Revell P-47 1/72

Hello Modellers

Finished this recently.  Essentially an OOB build with decals by Eaglecals.

I'm pretty happy with it, thought its flaws are quite obvious.

I have no references which affirm operational use of the centre tank and wing-mounted bomb configuration, so I will plead artistic licence.

Comments welcome.

2017-04-25%2010.34.36%20HDR.jpg2017-04-25%2010.33.54%20HDR.jpg2017-04-25%2010.32.30%20HDR.jpg2017-04-25%2010.33.28%20HDR.jpg2017-04-25%2010.31.56%20HDR.jpg2017-04-25%2010.35.26%20HDR.jpg

• Like 40

4 hours ago, kapam said:

...I have no references which affirm operational use of the centre tank and wing-mounted bomb configuration....

Field modification innit? :) 

ETA.  What flaws?  Looks pretty damn good  to me.

Edited by TheLurker
Esprit d'escalier.

That's a pretty good P-47. It looks like you had a little fight with the decals/paint with the national markings around the fuselage side openings but that's always the case with P-47 models. There are a few things I would question rather than categorically state are wrong. Most references say the landing gear bays were Yellow but I'm sure I've read that a few were Green. I've never seen a black belly tank before. Regarding the Drop Tank/Bomb combo, I always say, if you want to hang stuff on a P-47 but you're not sure about what, either build it clean or with a combination of common drop tanks and or bombs. If it's 8th or 15th AF, go with drop tanks, (unless you know the aircraft potentially did bombing missions) if it's 9th or 12th AF, a pair of 500lb bombs under the wings can't be wrong. Either way I do like colour scheme with lots of Black over the Natural Metal finish. I think I might have to find that decal set some day too!

thanks

Mike

Great build! The kit is a nice one, especially for the price! Only thing that really annoyed me were the cooling flaps being open, with no closed option. It's really hard to get the nose art to go on nicely as there's too much going on foa large transfer.

i love the scheme and would love to build it one day. I do have a big soft spot for these big radials!

Rob

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:10 PM, Mikemx said:

That's a pretty good P-47. It looks like you had a little fight with the decals/paint with the national markings around the fuselage side openings but that's always the case with P-47 models. There are a few things I would question rather than categorically state are wrong. Most references say the landing gear bays were Yellow but I'm sure I've read that a few were Green. I've never seen a black belly tank before. Regarding the Drop Tank/Bomb combo, I always say, if you want to hang stuff on a P-47 but you're not sure about what, either build it clean or with a combination of common drop tanks and or bombs. If it's 8th or 15th AF, go with drop tanks, (unless you know the aircraft potentially did bombing missions) if it's 9th or 12th AF, a pair of 500lb bombs under the wings can't be wrong. Either way I do like colour scheme with lots of Black over the Natural Metal finish. I think I might have to find that decal set some day too!

Hey MikeMX, thanks for taking time to critique the model.  Actually, I meant to do some paint touch-up to those decals on the side vents, but I guess I got a dose of "finished model fever" and forgot to do it.  I will get out my white paint and small brush and get it done.  The "black" drop tank is my camera and poor photo technique.  I actually went for olive drab but the picture makes it look a lot darker than it is in real life.  In retrospect, I think natural metal might have been more appropriate anyway.  The colour scheme attracted me from the moment I saw the decal sheet on offer.  Having said that, I dare say I have seen a great many schemes of even more extravagance from trawling the Net.  Nothing speaks "air superiority" like the wild liveries of the 1945 P-47's.

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 5:55 PM, TheLurker said:

ETA.  What flaws?  Looks pretty damn good  to me.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:13 AM, Mitch K said:

Super build!

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:03 AM, almac said:

That is a super cool Thunderbolt. I really like the colour scheme and decals. Top job

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:16 PM, Winenut said:

nice Jug.

I particularly like the tread and treatment on the tyre detail.

Very tasty metal finish as well

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:36 PM, F-32 said:

Very nicely done!

Thanks everyone for your comments.  They are very welcome. ^_^

22 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Great build looks fab! What metal paint was this? 

Thanks very much.

The finish is Alclad "Polished Aluminium" sprayed over their gloss black base coat.

Not sure exactly why, but I put down a coat of flat black before I apply the gloss black.

I worry a little about the opacity of pure gloss paint on plastic, I guess.

The invasion stripes and black/anti-glare were masked and sprayed over the Alclad.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kapam said:

Thanks very much.

The finish is Alclad "Polished Aluminium" sprayed over their gloss black base coat.

Not sure exactly why, but I put down a coat of flat black before I apply the gloss black.

I worry a little about the opacity of pure gloss paint on plastic, I guess.

The invasion stripes and black/anti-glare were masked and sprayed over the Alclad.

It certainly works the finish is very realistic