Soviet Cossacks WWII, Italeri 1/35

Something I think of when I think or Russia is the Cossack horsemen.  Not always popular with the rest of the population, the Cossacks are an iconic peoples who have played a major part in Russian history.

This will be a build of the Italeri 'Soviet Cavalry WWII Cossacks' kit - or, probably, two of their kits.  Each box contains two riders and their horses.

2017-sov-cossack-01.jpg

Three sprues, containing two riders and their horses.

2017-sov-cossack-02.jpg

Instructions: the long and complicated short and simple instructions ... extending over many pages the back of the box.

2017-sov-cossack-03.jpg

At some stage Zvezda sold the same figures, offering two sets of figures (i.e. four figures in one box).  This is , I think, the first time I've tackled a Zvezda kit - even by association.

Thanks to Basilisk for giving the go-ahead for this build.

• Like 4

Will you be creating a little scene for them robert maybe a field gun, don't want to create work for you but a nice vignette in the making there,,just noticed you have them as 1/48 and i see 1/35 on the box?

Edited by Hewy

5 hours ago, Hewy said:

Will you be creating a little scene for them robert maybe a field gun, don't want to create work for you but a nice vignette in the making there,,just noticed you have them as 1/48 and i see 1/35 on the box?

Thanks Hewy, I've corrected the scale.

Not a field gun, but I may go for a scene of some sort.  The horses are all galloping, and it would be a pity to leave them as just stand alone characters.

• Like 1

This is going to be great.  Looking forward to this build.  You could do something 'modern' for them to be charging - juxtaposition of mechanised and 19th century warfare.. is 

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

This is going to be great.  Looking forward to this build.  You could do something 'modern' for them to be charging - juxtaposition of mechanised and 19th century warfare.. is 

Thanks Gary, I'll have a think about something 'modern'.  Not sure what at this stage

A little progress - legs assembled.  I will need to wave some filler at these, but nothing unexpected.

2017-sov-cossack-04.jpg

The bases are temporary, but will give me a handle to hold the horses.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bonehammer said:

Very nice start. I like how you swapped around the horse halves for variety.

A word of caution... the sabres are extremely flimsy. 

Thanks Bonehammer, I feel the swap gives them more life.

I'll look out for the sabres - especially as I suspect, flimsy as they may be, thel'll want to be even thinner.