1/72 - Douglas DC-3, C-47D & C-48C Skytrain/Dakota by HobbyBoss - C-47D released - C-48C in 2023-2024

Homebee

Well i sold all my Italeri ones to be replaced by the Airfix ones.

I found out that the Airfix one is so much better then every DC3/C47  i build before after building the Airfix one as soon as it came out.

Nevertheles i am always interrested about another one to see if they can do better.

From the old  kits i think the Esci one looked the best but it was a little underscaled..that was a pity but Esci did go through the effort to make several interesting versions of it..

It was sometimes a horrendous kit when you bought one that was warped, well to be honest the most ones i had where warped on the fuselage.

The Italeri one is about the same size as the Airfix one and was also widely available.

The thing is that the forward fuselage of the Italeri is way to deep and the engines are also to big more like a p&w 2000

Nacelles are way off, most of the people don't care or can't see those differences.

I can't blame them.

At the moment the Airfix one is the most correct one , the forward fuselage cross section just at the side cockpit window is a sort of double bubble shaped.

This shape was due to the development from the DC2 as this used the same cockpit upper section(without using the same window framing), beyond that section the DC3 got wider...

Well as every kit is not perfect i like to use the Esci wheels on this Airfix one and i always have to scribe a cockpit escape hatch and i would have love tho see extra windows and passenger seats and door on this one to make a proper DC3 in airline service.

I maybe temped to buy the Hobby Boss one to make a nice comparison....

May-Airfix_1920x1080--.jpg

Edited by janneman36
picci added
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

That canopy's a big step forward - much less faffing around to get it in place. And the emergency hatch above the cockpit is there. Another one without a trim tab on the starboard aileron, though ...

• Like 1

In a nice way - this C-47 kit doesn't look that bad !!

I wonder what's with the small pieces of square plastic sitting inside the cockpit side window panels, should these be removed before the clear part is attached?

Anyhow - at first glance there seems to be a lot to like about this new kit. Hopefully it measures up well when the reviewers get their hands on one.

Cheers.. Dave.    

19 minutes ago, dalea said:

Check the prices at HLJ.

A-hem.... even the "sale" price seems a little surprising??

https://hlj.com/product/HOB27264

In the good old Hatton's days, I picked up a new tooled Airfix kit for only GBP12.00, and it was even less than that once the VAT was removed.

Cheers.. Dave.

76.20 AUD !!!

Ha ha ha aha hahaaaaaa.

And again:

Ha ha ha aha hahaaaaaa.

Once again, typical HobbyBoss: an expensive bug of inaccuracies (even if this one has less inaccuracies, it is still VERY expensive).

• Like 1

It would have to be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than the Airfix kit to justify that price!

As I have 3 Airfix kits in the stash I'll be passing on this one I think.

Gavingav, I can't see overlapping panels but that is probably just me.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dalea said:

Check the prices at HLJ.

Much as I like a lot of HLJ's prices, this looks like one kit I won't be buying from them. Ebay out of China, $48.00 free delivery sounds more like me. :D

Steve.

• Like 2

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 8:05 AM, DIO said:

76.20 AUD !!!

Ha ha ha aha hahaaaaaa.

And again:

Ha ha ha aha hahaaaaaa.

Once again, typical HobbyBoss: an expensive bug of inaccuracies (even if this one has less inaccuracies, it is still VERY expensive).

Do you actually have this kit in front of you and, are you actually able to confirm that it is, as you succinctly put it, a "bag of inaccuracies"? I have absolutely no problem with modellers criticising kits - provided the criticism is justified and verifiable. Where I do have a problem is that when kit "a" is produced by manufacturer "b" , it is simply assumed that it will be a clunker! I do how however agree with you on the price which, seems ludicrously high even at the "reduced" price of £45. Especially as I got a couple of Airfix C-47s at less than £20 each

Allan

• Like 5

On 8/7/2017 at 5:54 PM, Albeback52 said:

Do you actually have this kit in front of you and, are you actually able to confirm that it is, as you succinctly put it, a "bag of inaccuracies"? I have absolutely no problem with modellers criticising kits - provided the criticism is justified and verifiable. Where I do have a problem is that when kit "a" is produced by manufacturer "b" , it is simply assumed that it will be a clunker! I do how however agree with you on the price which, seems ludicrously high even at the "reduced" price of £45. Especially as I got a couple of Airfix C-47s at less than £20 each

Allan

Read what I am writing a little more carefully.

On 08/07/2017 at 08:54, Albeback52 said:

Allan

Agreed!

The kit is a tad on the rich side, but the critique is uncalled from  @DIO  

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

22 hours ago, DIO said:

Read what I am writing a little more carefully.

I read it fully before posting and can see nothing there that would cause me to alter my comment.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

2 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

I read it fully before posting and can see nothing there that would cause me to alter my comment.

Allan

Ok. Let me set it in different words then: If this is a very accurate kit, it will be a big surprise for me, since this is by far not what I am used to from Trumpyboss!

(I think there is no need to mention anything about the price)

Sorry, HB, not at that price ... I'll wait and see what they are going for in the shops here, but it would need to be a lot less than $AUS75-odd to tempt me away from the Airfix offering (and I need a few more - there were, after all, something like 200 C-47s and their derivatives that migrated to the Australian civil register after the war ...).

3 hours ago, Kevin Callahan said:

That price is indeed stratospheric. Is this a new approach by Trumpeter/Hobbyboss? The Trumpeter MiG-31 is $51 from the big H, which also seems quite stiff. 

Well, that's capitalism for you - the latest batch of Trumpeter kits (Su-24, MiG-31, Su-34) are too expensive for what you get in my eyes, so I am not going to buy them.  

If enough people do buy them, albeit grudgingly, Trumpeters pricing will remain high. 

Cheers,

Andre

I think I'll only ever build one C-47. So I'm a little tempted, but only after prices come down on ebay.

7 hours ago, gioca said:

In italian DIO, from the latin Deus,  means GOD !  

In Hungarian it means Walnut.

I'll get me coat.

Jay

• Like 2