Tamiya Porsche Boxster

Ok Its primer time again.

Well I'm waiting for parts on my delorean to dry so I thought I would crack on with the interior.

34356615475_a7fbfe501d_b.jpg

so again the bottom is bright yellow so I need to get rid of that, and the interior I have glued on the role bar and the seats.

34356689255_8890e0a117_b.jpg

I have used the flexi files that my very good friend introduced me to they are very good.

34357346855_7e2f887671_b.jpg

for all my other primer needs I use AK primer and filler  AK758 Grey I use the whit and black also.

Now another problem is the steering wheel, in the kit they provide this one

34357358075_654805fbaf_b.jpg

but on my car it looks like this

IMG_1289

Thankfully I have another Tamiya Kit of a 911 that gives you two options of wheel :laugh:

33972984960_4c3f435e0c_b.jpg

Edited by ian wallace
  • Like 1

Hi Ian,

You're coming along well with this one.

Everything is so neat. Your workbench looks incredibly neat and clean. Completely unlike mine that looks like someone has had a wild party on it!

Maybe if I'm brave I'll post a 'picture of shame' of it...

Love the Lapis Blue colour.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers, Alan.

12 hours ago, Alan R said:

Hi Ian,

You're coming along well with this one.

Everything is so neat. Your workbench looks incredibly neat and clean. Completely unlike mine that looks like someone has had a wild party on it!

Maybe if I'm brave I'll post a 'picture of shame' of it...

Love the Lapis Blue colour.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers, Alan.

Thanks Alan I'm very anal with all my kit, when my friend comes down to visit me for a days modelling he always takes the piddle.

34336671736_c6af96e5d7_b.jpg

• Like 1

Good morning,

So the underneath of the car.

In the Tamiya bible it tells you to paint different bits different colours, but having owned one of this cars I know it is not the case.

the underside is as bland as a mc donald's happy meal.

33992248580_f245f10edf_b.jpg

As you can see its all black, very boring, I have sprayed the bottom using Vallejo air black and the engine aluminium.

34219677112_5140c95d9b_b.jpg

Engine, arms, roll bars etc. all done :speak_cool:

please if anyone has any tips or tricks, or any feed back please drop me a line, as I am always very welcome to suggestions and help.

Thank you all in advance

11 minutes ago, ian wallace said:

please if anyone has any tips or tricks, or any feed back please drop me a line

Hi Ian,

That floor-pan looks great. Car bottoms are usually pretty bland, especially after a few miles on the road!

You probably already know this but, one thing that some people do to make the base look less boring, to use your phrase, is to wash it with a slightly different colour.

Usually a very dilute 'wash' colour just allowed to flow into all the nooks and crannies, then left to dry. For the black floor pan, I would suggest a very dark brown wash. I know that Tamiya do have special enamel based wash colours for highlighting detail. As far as I can tell, most people here on BM recommend using enamel washes on acrylic as it doesn't damage the acrylic finish, and you can tone it down a bit by wiping off the excess with a cloth or kitchen towel lightly dampened with enamel thinners. The washes are available from Hiroboy. Link: http://www.hiroboy.com/Tamiya_Panel_Line_Accent_Colour_Dark_Brown__87140--product--9747.html. That's the dark brown, but they do a black and a brown as well. Hiro Boy aso have Tamiya weathering stes. They look like cosmetic packs, complete with soft brush!

I'll be honest, I have only done washes on small areas, like engines and 1/48th scale aircraft cockpits, but I have to say, it does really pop out the detail and make it look a bit more realistic.

Hoppe that helps.

Cheers, Alan.

Thank you Alan for your tips, I do agree on what you say about washes, I tend to do this after the model is finished, on this model I don't think I will be adding any weathering as I want it to look brand new like my old car when I picked her up,

but I do like using pastels and washes etc

I use these bad boys for washes http://www.florymodels.co.uk/washes/

and the Tamiya pastels

and Vallejo pigments

33536980164_a49d907278_b.jpg

Edited by ian wallace

27 minutes ago, ian wallace said:

but I do like using pastels and washes etc

Hi Ian,

You're ahead of me on this one, then!

I plan to use washes on some of my cars, especially around the engines etc. From my little amount of experience, it does make the engine and gearbox 'come alive' so to speak.

Amazing work on the Boxster!

Cheers, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Oops!, spelling!

Hi Ian,

A quick question or two, if you don't mind.

You are using Alclad paints on your Boxster. How do you find them? I really want to try them, but I am a bit concerned about spending a fortune and then not getting on with them!

By the look of your exhaust system, they do produce an excellent finish! Did you spray the Alclad?

I also noticed that you have a Molotow 'chrome' pen. Is it as good as so many people have said it is? I have one on its way from Hiro Boy, and would like your assessment.

Thanks in advance, Alan.

58 minutes ago, Alan R said:

Hi Ian,

A quick question or two, if you don't mind.

You are using Alclad paints on your Boxster. How do you find them? I really want to try them, but I am a bit concerned about spending a fortune and then not getting on with them!

By the look of your exhaust system, they do produce an excellent finish! Did you spray the Alclad?

I also noticed that you have a Molotow 'chrome' pen. Is it as good as so many people have said it is? I have one on its way from Hiro Boy, and would like your assessment.

Thanks in advance, Alan.

Alclad paints are very good, I have the whole set, I would say always use there primers, grey for flat colours and the gloss black for the chrome colours.

on there website they do give you information on what primers to use with different finishes/colours.

you can only spray the allcad as the pigments are very thin, I have tried to touch up with a brush but the paint is to fine for this.

the only problem I have had is with the chrome finish, but I didn't use the primer to go with it.

that brings me onto the liquid chrome.

at the moment I have only used the pen, and I love it.

I am waiting for the refill so I can shoot this through my gun, :laugh:

I hope this helps

Edited by ian wallace

So next update

This is all of the back section of the car all done apart from the breaks which I will do with the front all at the same time.

34221400872_c04d0b0e12_b.jpg

I'm going to crack on with the front, and then leave this alone and try and finish my delorean that has been pushed aside.

I think my round to it list is getting bigger and bigger.

• Like 1

Just for Alan.

I have decided to add some wash to the underside of the Porsche

for washes I use Flory washes http://www.florymodels.co.uk/washes/

33569847603_ed3e70b831_b.jpg

I hope you can see that now the sun is out the Vallejo air aluminium and the Alclad  really shining

So I have a bottle of Flory (Dark Dirt) glass Tamiya pot a very fine brush and said car.

Tiny bit of wash in jar

use brush on car

wait to dry

clean off access with cotton bud with a little of gob from your own mouth

jobs a gooden

will update later

tootles :speak_cool:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ian wallace said:

Just for Alan.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that. I will watch with interest.

I have book-marked the Flory web-site. I think that I'll have to give them a try.

Thanks also, for the answers to my questions about Alclad and the chrome pen. I'll have to get some of those (Alclad).

The Boxster is looking really good!

All the best, Alan.

1 minute ago, Alan R said:

I have book-marked the Flory web-site. I think that I'll have to give them a try.

If I was you get the whole set of 8 and there sanding sticks are very good, or even better wait and go to the NATS in November as they usely do some good deals

30 minutes ago, ian wallace said:

There you go Alan just for you :speak_cool:

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that.

It looks really good. I'll have to do the same on my Ferrari 348! Engine is just crying out for that!

It makes it all pop.

Cheers, Alan.

3 minutes ago, Alan R said:

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that.

It looks really good. I'll have to do the same on my Ferrari 348! Engine is just crying out for that!

It makes it all pop.

Cheers, Alan.

Your welcome, the washes are very good, my very close friend Simon told me about them and I have started to use them on all my models now.

you never need a lot of this stuff, just use a 0000 brush, dab it on and it will follow the lines and wholes etc,

then let it dry and stick a cotton bud in your mouth for the right dampness and wipe away as much or as little as you want,

the wash doesn't taste to bad ether:worry:

• Like 1

So in with the interior of the Porsche

I have glued the seats and coated all the parts with AK primer and then shot some black all over everything.

Unfortunately the inside is nearly as boring as the outside, Black Black and more Black.

when I was specking up the car I did by the chrome pack which meant that the hand brake and gear shift was in chrome, the dial surrounds were chrome etc.

but the mouldings on this model does not allow me to add any of these extras, with out it looking bloody awful.

So black it is

34341840816_27c3f88835_b.jpg

34341852356_280f54a9c4_b.jpg

34341858806_29a4bfbecd_b.jpg

33998362490_b0d1516c21_b.jpg

33998581740_5841ab6181_b.jpg

I put the decals on with miro sol and set then afterwards I shot some matt over the top to seal them in.

even through it does not show it very well, but the decals do look painted on and the finish is very nice,

I have also noticed that this camera always picks up the dust :angry:

well that's all the underneath and insides done, all that's left is the clear on the body and the disk brakes, and wheels.

then I have a trump card to put on the model to finish her off. :coolio:

• Like 1

Looking so good! My eyesight must be crappier that I thought! I can't see any dust!

I can never get a model done as quick as this.

Enjoying your build though!.

Cheers, Alan.

P.S. Hiro Boy is listing the Boxster as in stock. I might just be tempted...

Edited by Alan R

43 minutes ago, Alan R said:

Looking so good! My eyesight must be crappier that I thought! I can't see any dust!

I can never get a model done as quick as this.

Enjoying your build though!.

Cheers, Alan.

P.S. Hiro Boy is listing the Boxster as in stock. I might just be tempted...

Difference is Alan is I have nothing else to do, i.e no family life to get in the way.

I can do abit of modelling then a job or two that gives time for the paint or glue to dry and then back to do some more.

yesterday for example I just shot some primer and then I took a call for a lady that had a swarm of bees that she wanted removed, so by the time I picked the up put them in a box and moved them to once of my sights and got back the primer was nice and dry and on to the next thing.

I make most of my time after work etc and then when I have my son, its supper dad all weekend until he has to go back.

also this modelling keeps my mine off things also   

Edited by ian wallace
  • Like 1

Hi Ian,

True. I do have to fit it around other tasks.

My full-time job as a software engineer (pays for the good things in life!), and house-hold jobs. I had to re-hang two kitchen cabinet doors this weekend, as the screws had become so loose that they weren't holding the doors up. Fiddly and time consuming, but satisfying to get them working properly again.

I also so some of the ironing. I can do it whilst watching a movie or listening to my music.

I also get a short time after getting in from work before my wife gets home which is my time. Usually about 45 minutes to an hour & half! I make the most of that. I can fit in cooking tea in the time as well. The trouble is, like most of the guys on this forum, I have several kits on the go at any one time.

Still, I get great pleasure from the hobby, and it is very satisfying when I finish one.

Cheers, Alan.

Edited by Alan R

ok so  this might be the last update for today

The clear coat is on.

I am using the Zero paints clearcoat lacquer, which is pre-thinned read for your airbrush.

and you should get something shiny like this

34254008651_b9488c22bc_b.jpg

34226110572_46c604df34_b.jpg

33542878084_1cdc3b5520_b.jpg

33999998330_0e1f33f831_b.jpg

YES YES I know what you guys are going to say (look its got orange peal all over it )

and your point is!

at this stage It is not important, reason is that I have a decal on the bonnet/boot and a decal on the boot to go on.

So I have shot two coats of clear, then I will put this little beauty in the airing cupboard (I can get away with this living on my own).

then after a couple of days when I know the clear is dry then I will put the decals on and then shoot another two or three coats.

then fingers crossed, .......................:rolleyes: 

Hi Guys

before I go I need some help

on my car I had a set of these

does anyone know where I can find them or something close, I have looked on hiroboy but no joy unless I cant see for looking

thank you all in advance

IMG_1283

Hi Ian,

I had a quick look on Hiroboy and found this:

http://www.hiroboy.com/124_C1_Porsche_Boxster_Spyder_Resin_Transkit_Fujimi--product--9839.html

The wheels in the trans-kit seem to look the same using the ole mk1 eyeball...

However at 49 quid, I don't expect that you want to invest in all of that just for a set of wheels...

Cheers, Alan.