Got all the parts for this conversion when intending to enter it for the Battle of Britain G/B a few years ago . (wasnt eligable as film not included ) so now it will come to flower

Grey Matter sold me their  Buchon conversion set at a discount without the decals and rockets which was very kind of them .

Before i forget its nice to be back on the forum as iv taken a little break from most things computer over the past 6 months or so .

I will post some pics of parts to be useed later tonight .

Cheers

Alistair

• Like 8

Thanks Vp ,Ozzy and Arnold for your welcom ..much appreciated .

Managed to open my photo bucket account ,just , after loosing password etc . Now i remember why i dislike getting pics sorted out .

Managed to get some shots of sorts so here goes ...

P1020279.jpg

P1020280.jpg

Some refrance material . Superb books . I cant recomend them highly enough if you are intrested in the background to how the film was put together .

they will supliment numerous viewings of the film over the next few months  :).

P1020281.jpg

A good article on the two Buchons that are in the UK . Intresting to see how they have changed from their days as movie stars.

This is the kit i will be useing

P1020276.jpg

P1020278.jpg

Look a little more straight forward than the Modern Revell one .

Typicall cottage industry box for the Grey matter conversion

P1020277.jpg

The resin parts look to be superb quality with very little clean up to do .

P1020283.jpg

I shall now press the submit button and see if anything shows .

more pics tomorrow ..i hope .

• Like 7

Knowing nothing about these planes, it came to me as a surprise it can/should be converted from a Gustav kit. Somehow, maybe thanks to BoB movie, I associate them with Emils... well you live and learn! The resin part does look very good indeed. V-P

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Knowing nothing about these planes, it came to me as a surprise it can/should be converted from a Gustav kit. Somehow, maybe thanks to BoB movie, I associate them with Emils... well you live and learn! The resin part does look very good indeed. V-P

The Spanish planes were meant to be licensed Gustavs and I have read were assigned 109J.  When DB engines never turned up, the airframe was reengineered for Hispano Suiza engines but these were less powerful.  The Buchons were the same airframe rebuilt again to suit Merlin engines, but still effectively a Gustav behind the firewall.

For BoB movie they clipped half a metre from the span and added dummy tail struts to look more like an Emil, as well as other odd changes to show guns better to match.  I believe the flyers retained their 4-blade props, whilst static got three blades from somewhere.

According to the making of book, the Spanish AF Buchon squadron leader was aghast at the clipped wings ruining the planes.  Then he test flew one and wished they'd been clipped when in service!

Of course it's all a little more complex than I've written above.

Cheers

Will 

• Like 4

Another thing to add to the re engined '109J' is that the initial Hispano substitute engine had the prop rotate in the opposite direction. 

However the aerofoil section of the tail was assymetric and tailored to the DB605 rotation direction.

Hispano didn't compensate for this, so take-offs and landings were......challenging.

Ttevor

• Like 2

I am really looking forward to your build Alistair. I love the Battle of Britain movie and have been looking for a Buchon kit for a while now. The old Academy/Hobbycraft kits seem to have disappeared as far as I can see.

At the moment I am reading a great book called "Battle of Britain" by Leonard Mosley, which is about the making of the film, which was hugely expensive to do when you consider at one point in 1968 is was said to be costing £100/minute!!! :tmi: Worth a read if you want to - in paperback it is very cheap second hand. Making the movie appears to have been almost as arduous as fighting the battle it appears.

Anyway I look forward to the coming posts.

Cheers

Greg

• Like 2

IM going to do this backwrds , starting with where i am now with the build .

I have just finished re scribing the pannel lines along top and bottom of fuselage .

P1020295.jpg

It looks a bit like a fish that has been gutted and head and tail cut off .

The nose was removed by chain drilling and lots of test fits with new resin nose.

P1020290.jpg

Paintig done useing Modelmaster enamel RLM 66 and then dry brushed .

P1020294.jpg

Found a set of fabric late war Luftwaffe belts which i think look a little more realistic than the etch that come with the conversion .

P1020298.jpg

Of course before painting i alterd the existing cockpit nd added the resin and etch avionics

P1020293.jpg

P1020292.jpg

P1020291.jpg

The gun breach is not needed as the Buchon had no central gun .

The germans not only let the Spanish down by not supplying the engines they also didnt supply the  cockpit instruments so they licened their production .

Here is a Slip turn idicator from a Buchon (probably from one used in the Battle of Britain film ) that is in my collection .

f1f0f7026f61b80f54c0314637136e2d%202_1.j

P1020296_1.jpg

P1020297_1.jpg

It is exactly the same as a german one i have from a 109 that orce landed in kent , apart from the spanish wording .

Next stage to attach nose ,,,,

• Like 10

Great!

Good to see this underway Alistair.

The Hase 109's look like nice kits. I kook forward to seeing the distinctive Buchon nose attached.

Cheers

Greg

• Like 1

On 11/05/2017 at 22:55, GREG DESTEC said:

Great!

Good to see this underway Alistair.

The Hase 109's look like nice kits. I kook forward to seeing the distinctive Buchon nose attached.

Cheers

Greg

Thanks Greg . Yes the kit is fun to build and in many waaays is faar easier than the moden Revell 109 g's with their two prt undercarage legs etc .

Nose is now firmly attached with Gorilla Super Glue Gel

P1020300.jpg

P1020301.jpg

And ome two part epoxy to make sure .

P1020302.jpg

before glueing i made sure wind scrren and wings wouldd fit at a latter date .

Next thing is ti fabricate the dummy guns on the engine cowl.

• Like 8

Taking shape quickly Alistair,

It looks like the resin parts are matching up well to the donor kit.

Do you have the markings for it yet? 

Looking forward to the next update,

Cheers

Greg:D

• Like 1

Great conversion!  Like you, I was surprised the donor kit would be a "G" model.  I thought it would either be an "E" or an "F" version. Learn something everyday. You have made a serious conversion look easy. The new nose looks great attached to the Hasegawa body.  Looking forward to more updates. 

• Like 1

Impressive work so far and a really interesting project.

The choice of the Hasegawa kit is a good one, no problems just fun to build.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2017 at 12:22, GREG DESTEC said:

Taking shape quickly Alistair,

It looks like the resin parts are matching up well to the donor kit.

Do you have the markings for it yet? 

Looking forward to the next update,

Cheers

Greg:D

Hi Greg The resin is some of the best iv used ,hardly any clean up needed , no air bubbles and super fit .As for the markings im thinking of useing masks and maybe hand painting the unit shields. I havenot decided yet which aircraft to do ,so will watch film again this week to help in final decision .

On 13/05/2017 at 13:22, georgeusa said:

Great conversion!  Like you, I was surprised the donor kit would be a "G" model.  I thought it would either be an "E" or an "F" version. Learn something everyday. You have made a serious conversion look easy. The new nose looks great attached to the Hasegawa body.  Looking forward to more updates. 

Yes the nose looks sweet  . here it is ccompaired to a revell G6 with Alleycat improvement set

P1020320.jpg

On 16/05/2017 at 20:55, BerndM said:

Impressive work so far and a really interesting project.

The choice of the Hasegawa kit is a good one, no problems just fun to build.

Thanks BerndM a much rasier build than the Revell kit .Probably the best thing about the revell is the price,

I have been cracking on with the build and should have posted some pics sooner during assembly but i got on a roll .

Wings and tail are on and iv done severall tweeks to bring it towards Bof B spec

1)  tail struts made from plastic card and super glue .

2) wing tips cliped

3)Engine cowl guns made from plastic sprue and brass tube

P1020316.jpg

P1020303.jpg

P1020309.jpg

The resin section beneth the cockpit is a little short so i attached a plastic card tab to rear and filled with some evergreen strip

P1020307.jpg

filler%201.jpg

Have used my fav mix of superglue and talk from a puncture repaie kit .

So this is where im at now

P1020319.jpg

full.jpg

Next thing to do is a cleanup and a coat of primer .

Edited by Mottlemaster
no gun pics
  • Like 9

Great progress and i agree about the Revell kit. The price is quite low but when you buy all the needed corrections it isn t too cheap after after all.

• Like 1

Hi Alistair, that is beginning to look very smart, but, sorry :( , if the above photo of the wingtips clipped is how you see the final clip then I think you need to rethink it. The Buchons in the movie had theirs clipped back rather more than that, the same or close to that of a 109E which of course is what they were portraying. If I've jumped the gun on this then please ignore. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2

Thanks for the feed back chaps ,all much apreciated .

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Hi Alistair, that is beginning to look very smart, but, sorry :( , if the above photo of the wingtips clipped is how you see the final clip then I think you need to rethink it. The Buchons in the movie had theirs clipped back rather more than that, the same or close to that of a 109E which of course is what they were portraying. If I've jumped the gun on this then please ignore. :)

Steve.

Steve , after takeing a look at other refrances i see you are correct . I was far too cautious in my wing clipping . i found it hard to find a good refrance from a Film still or book, however the Academy 1/48 kit clearly shows how it should be .  Its going to make the bird look much better .

thanks again

Alistair

• Like 3