Mosquito FB Mk6, 811 Squadron FAA - Finished

Here we are, almost finished. A few little bits to add and the cannon ports to be blocked off. 

IMG_1798_zpsn9fazhd9.jpg

And here it is with a coat of matt varnish. My favourite Liquitex varnish which is brilliant even after a single coat brushed on with a flat brush.

IMG_1804_zpslnccbzem.jpg

All but done, which is just as well as we are off on holiday in 10 days time and I have almost no time up till then.

• Like 1

Steve, I've never had any problems with this Liquitex. it dries pretty quickly, within a few minutes to touch dry. And I have never had it remain tacky. I use a wide flat acrylic brush and brush it on with quickish strokes across the wing and vertically on the fuselage. Occasionally I need to gently tease it out of crevices and raised detail as if the brush is too well charged it might accumulate. You do have to work quickly if you've put too much on as it dries quickly. I use main Xtracrylix paint and there's never been a reaction. On this Mossie, as I am in a rush to finish it I forgot to clean off the setting solutions after the transfers dried and as you can see there's no problem. I've also brushed it over Akan, Revell Aqueous and Humbrol acrylics with no problems. If you're worried perhaps get a small bottle and do some testing. I just dived in and got the big bottle as it seemed good value (and it was reduced in price. - The Scot in me can't resist a bargain).

I find it great. The first coat almost does the trick but can be a little streaky with some glossy bits showing through (probably the result of putting on a thin coat) and a second cooat gives a lovely overall matt finish. I used to use Xtracrylix matt varnish but I found I was applying coat after coat after coat. I went into a local artists supply shop and had a chat with one of the assitants (I find them excellent and knowledgeable) and he recommended this. its a bit pricey but it will last for ages.

Hope this is helpful

• Like 1

Finished. A taster here.  The remainder in the Gallery. Enjoyable build and the Tamiya quality shines through. The two coats of the Liquitex matt varnish give a really flat finish. 

IMG_1814_zpsqvmjmqgm.jpg

• Like 4

A beaut looking Mosquito & I really like that finish, a bit more matt than I seem to get from Vallejo matt varnish. I can see some liquitex in my future days to come. :) Thanks for that extra info on it.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...