Removing Alclad

james424

Hi all,

So, I've ventured in to the world of Alclad... And royally cocked it up!

I don't want to sand everything back as I'll lose all the panel lines and rivet details, but don't know how to strip the Alclad away. Anyone got any sneaky tips and tricks???

Cheers, 

James.

Edge, I think I'll avoid anything that'll eat through plastic, lol :)

Old Thumper, I'll dig out my 'practice kit' and see what happens with someone cleaner :)

Anyone else got any idea's.

James R.

Not really mate. If alclad is sprayed onto plastic it pretty much becomes one with it. So physical removal ie sanding is probably the only way. Any potion strong enough to remove it will most likely damage the plastic too. 

Resin and metal could be soaked in cellulose thinners/remover type fluids to remove something like alclad though...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Not really mate. If alclad is sprayed onto plastic it pretty much becomes one with it. So physical removal ie sanding is probably the only way. Any potion strong enough to remove it will most likely damage the plastic too. 

Resin and metal could be soaked in cellulose thinners/remover type fluids to remove something like alclad though...

Tony, just for future reference - How safe is it soaking resin in cellulose thinners? Just asking as I cocked up on some resin parts with the Aclad too but was fortunate that I had a friend will to do some swapping. Would just be good to know the safest way to deal with that evetuallity in the future.

Cheers,

James R

• 2 weeks later...

It also depends on which Alclad too. They are not all based on lacquer I believe. The ones that smell like old car spray paint are but others are alcohol based, they smell like IPA and are not nearly so tough. Also was the Gloss black an enamel or acrylic and how long had it been left to dry? Enamel will resist IPA but Acrylic won't.

Your best bet may well be to go to the makers website http://www.alclad2-online.co.uk/

They are good guys and if you drop them a line they should get back to you with their expert opinion.

11 hours ago, raspy said:

Mr Color levelling thinner will take alcad off and it also wont cause any damage to the plastic underneath

Gary

Duly noted 👍🏿

May keep that to try out one day if ever needed