1/48 Kitty Hawk Sukhoi Su-17 Fitter ***FINISHED***

Muzz

56 minutes ago, Blue_Centurion said:

Akan is indeed spot on in color...that part I do like. What I have had issues with is the adhesion with some of the colors. I have no idea if it was a bad batch but even with good primer, they can lift off or in one case it seems like I need to set the work down on a soft pillow to avoid marks or chips. I thought I read that Hataka responds well with Tamiya or Mr. Color lacquer thinners? I also thought I read that Hataka will be releasing a lacquer line of paints?

Muzz, keep the faith. Your work is fantastic and I will be saving this thread for my KH Su-17 in the future.

Yeah the AKAN are very fragile, gotta be super careful till you get them sealed in.

Camo finished on the main fuselage and gloss coat of Johnson's Klear applied.

20170701_163109.jpg

I tried the Klear over the problem paint on the wings hoping it would take and dry, but no luck. The Klear wouldn't take to the paint and beaded up. I decided it was time to strip the paint off the wings and started the process with a bath of warm soapy water, as well as removing the black Akan it appears to have solved the problem with the Hataka paint, will need to wait until everything's properly dried off, fingers crossed!

• Like 4

Thanks for the comments, I'm away now until Friday so no updates before then, however, the main fuselage has been post shaded and there is now some decals applied!

Muzz

6 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Certainly looks like an AA-1 to me, will make for an interesting and unusual load on your model.

It does look like them and I read some where that Poland still use them, it's the first time I've seen photos them loaded which is a bit strange as I've been researching Polish Fitters off and on for the last few years. I'm planning on the load out in the first photo, tanks under the fuselage, gunpods on the outer pylons and the missiles on the inner.

• Like 1

Some more paint work to the fuselage, I've added darker brown camo patches to the rear fuselage around the airbrakes where the national markings have been painted over. Also started the decals.........

20170709_104220_edit_1499603918400.jpg

• Like 4

Finished the decals on the upper surface, been a right pain. The main squadron and national markings are fine but the stencils - wow! I have about 4 different sheets of Su-22 stencils ranging from some old Aeromaster and Authentic Decals sets to a recent release from LDecals Studios and the actual kit decals. The actual aircraft is covered in stencils and none of the sets really provide a full accurate set, however the kit decals looked decent in places until I tried them, they were invisible once placed on the surface. Ended up cobbling together all the sets to get a result but the older decals were breaking up and causing issues. I've basically ended up placing yellow stencils that look the correct shape / size as per photos just hope nobody can read what they say!

Put it together to see how it looks but nothing fixed in place yet.......

20170710_205008.jpg

20170710_204942.jpg

• Like 6

On 05/07/2017 at 8:52 PM, Muzz said:

This is not AA-1, but a Polish rocket, rebuilt from AA-1 and used as a target.

• Like 1

An unusual way of painting a model, but it has worked very well indeed. As for the decals especially the stencils you really have done well, and I do feel sorry for your eyes after getting all completed.

• Like 1

Nice update! 

A flaming horse!:D looks very well! How are the decals?

There is also a burning wild boar scheme...if you fany doong one more ;)

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys. 

On 12/07/2017 at 10:58 PM, exdraken said:

Nice update! 

A flaming horse!:D looks very well! How are the decals?

There is also a burning wild boar scheme...if you fany doong one more ;)

I'll definitely be getting another one so you never know, although I think I know the scheme your talking about and I think there's a bit too much flames on that one for my liking! I've just ordered the HB Su-17UM3, looking foreward to that.

Here's where I'm up to, been adding the different colours here and there, green panels to the leading edge of the wings and the NMF areas. I've also given everything a Matt coat then went over some areas with Tamyia smoke.

20170715_004026.jpg

20170715_003840.jpg

20170715_004001.jpg

• Like 5

Wow, what a progress :clap2: And very nice looking too. The stencils look great on the model and a worth while effort to cobble them together :thumbsup:

Did you paint the whole model with Hataka paint or used some other brand at the end? And how did you glue the wings to the fuselage (what type of glue)?

And one more question. The silver around the wing gun, did you painted that before painting the camouflage or after?

Cheers, Peter