Seeking Djibouti Mirage IIIC references

Mick Drover

Hi folks.

I'm in the process of building the Eduard Mirage IIIC as a Djibouti based jet in the sand/brown over blue scheme circa the early 80's. I've found a few photos on the net of general airframe photos taken from a distance but no real close ups that are at least of a good quality. Does any of the membership have photos of these jets and would be willing to share some? I've found a few around  the web but not a lot of them fill the quota of detail shots.

One other thing, I'm planning on arming it with 2 500L supersonic tanks and 2 AIM-9B Sidewinders. Is this a reasonable load out for this period and location?

Thanks,

Mick

Edited by Mick Drover

Hello, Mick

Well, supersonic tanks had been used by EC 3/10 in Djibouti:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/cf/e5/0c/cfe50c3e327268bb8551af59764a9fa8.jpg

http://aeromil-yf.pagesperso-orange.fr/les_mirage_iii_5.htm

https://www.escadrilles.org/histoire-et-histoires/12f-sur-reacteur-2/ (scroll down almost to the bottom of the page for Mirage photos)

Unfortunately, I have no idea about missiles used at the time. Not much, but I hope it helps. Cheers

Jure

Hello

There is a photo of Mirage III C, no 24, 10-LF, taken in Djibouti in March 1982, published in magazine Air Fan from June 1982. Aircraft on the photo carries two supersonic tanks and is armed with two Matra 550 Magic missiles. Cheers

Jure

Hi Mick,

A google search bring plenty of goof quality pics from Djibout' Mirage IIIC, and if you need close-up pics, any other Mirage IIIC will do, you don't need it to be from 3/10 Vexin. Or am I wrong?

About the missile, it seems to me that those IIIC were wired for Magic. Anyway, pictures show them mostly without missiles.

Mirage IIICs stationed at Djibouti between 1978 and 1988 were special version named Mirage IIIC DJ. As previously said, they were specially wired for carrying R550 Magic I, but with a peculiar tilted disposition similar to this one on this Argentinian Mirage : https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/17/89/93/07/magic110.jpg

Available here : https://www.1001maquettes.fr/accessoires-pour-avions/248332-pj-productions-pj481222-matra-magique-1-2-avec-des-pylones-ensemble-de-2-missiles-concus-pour-etre-utilise-avec-mirage-iii-5-.html

Indeed, when they carried Magics, they also carried 500 litres supersonic fuel tanks.

Hi

The Mirage IIIc that served in Djibouti were the only C's that were wired to carry the Sidewinders, there is a list of the a/c or look it up in the DTU book on the Mirage IIIc tome 1.

Aim at work just now so do not have any chance of looking up the a/c ser numbers.

I also think but could be wrong it was a grey u/side colour there are loads of colour photos, in French mags I have it will take time to sort.

Which kit and scale are you doing, that would help a lot.

Paul

• Like 1

The French magazine Air Action , Issue 9 from July 1989 has a lengthy article on 25 years of fighters in Djibouti covering the Skyraider , F-100 , Mirage IIIC and Mirage F1 with many colour images.      Although the image captions are repeated in English the main text is in French but a quick scan using schoolboy language skills gained and quickly lost over half a century ago shows only 'Magic' mentioned as a 'missile air-air'.

The images show the Mirage IIIC in two different forms of desert camouflage which judging by the dates of the images could just be  new (dark colours) and faded (lighter colours) , and carrying both supersonic and subsonic style droptanks with and without outer wing pylons which in turn variously do and do not carry missile launch rails.     The only image showing any AAM are of overall red inert Magic rounds (on canted out launch rails as already mentioned) with tail fins only being carried on aircraft with supersonic tanks.     Also shown being carried for some aircraft with subsonic tanks are optional centreline droptank and a 'locally designed camera pod made from a redundant 1200 litre drop tank'.

Yes, RP1P (the last P stands for 'photographique'). Since F-100, there is always in Djibouti few fuel tanks transformed in reco pod. For the Mirage F1, it's the RP35P ! Even the Jaguar had RP36P... ;)

20 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello, Mick

Well, supersonic tanks had been used by EC 3/10 in Djibouti:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/cf/e5/0c/cfe50c3e327268bb8551af59764a9fa8.jpg

http://aeromil-yf.pagesperso-orange.fr/les_mirage_iii_5.htm

https://www.escadrilles.org/histoire-et-histoires/12f-sur-reacteur-2/ (scroll down almost to the bottom of the page for Mirage photos)

Unfortunately, I have no idea about missiles used at the time. Not much, but I hope it helps. Cheers

Jure

Hi Jure,

EC 3/10 is the unit that I'm doing. It's the box decals which appear to have stood the test of time quite well. It's jet no. 87 from 3/10 based at Vexin in 1984. Looks like I'll be using the super tanks on it. Regarding the Matra 550's in your second comment, I think no. 87 would qualify for those as the jet I'm doing is two years after that date you mention. I don't have that reference information though for the photo. Thanks for the info anyway.

Mick

19 hours ago, Antoine said:

Hi Mick,

A google search bring plenty of goof quality pics from Djibout' Mirage IIIC, and if you need close-up pics, any other Mirage IIIC will do, you don't need it to be from 3/10 Vexin. Or am I wrong?

About the missile, it seems to me that those IIIC were wired for Magic. Anyway, pictures show them mostly without missiles.

Thanks Antoine. I've managed to find more photos of the sand/brown Mirage IIIC's, I think I'll have to stick with those for my painting.

I like the look of a mirage armed with either Sidewinder or Magic so I think I'll go with the 550's and supers as per Jure's previous post.

Mick

18 hours ago, eclipse said:

Mirage IIICs stationed at Djibouti between 1978 and 1988 were special version named Mirage IIIC DJ. As previously said, they were specially wired for carrying R550 Magic I, but with a peculiar tilted disposition similar to this one on this Argentinian Mirage : https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/17/89/93/07/magic110.jpg

Available here : https://www.1001maquettes.fr/accessoires-pour-avions/248332-pj-productions-pj481222-matra-magique-1-2-avec-des-pylones-ensemble-de-2-missiles-concus-pour-etre-utilise-avec-mirage-iii-5-.html

Indeed, when they carried Magics, they also carried 500 litres supersonic fuel tanks.

Thanks for the info eclipse. It sounds like the 550 tanks and 550's have the votes. I know the Kinetic Mirage IIIE/O has the cranked pylons in the box so I might raid them from there. 

Mick

15 hours ago, PaulT 876 said:

Hi

The Mirage IIIc that served in Djibouti were the only C's that were wired to carry the Sidewinders, there is a list of the a/c or look it up in the DTU book on the Mirage IIIc tome 1.

Aim at work just now so do not have any chance of looking up the a/c ser numbers.

I also think but could be wrong it was a grey u/side colour there are loads of colour photos, in French mags I have it will take time to sort.

Which kit and scale are you doing, that would help a lot.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Lots of the photographic info on the forum posts towards the light blue underside, your mention of the light grey is the first I've heard of it. Sadly I don't have those references and I don't think I'll be zooming out to get them!!! The kit is the 1/48 Eduard Mirage IIIC that I'll use the supplied EC3/10 markings on.

13 hours ago, Des said:

The French magazine Air Action , Issue 9 from July 1989 has a lengthy article on 25 years of fighters in Djibouti covering the Skyraider , F-100 , Mirage IIIC and Mirage F1 with many colour images.      Although the image captions are repeated in English the main text is in French but a quick scan using schoolboy language skills gained and quickly lost over half a century ago shows only 'Magic' mentioned as a 'missile air-air'.

The images show the Mirage IIIC in two different forms of desert camouflage which judging by the dates of the images could just be  new (dark colours) and faded (lighter colours) , and carrying both supersonic and subsonic style droptanks with and without outer wing pylons which in turn variously do and do not carry missile launch rails.     The only image showing any AAM are of overall red inert Magic rounds (on canted out launch rails as already mentioned) with tail fins only being carried on aircraft with supersonic tanks.     Also shown being carried for some aircraft with subsonic tanks are optional centreline droptank and a 'locally designed camera pod made from a redundant 1200 litre drop tank'.

I'd say that many a drop tank has been converted for use as another item across the board Des. 

11 hours ago, eclipse said:

Yes, RP1P (the last P stands for 'photographique'). Since F-100, there is always in Djibouti few fuel tanks transformed in reco pod. For the Mirage F1, it's the RP35P ! Even the Jaguar had RP36P... ;)

Sounds like a few subjects in there eclipse!

Thanks for the generous responses everyone. I think I know which way I'm headed!

Mick

On the lower surfaces subject, the Histoire & Collections book on the Mirage III mentions a light blue grey (paint code 6346-2204 from the Celomer catalogue).

Personally I'd start from a blue grey like the well known FS 36320 and add a bit of blue, would fit well with the pictures I've seen of these aircrafts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

On the lower surfaces subject, the Histoire & Collections book on the Mirage III mentions a light blue grey (paint code 6346-2204 from the Celomer catalogue).

Personally I'd start from a blue grey like the well known FS 36320 and add a bit of blue, would fit well with the pictures I've seen of these aircrafts

I'll give that a go Giorgio.

Thanks,

Mick

On 02/05/2017 at 10:05 AM, Mick Drover said:

based at Vexin in 1984. (...)

Mick

"Vexin" is not an airbase, it is a region in France and the name of the Escadron de chasse 3/10 (third escadron of the tenth escadre). EC 3/10 was only ever based in Djibouti, as it was created specifically for this job and took over the traditions of the previous units that had been based there. When the 10th escadre de chasse was dissolved in France, EC 3/10 lived on for a couple of years before being replaced by the newly created 4/30 Vexin, using Mirage F.1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ivand said:

"Vexin" is not an airbase, it is a region in France and the name of the Escadron de chasse 3/10 (third escadron of the tenth escadre). EC 3/10 was only ever based in Djibouti, as it was created specifically for this job and took over the traditions of the previous units that had been based there. When the 10th escadre de chasse was dissolved in France, EC 3/10 lived on for a couple of years before being replaced by the newly created 4/30 Vexin, using Mirage F.1.

Thanks ivand. Just goes to show how much I know about my locations. So when the 10th Escadre was dissolved, EC 3/10 continued on in Djibouti...correct?

Cheers,

Mick

6 hours ago, Mick Drover said:

Thanks ivand. Just goes to show how much I know about my locations. So when the 10th Escadre was dissolved, EC 3/10 continued on in Djibouti...correct?

Cheers,

Mick

Good afternoon Mick

The EC 3/10 was disbanded in June 1988 and operated the Mirage IIIC until that date , in July 1988 EC 4/30 Vexin was formed on Djibouti operating the Mirage F1 .

The EC 4/33 Vexin was created june 1994 by resuming  the traditions and the missions of the EC 4/30 Vexin. He was  initially equipped with Mirage F1,  on the Air base 188 Djibouti .
The squadron begins to receive its first Mirage 2000C in September, 2001, followed in the middle of July 2002 by Mirage 2000D who allow the definitive withdrawal of the Mirage F1.

The EC 4/33 is replaced since November 3rd, 2008 by the EC  3/11 .

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5

What he said! :D  We seem to get our information from the same source.

27 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

The EC 4/33 is replaced since November 3rd, 2008 by the Squadron of hunting 3/11 .

For clarity: escadron de chasse = fighter squadron / pursuit squadron. (la chasse = hunting)

Edited by ivand
  • Like 1

On 03/05/2017 at 10:27 PM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Mick

The EC 3/10 was disbanded in June 1988 and operated the Mirage IIIC until that date , in July 1988 EC 4/30 Vexin was formed on Djibouti operating the Mirage F1 .

The EC 4/33 Vexin was created june 1994 by resuming  the traditions and the missions of the EC 4/30 Vexin. He was  initially equipped with Mirage F1,  on the Air base 188 Djibouti .
The squadron begins to receive its first Mirage 2000C in September, 2001, followed in the middle of July 2002 by Mirage 2000D who allow the definitive withdrawal of the Mirage F1.

The EC 4/33 is replaced since November 3rd, 2008 by the EC  3/11 .

Patrice

Thank you for the information Patrice. I'm beginning to understand the chronology of the units now and when they were formed. Is the "Vexin" suffix an indication of where the unit comes from, not necessarily where it is based as per EC 4/33 "Vexin"?

An F-1 and a 2000D would be a good accompaniment to the IIIC in the sand/brown colours.

Cheers,

Mick

On 03/05/2017 at 10:50 PM, ivand said:

What he said! :D  We seem to get our information from the same source.

For clarity: escadron de chasse = fighter squadron / pursuit squadron. (la chasse = hunting)

Thanks for the additional info ivand.

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Some lovely machines there, especially the IIIR/RDDs :)

Martin

There certainly are Martin.

• 3 weeks later...