This is a quick fun build to finish the month after putting a lot of effort into a Lynx.

I'm not sure where my current enthusiasm for airliners has come from, but I am enjoying building them, even if the large white surfaces are still a bit of a challenge for my brush painting skills, especially over grey plastic like this one.

A British Airways Trident was the second aircraft that I ever flew in (the first was a Wasp), back in 1980.  Tridents used to do the shuttle run from Edinburgh to Heathrow, making good use of their advanced zero-visibility automated landing systems ( a world first at the time) to keep running when the other airlines (in those days British Midland and B-Cal) came to a halt.  

wpfc005f74_05_06.jpg

This is the old Airfix kit of 1966 vintage (mine was an early 1990s re-issue), pretty much out the box. 

wpd8d5a5b6_05_06.jpg

Cockpit windows are a little dodge and would definitely benefit from filling and a decal, but otherwise it is a nicely fitting kit.  Of course it has a number of accuracy challenges, not least the cabin window layout, lack of wing to fuselage fairing and the wings are too straight.  But unless you know all about Tridents, you would never guess!

wpaa20b624_05_06.jpg

I altered the nose wheel to be offset to one side and used Krystal Klear for the cabin windows (with a black "screen" behind them), which seems to have worked really well (although a couple of them haven't fully cleared yet).

wp53201883_05_06.jpg

Otherwise, what you see is what you get in the box!

wp0a6992b5_05_06.jpg

FredT :)

Edited by gengriz
Images moved from Photobucket
  • Like 25

Lovely Trident , remember them well on the Edinburgh/Heathrow shuttle.

0600 phone call one Saturday morning in the early 80s to report for duty at 0700 in civvies , through to Edinburgh for 8 and onto the shuttle to London to collect a prisoner , back up again , deposit him in HMP Barlinnie to await trial and back to the office for 1300 without ever setting foot in the actual terminal at Heathrow.     Met were waiting at the aircraft door, down the stairs airside into a Landrover to the airport Police Office to collect my body and back to the same plane via the same route for the return.     Felt rather sorry for him on the way back and was going to buy him a drink but at that time anyway they only served water on the shuttle  ..............'lucky white heather' as the late Rikki Fulton would say.

Edited by Des
  • Like 2