Airfix B-17, have I dropped a b*****k

Graham T

Thought I'd be clever & install the ball turret AFTER assembling the fuselage but now a dry fitting seems to suggest this is going to be a problem with the turret & its cradle not fitting through the hole from the outside!  Can anyone confirm whether this is possible?  If I have to spilt the fuselage I'd rather do it now than after the painting stage! 

Hi Graham, 

when i built mine i me I did a test fit and the ball doesn't fit after gluing together. It has to go in before the fuselage is joined. 

Looks like you will will have to pull it apart to slot it in and then glue it back together again. 

Sorry to confirm the bad news 

16 hours ago, Antb said:

Hi Graham, 

when i built mine i me I did a test fit and the ball doesn't fit after gluing together. It has to go in before the fuselage is joined. 

Looks like you will will have to pull it apart to slot it in and then glue it back together again. 

Sorry to confirm the bad news 

Oh FFFFFFFFFFFFFIDDLESTICKS!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Oh FFFFFFFFFFFFFIDDLESTICKS!!!!!!!!

You would think that you could slot the ball and cradle in afterwards to make it easier in the long run. Just doesn't work as far as I could tell. 

The way you have to install the cradle makes it awkward to fit after joining the fuselage together. It would be loads better if there was a different style of fitment for the cradle to go into, rather than the "bar" across the top that holds the whole thing in. 

You could take a razor saw and just cut a small section out, to save you splicing the full thing? A JLC micro-saw has a kerf hardly worth mentioning (maybe a third of a millimetre?), you could simply cut a section out, pop the turret in, glue it up, I'm sure using Tamiya extra thin glue to bond the cutaway section back in place would take care of most of the join, and failing that, a small amount of filler thereafter would sort the rest? 

I've not built the kit but I love fixing my own (numerous) mistakes. 

1 hour ago, Britman said:

What did the instructions say? 

To put the turret in before joining the fuselage halves but any modeller will usually have deviated from the suggested sequence on many occasions on various kits.  I should have dry fitted before doing so as per Antb above.  The problem is that if you add the ball turret so early in the building it's a prime candidate for damage (broken guns, filling with "crud" etc., etc.) during the rest of the process.  Anyway, it's in now after I split the fuselage (no mean feat as it also meant splitting the floor - had to take a razor saw to both sides of the turret & go pretty deep!) & seam redressed.  Hopefully it'll all be OK in the end.

It is probably thirty years or so since I last built a B17 but if I remember rightly it was possible to build and attach the turret but leave the clear bottom piece until last, after painting. I don't know if this is possible with the new kit?

Can't you just use some coarse sandpaper and carefully ream out the hole until everything just fits? More than likely no one will notice what you've done. I don't have the Airfix kit, so I could be way out to lunch on this...

Here's the relevant page from the instruction sheet.  It looks like the turret support assembly is designed so it can be inserted after the fuselage is closed up, but I haven't actually assembled the thing so I don't know.

SN

Instructions%2001.jpg

Rivet counters, cover your ears, shield your eyes, I would just trim the mount back so you could fit it through the hole. With a dod of CA glue on, it would be able to be installed just fine

Is it the mount that installs onto the "roof" of the aircraft or the turret flange which must be just inside the belly of the aircraft that stops you inserting it after closing the fuselage? Trimming the former slightly should not be  a huge issue, but reducing the latter might take strength away from the side pivots on the ball turret. That strength could maybe be restored by some card cross braces between the A arms that support the turret ring, shaped to clear the turret rotation of course.

Steve.