfied with sie and shape i made  plastic card copy .

From this copy i marked out 2 masks on to tape and these wre positiond on to fuselage

P1020331.jpg

P1020336.jpg

P1020338.jpg

I taped over the area to remain white and then gave a coat of blue .

tomorrow when this is fully dry i will mask the sheild area and then remove the surrounding mask ready for preshading .

Cool!

Great work there, and nice job on the hand painted markings. Are you doing them all by hand? 

Cheers

Greg:penguin:

• Like 3

On 04/06/2017 at 16:07, GREG DESTEC said:

Cool!

Great work there, and nice job on the hand painted markings. Are you doing them all by hand? 

Cheers

Greg:penguin:

Yes Greg i'm going to try them by hand useing

Copic Multiliner SP pens  http://www.copic-shop.co.uk/copic-multiliner-sp-pens/#

to draw the eagle like thing on the shield . Got the idea from Builder on his tamiya 1/72 109 -3 thred

• Like 1

Thank you Steve and Bliitz and just for you two more pictures .

one from afar  P1020353.jpg

And one from far to close

P1020354.jpg

I will do proper update over the weekend when i find out how to get rid of the latest photobuccket popup advert window which seems inpossible to remove .

• Like 10

Looks great Alistair,

The unit emblem is amazing! 

're photo bucket, i have found those big pop up adverts infuriating, and the only way out of it 

seems to be to close down the entire page and go in again. 

Cheers Greg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 1

Thanks Greg ,Stix & Steve .

I have made some more progress with  the arival of some Eaglecal decals from Hanants ,

On 17/06/2017 at 13:33, GREG DESTEC said:

Looks great Alistair,

The unit emblem is amazing! 

're photo bucket, i have found those big pop up adverts infuriating, and the only way out of it 

seems to be to close down the entire page and go in again. 

Cheers Greg

Photo  bucket is the one thing that makes me keep the number of picturess i post down to a minimum .  If you add it to a slow rural internet speed its a PITA .

Painting done useing Mr hobby color RLM 71

"                    RLM  65

White Ensign Colour coat RLM 02 ( have many brands of 02 and they are all slightly differet but i liked the way this one conntrastedwith the RLM 71

P1020358.jpg

P1020359.jpg

The prop took a bit of fettling as i there is no way that the blades would fit into the prop base as the stubes on the blades were far too short ans small to fi into the larg holes.

P1020356.jpg

With some very carefil drilling all was made to fit

P1020357.jpg

Thats all for now but the end is in sight.

• Like 6