Haynes Saturn V book and Spaceman

Structor

I have just finished Spaceman by Mike Massimino. I just want to say what a great book. It has so much to offer. If you are a tech nerd and like space related anything (you are, you are reading this) then what a great way to get an inside story from a contemporary astronaut. If you like an inspiring story then this is also highly recommended. This book should really find its way into the hands of young people. There are so many life lessons to be found. The two greatest: find and follow your passion and give up only after you have given it everything (everything means that you basically don't give up). He tells his story in a way that it is interesting and captivating to a wide audience. You don't have to be interested in space exploration or the space shuttle or techy nerdy stuff to enjoy or benefit from this book. BTW, I listened to the audiobook. He narrates himself and does an excellent job. You really feel his passion.

At the recommendation of TimB I have a copy of the Haynes Saturn V book (owners workshop manual). I have read it almost entirely through. I am someone that has come late to the game with little specific knowledge of the Apollo program (NASA and its program in general, to be more precise) and have found this book to be a great place to start. I have nothing to really compare it to but I feel like it is a great introduction with a lot of info. 

At the recomendation of  GordonD, TimB and Eric Mc, I have many books to look forward to. Thanks guys

Greg

There is no shortage of material on Apollo - whether through books, TV or the internet.

The Shuttle is not so well covered but the list of available sources is growing.

Haynes also do a Space Shuttle manual which is worth getting. It was written by David Baker and is well worth a look -

9781844258666.jpg

In the US, the Nebraska Press has put together two books on the Shuttle based on interviews with people who participated in the programme -

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTm7aY4T9s_oAYqvFvKXU8

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-6kEt14r-vUkK7rOe1sU

And finally - this is a cracker of a book which covers the development of the Shuttle from a political and military point of view and the lead up to the first mission in 1981 -

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGI2mXM9DyLCGkiW3t8Ia

I wondered about the Haynes Space Shuttle book.  I was even going to post a question here about it, asking if it was any good. Sounds like I should get it. Thanks for the recommendations Eric.

My interest in the SV has not waned but I have found myself looking at other projects. There is just so much to learn about. I have been reading and watching videos on the Shuttle and ISS. I know at some point I will want to model them. 

Speaking of watching videos. I recently upgraded my TV. I had an early HD model. It was an old picture tube type. It worked great, a little small for my aging eyes but I saw no reason to replace it. When I watched youtube it was always in front of the computer or with the IPad. With either it wasn't a lot of fun. Small picture and poor quality.  I could only tolerate it for a few minutes. As a consequence I did not watch youtube often. Well, the TV finally died. I bought a replacement and it is a smart TV. I can now watch youtube sitting in a proper chair and the picture is big and clear. I am blown away with the amount of space content. I really see no way to ever run out of stuff to watch. 

BTW, have you seen this video? It is a reentry test for the Orion space capsule. The video is shot from within. Pointed out the window in the top. To many it may seem boring but I loved it.

Edited by Exemplar Structor
no clue how to use a question mark, better now

It is done. The Haynes Space Shuttle book is on the way. I couldn't help myself though. I had to add in the ISS book too. There is so much info on the web but having someone sift through it and put it in book form is so much better.

I still prefer to read from a page rather than a screen. so books are still my favourite.

I bought a smart TV a couple of years ago and it has been fantastic. As well as all the archive stuff on youtube, there are a number of vloggers and sites  which host some interesting space related content covering both historic and up to date matters.

Apart from NASA TV, my current favourites are -

TMRO

Curious Droid

Scott Manley

Amy Shira-Teitel's Vintage Space

Lunar Module 5

Spaceseshuttlevideo

For daily news updates on what is happening in the world of spaceflight, I generally use Spaceflight Now and space.com.

I watched the Orion test flight live in December 2014.Obviously, those re-entry images could not be shown live due to the plasma induced radio blackout but the on board re-entry images were released within a few hours of the recovery of the Orion spacecraft.

Edited by Eric Mc