1/72 Royal Aircraft Factory BE4

Who needs a kit?  Not me...

When the local paper ran a story in 2013 about the first plane to land in my local area I thought I'd build a model.  The plane was the BE4 and the two RFC occupants landed near a local pub just over a mile from my home due to "engine problems".  As it landed in a field next to the pub one wonders.  The pub and the field are still there but the BE4 took two later occupants to Glory when the rudder snapped off, an early example of metal fatigue, and well before many more planes and men took a similar route over Flanders fields.

Anyway, here's the model, which I built in a couple of weeks to enter in the local group's annual competition.  It didn't place but both model and I got our photos and a story in the local paper.  The model is built from balsa and brass wire, the prop was carved from a coffee stirrer!

IMG_1668

Cheers

Will

• Like 14

On 2017-4-29 at 7:46 PM, malpaso said:

Who needs a kit?  Not me...

When the local paper ran a story in 2013 about the first plane to land in my local area I thought I'd build a model.  The plane was the BE4 and the two RFC occupants landed near a local pub just over a mile from my home due to "engine problems".  As it landed in a field next to the pub one wonders.  The pub and the field are still there but the BE4 took two later occupants to Glory when the rudder snapped off, an early example of metal fatigue, and well before many more planes and men took a similar route over Flanders fields.

Anyway, here's the model, which I built in a couple of weeks to enter in the local group's annual competition.  It didn't place but both model and I got our photos and a story in the local paper.  The model is built from balsa and brass wire, the prop was carved from a coffee stirrer!

IMG_1668

Cheers

Will

Gives an entirely new meaning to the term "drinking and driving!"

Selwyn

Lovely model of an early type which I have not seen before. Where did you get the plans? I would be interested in a set if they were available as I too enjoy scratch building these early types.

P

Edited by pheonix
spelling corrections

1 hour ago, pheonix said:

Lovely model of an early type which I ave no seen before. Where did you get the plans? I would be interested in a set if they were available as I too enjoy scratch building these early types.

P

Thanks for your message.  The plans were in the Putnam history of the Royal Aircraft Factory.  That book is chock-full of highly modellogenic plans of sometimes odd aircraft.  SE1 anybody?  http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/raf_se-1.php

The Putnam drawings are small but adequate for making a 72nd scale model, often there's only a handful of photos to prove they existed at all.   Some of the Putnam drawings appear on the website above or at http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vues/3vues.html

I liked building it in balsa, but it might be easier to build a more detailed model in plastic card, though it would probably be more fragile.  Good luck if you have a go, I'd recommend it.  Nobody knows they can't scratchbuild unless they try, and anyone you show the result to who isn't a plastic modeller is significantly more impressed by a handmade model than even the finest Tamigawa!

Cheers

Will