Jagdpanzer E-25

Hi this is my first build on Brit modeller, the 1:72 Jagdpanzer E-25 by Pegasus Hobbies. For those interested you can find a review and sprue shots here.

I originally bought this set of models about 15 years ago and only got as far as a dry fit of the parts (which basically click together anyway), that's also when I stopped making models too. Now 15 years later I decided to get back into modelling and pick up where I left off. These two little tanks will probably be grateful of the long wait tho, because the teenage me would have been happy with just slopping a single colour of enamel paint over them and calling it a day. Over the past 15 years I've read about lots of different painting techniques and weathering effects and I'm eager to try them out for the first time. As such one E-25 is going to be dirtied with mud and the other is going to get a snow treatment with a white wash. I'm thinking of mounting them on a base and making my first diorama as well but I'll see how things progress. Apologies for the crappy phone camera, I'll dig out my proper camera tomorrow which should hopefully help a lot.

After many years of sitting on a shelf the bare plastic had accumulated it's own natural weathering effects :P After a good scrub they where good as new tho.

e25_72_01_zps8wff0pkl.jpg

Vallejo Dark Yellow was airbrushed as the base coat/primary colour.

e25_72_02_zpsgy1lmw2g.jpg

I decided to try two different techniques, one with a blu-tack mask to make a tortoise style camo pattern and the other was done freehand in the typical late war three colour camo.

e25_72_03_zpsdwkuss8h.jpg

I hand panted the base colour of the tracks, tools and exhausts, as well as adding matching camo to the wheels of each vehicles. I'm not that happy with how the three colour camo came out, I need more practice making finnier edges so that one is going to get the winter treatment.

e25_72_04_zpsbntgwnzd.jpg

I hand painted some light and dark stripes to the flat and bare tracks in an effort to add some detail to them. The model also received it's first dark wash of thinned Tamiya flat back mixed with ground up shaving from a charcoal stick. I also made some "mud" by mixing several shades of brown along with fine ash from our fireplace mixed in to give it a lumpy muddy texture.

e25_72_05_zpsjtoaggnd.jpg

Since the above pic I've done a lot more weathering and added a few extra scratch built parts. I'll post more tomorrow and hopefully with a proper camera :P

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 4

I was using Google Photo but I switched to photobucket so they should be working now.

Now armed with a proper camera and some sunny weather here are better photos of my current progress. I added a "log" using a random stick from the garden along with brackets made from some scrap photoetch. I also added a rolled up tarp/sheet using a coffee filter and some staples as straps. The decal I nicked from a 1:72 Maus kit I had in the stash (might make that one next :P). Weathering was done with washes, dry brushing, oil paints, oil pastels, pencils and charcoal sticks, I wanted to experiment so I kept randomly trying stuff with everything I had at hand. I'd like to try dusting it with some pigment too but I don't have any at the moment, I'll get some along with the next amazon order and try them out later. I haven't varnished it yet either, but I'll probably do that later today.

e25_72_06_zps3qgvxwtv.jpg

e25_72_07_zpsmrisuggo.jpg

e25_72_08_zpsg1gudhhl.jpg

e25_72_09_zpsee7oosjh.jpg

For comparison the T-34/85 is a relic from my modelling past and is one of the few "finished" models that I still have. 

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 3

Super cool Mig , I love paper panzers and you did a superb job of these little beauties .

I really like the camo on both . Great work sir !

Nice looking models

shame the decal silvered. Do you clear gloss the area first then Matt cote over the top?

if not, this may perhaps help with decals

failing that a good weathering.  Keep going BTW love the tarp on the side, 1/72 you say, that thing must be titchy 

Edited by Cromwell

I haven't put any varnish on the model yet, not even between the different stages of weathering. When I do the other one I'll take your advice & try putting a clear gloss on before the decal.

I continued working on the other E-25 today.

Here is a before and after of the tracks, darkened the edges of the recessed parts and lighted the ridges to add some depth. Also added some random rust patches and a few mud spots. I plan to add snow to them later on along with the rest of the model. 

e25_72_10_zpsb1qw7ssy.jpg

Then I used white oil paint to add a white wash effect to the hull and wheels. This is the first layer of the winter camo I plan to add, next I plan to use the hairspray technique to add another thicker white wash layer. I also started on making a flag that I'll plan to place over then engine deck as a identification marker for aircraft.  

e25_72_11_zpszw4lnkxl.jpg

Edited by Mig Eater

I know it's a 'what if', but I doubt even in mid/late 1945 the army would be putting anything on their tanks to make air ID easier.. :)

Just a thought...

EDIT - rude of me not to say initially what a nice pair of E-25s you have there... I have the Trumpeter 1/35 one and a winter finish is tempting - so interested to see how this turns out.

Matt

I wanted to add something extra (like the log/tarp etc) & a flag was the first thing that came to mind. After trying it out on the model tho I didn't like it so I'm not going to use it now. I welcome any suggestions for possible additions? I gave both models a clear gloss coat today. It was my first time using a varnish, It was hard to tell if I applied enough or if I missed any spots but I guess if I did it would be clear!

I have Trumpeter's 1:35 E-25 kit too (as well as the rest of their E-Tanks :P), these two are bit of a practice run for me to warm up for the 1:35 scale kit. I might start on the E-10 after this and then work my way up the numbers, or make them out of order as my mood change.

I decided to test the "hairspray technique" on some scrap plastic before I try it on the model & I'm glad I did as it didn't turn out that well, it just kinda peeled off more then rubbed/chipped away. I'm going to do a few more practice runs with different amounts of layers and drying times.   

So after several practice attempts on scrap plastic (the wings of an old 1/72 Mig 31) I got the hang of it and move on with the model. Along with the hairspray technique white wash I also try using pigments for the first time. I wanted to experiment with all the colours in the set I had (Revell's weathering) and added a bit to much in places, eventually they blended all together ok though. I'm happy with how it turned out in the end and I'm now looking forward to making the bigger 1/35 kit.  

e25_72_12_zps5psfpsp7.jpg

e25_72_13_zpsx1cgrdpq.jpg

I originally planned to add some snow with bicarbonate of soda and even add the two of them to a base. I've decided to move on to bigger things though and started working on a 1/35 Jagdpanzer E-10...