Thunder Models - Scammell TRMU30 & Bergepanzer Hetzer

PhilHendry

So, today I got the weekly Hannants  newsletter. In which are listed some new products from Thunder Models... And this is where my confusion begins. Their Scammell TRMU30 tank transporter, and their Bergepanzer 38 Hetzer (late) are both priced at £54.99... Naively, I would have expected the former to have been roughly double that, and the latter, perhaps, ⅔ of that. What gives, do you think?

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Phil , I think one of them must be a misprint , there`s a heck of a difference in size . I really fancy the Scammell transporter , having already

four TTs in this scale . I must confess I`ve never heard of Thunder kits before . Do you have any experience of them ? , quality , accuracy ? .

Cheers ,

Don .

They only appeared last year and have only released 2 kits so far.  The Case VA1 tractor and loader.  They seem to have been well received on review sites.  But it's a big step from a little tractor to a full tank transporter.  The IBG Recovery tractor has come in for its fair share of criticism on other sites about accuracy.  Both manufacturers claim to have used original data and there is no shortage of surviving subjects for reference.  So it will be interesting to see what is inside the Thunder box.  They are on record as saying that they would not have started on the Scammells had they known that IBG were also working on them.  But if IBG may not have made the best job of it, perhaps it will be as well that they did.  So far, all totally unexpected subjects.  I wonder what will be next.

Regarding cost, the principal driver is tooling - not materials.  The difference in material cost between the Scammell and the Hetzer is probably only pennies.  And with rapid prototyping and CNC toolmaking the cost and time of that is falling.  Shipping has an effect: Fresh air in part empty boxes costs just as much to ship as content, meaning box sizes need to be minimised.

But I'm still surprised that the 2 kits can be exactly the same price.  Especially when every other tank transporter kit out there is 50-100% more expensive.  The Merit Diamond T's are the most recent comparators, and you're lucky to get them for less than £90.  But then the IBG Scammell tractor is only about £40, so is another £15 or so fair for taking off the top hamper and adding a trailer?  The trailer may be large but it isn't complex.  Not forgetting that the manufacture cost of almost anything is less in China than even Eastern Europe.

Yeah, it's an odd one. Tooling costs will be the thing which mainly determine price. As you say, the trailer is large, but fairly plain, so tooling probably won't be difficult or time-consuming, even if it is a large tool.

I'm tempted to order the TRMU30, just because it is (potentially!) such a bargain!

I`m tempted too , lets hope it matches the Accurate Armour one , page 27 , Ready for Inspection , "The Heavy Gang ",

only at a fraction of the cost , thank goodness ! .

The Thunder Bergehetzer is on eBay for £42 inc shipping from Singapore or £48 in the UK.  It's €50-60 inc shipping from Europe.  So Hannants might be taking the p*** a bit at £55 + shipping.  MiG is charging top price in Europe, €60+ inc shipping.

If anyone is desperate for Bergehetzer info, here's a test build: http://www.lzmodels.com/135-German-Bergepanzer-Hetzer.html.  LZ want €55 plus shipping from Eire, so that's about £60.

Wonderland Models are also advertising the Transporter for £55, with the recovery and artillery tractor for £42.

Now, while we're talking Scammells, how about one of these?  Mechanical Horse.  RAF and Navy both had the post-war Scarab.

Image result for scammell mechanical horse military

Image result for scammell mechanical horse military

• Like 1

I hadn't noticed that.  It would seem to be entirely appropriate, yes.  That one belongs to the RLC museum.  Noting the divisional markings, I'd like to see the airportable version ...............

23 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

I hadn't noticed that.  It would seem to be entirely appropriate, yes.  That one belongs to the RLC museum.  Noting the divisional markings, I'd like to see the airportable version ...............

LOL!!!

Let's not forget that our first helicopter-portable vehicle was in fact a Citroen 2CV pickup.  In the days of the asthmatic Westland Whirlwind that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.  Someone here in Bristol has a replica.