1/72 Matchbox Fury

Here's another of my older builds.  The Matchbox Hawker Fury, which is a lovely, easily assembled kit.  I think this must have been a latter production as the sprues were two different shades of silver, quite restrained for Matchbox.  For a parked aeroplane the u/c should be shortened.  I started to rig but discovered invisible thread was...invisible, so gave it a miss.  I plan to try rigging on my next biplane, honest.  Metal panels are good old school Humbrol 11 whilst the doped areas are Revell Aluminium with matt varnish to dull it back.  All brushed with enamels, I look froward to trying a silver plane again now I have an airbrush.

20170422_105908

20170422_105917

20170422_105929

Cheers

Will

• Like 35

That is an excellent rendering of a venerable kit. The contrast between the cowling and the doped wings is very good indeed - so difficult to get to look right. Never mind the rigging - it looks a great model.

P

A great looking Fury Will. You've done a lovely job with the silver tones. I love to see these old kits getting the care and attention they deserve rather than just being cast aside because they're not the current state of the art.

Over the years, Matchbox trotted out some wonderful biplanes, and this is a fine example.

Humbrol 11 is old school as you said, but it's worked a treat here. I must admit No 11 has always served me well over many years of modelling.

Thanks for sharing it with us here.

great looking build,  love these old matchbox biplanes, got a few furys in the stash.  i like rigging my planes but its personnal choice, they look fine without rigging, and i agree that badly done rigging can ruin a good model.

Nice job. I have this kit in the stash, although it is the reboxed Revell version. I use invisible thread for rigging, a shade called "Invisible Smoke". I dab a cotton bud or kitchen towel in good old Hu11, and draw the thread through it. It then makes it visible, but still subtle. Anyroad rigging or not, good build and I like the work you've done on the propeller.

Nice.

You may not need an airbrush for a silver finish.  Halfords spray cans can and do give a superb finish.  I use their Gloss Aluminium for all my NMF/Aluminium finishes.

I believe this was one of Matchbox's first - if not the first - 1/72 aircraft kits. It's certainly one of their better kits, but not one I had as a lad.

Matchbox had a brilliant illustrator too - Roy Huxley. Funny how the two greatest British box top artists were both called Roy!

Anyway, that's a lovely model Will. Thanks for posting.

Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IanC said:

I believe this was one of Matchbox's first - if not the first - 1/72 aircraft kits. It's certainly one of their better kits, but not one I had as a lad.

Matchbox had a brilliant illustrator too - Roy Huxley. Funny how the two greatest British box top artists were both called Roy!

Anyway, that's a lovely model Will. Thanks for posting.

Ian

Yes, it was the first Matchbox kit.

http://www.matchboxkits.org/product_info.php?cPath=27_34_42&products_id=431

Chris