ATL Carvair. 1:144 Roden

Aviation Traders Limited Carvair.

1:144 Roden kit with Classic-airlines.com decals.

cv9.jpg

The Carvair  was developed to replace the Bristol Freighters used to transport cars & passengers across the English Channel to France, hence its name (Car-via-air).

Modified from C-54/DC-4 airframes it was considerably cheaper than an all new aircraft would have been. The modifications consisted of a completely new forward fuselage, relocating the cockpit on top, much like the later Boeing 747, and a new tail fin to counter it. Its has been widely thought that the fin was from a DC-7, but apparently this is not true, they were new build units.

The Roden kit build very well, although I did have to shim the upper inboard wings to avoid a gap where they meet the fuselage.  The main gear legs were way too short, initially resulting in the rear of the fuselage almost touching the ground. I removed them and inserted a platform about 4mm deep to attach the legs to, in order to achieve the 'sit' you see here.

I wasn't too keen on the kit supplied colour scheme for British Air Ferries, but found this 'British United' scheme at Classic-airlines.com, which I really like. There are also several others available. They are laser printed on constant film, so you have to cut each subject out individually. I can heartily recommend them though, they went on superbly and were easy to use.

Enough chat, time for the photos (ugly innit?) ;

cv1.jpg

cv2.jpg

cv3.jpg

cv4.jpg

cv6.jpg

'With something else - an easy choice - A Welsh Models Bristol Freighter.

cv7.jpg

cv8.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 49

3 minutes ago, Viking said:

In a word - Yes (Vintage A380 IMHO John, but you've still managed to make it look respectable).

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

mike

• Like 1

I love it! Yes it's ugly but beautifully finished in probably my favourite Carvair livery, nice mucky engine weathering too! 

Do the props rotate John? Just thinking you could get the hairdryer out for some action shots!

What else are you working on?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Beautiful builds! Love those and it looks great next to the Welsh Freighter. I've never seen one of these Carvairs built up and yours is superb. I've built the C-124 that Roden released around the same time as this and found a wealth of fit and other issues - a world away from their more recent releases. Great work and thanks for showing us!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turbofan said:

IDo the props rotate John? Just thinking you could get the hairdryer out for some action shots!

What else are you working on?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian, the props did rotate but kept falling out so I dabbed a bit of white glue on each shaft to lock them in. Better that than to lose them!

As I was impressed by Classic-airlines.com decals I ordered some more. Because it makes an interesting comparison with the Carvair, I've got this DC-4 coming up next on the production line;

cv10.jpg

Cheers

John

• Like 6

I think the Carvair is rather cute - maybe because my nose is almost as big...!! :D

That's another cracking model John, beautifully finished as usual! Thanks for the heads up on the u/c legs. I've got one in the stash with a Thunderbird Models sheet for an Eastern Provincial Airways machine. I now can't decide whether I prefer those B.U. decals...ho hum...!! 

That DC-4 is going to be a belter too...!!

Keith

• Like 1

Another very nice build John. Thanks for the landing gear advice it'll come in very handy as I've begun construction of one of mine - can't decide between British United here or Ansett-ANA, both schemes I recently bought from Classic-airlines.com (along with the Aer Turas decals too). I like the dirty streaked nacelles on both the Carvair and the Freighter. That's another cracking little model too.

Good choice for your next build. Hopefully we'll see it on here before too long.

Jeff

• Like 1

One I'd love to do, these guys plied Cook Strait for a while before the powers that be shut them down, when the Carvairs were parked at our local airport for quite a long time, I really liked them in this scheme. Photo while at Nelson Airport.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

Always nice to see an RFI from a few years ago spring back into life!

On 16/09/2021 at 01:33, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Wow!  I missed this one, but seeing as it was posted in 2017, no surprise that.  This is beautiful work!  What became of the DC-4?  I understand it's a really good kit, too.

It is a lovely little kit, I reckon Minicraft did a good job on all the Douglas airliners, and botched all the Boeing ones (The 737's aren't bad though). The DC-4 got finished a few years ago, here are a couple pf photos from that time.

turas8.jpg

turas10.jpg

Oddly enough, after not having built a Minicraft 'Big Doug' since this one, I currently have a DC-6 underway on the workbench. Cunard Eagle Airways is the intended livery.

Cheers

John

• Like 2

On 01/05/2017 at 15:27, Viking said:

Aviation Traders Limited Carvair.

1:144 Roden kit with Classic-airlines.com decals.

cv9.jpg

The Carvair  was developed to replace the Bristol Freighters used to transport cars & passengers across the English Channel to France, hence its name (Car-via-air).

Modified from C-54/DC-4 airframes it was considerably cheaper than an all new aircraft would have been. The modifications consisted of a completely new forward fuselage, relocating the cockpit on top, much like the later Boeing 747, and a new tail fin to counter it. Its has been widely thought that the fin was from a DC-7, but apparently this is not true, they were new build units.

The Roden kit build very well, although I did have to shim the upper inboard wings to avoid a gap where they meet the fuselage.  The main gear legs were way too short, initially resulting in the rear of the fuselage almost touching the ground. I removed them and inserted a platform about 4mm deep to attach the legs to, in order to achieve the 'sit' you see here.

I wasn't too keen on the kit supplied colour scheme for British Air Ferries, but found this 'British United' scheme at Classic-airlines.com, which I really like. There are also several others available. They are laser printed on constant film, so you have to cut each subject out individually. I can heartily recommend them though, they went on superbly and were easy to use.

cv1.jpg

cv2.jpg

cv3.jpg

cv4.jpg

cv6.jpg

'With something else - an easy choice - A Welsh Models Bristol Freighter.

cv7.jpg

cv8.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

Congrats John!

You've realy nailed the ugly Carvair. Makes me want to build the same kit!

Einar