Mistercraft MiG-19S 1/72

The is the “Mistercraft” MiG-19S, which I think is a copy of the old KP kit albeit with recessed rather than raised panel lines and moulded in a strange soapy plastic. I built this partly because I think the MiG-19 is a classic Cold War design but also because I wanted to try out some of the new(ish) Vallejo metal colours before trying them out on something less "disposable".  That said, I couldn't stop myself from adding Extratech details (designed for the Bilek kits but some elements are useful), a Pavla cockpit, and the Master air data probe & gun barrels (beautiful pieces of casting). 

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

The overall shape of the Mistercraft/KP kit isn’t bad but the following are some of the adjustments I made to try to get it a little closer:

·         Reduce thickness of all trailing edges and wing fences

·         Add jet pipes and reshape the ‘pen nib’ fairing

·         Delete forward small intake from the fin

·         Add gun blast squares

·         Open up the nose intake and build up the internal structure

·         Reduce the span of the tailplanes by about 2.5 mm each side

·         Drill out and glaze the landing light

·         Fill the side airbrakes and replace

·         Build up the profile of the nose intake to reduce the prominence of the gun camera

·         Extend and re-shape the rear fillet of the wing root

·         Reprofile the spine at the rear of the cockpit

·         Reduce the chord of the fin leading edge

·         Lengthen the fuel tank pylons

·         Replace/rebuild the mainwheels with 9mm diameter substitutes (the hubs are scratchbuilt and still not perfect, but better)

·         Add an additional member to each main landing gear

·         Rebuild the nose landing gear (6mm diameter wheel) – mine includes elements from a F-8 Crusader plus Albion Alloy tubing

·         Plus an awful lot of fill-sand-shape repeat!

The kit decals were out of register so the markings are from the spares box (Bilek MiG-19PM for the Czech national markings and KP MiG-21MF for some of the numbers).  By the way, one thing to watch is that the kit has the long fin fillet, so is not suitable for the early batch Czech MiG-19s (S-105s) with serials in the 01xx and 02xx series. 

There is most definitely a need for a decent MiG-19/J-6 in 1/72 scale (I bear the scars of having previously fought the Bilek MiG-19PM into submission) but I was pretty pleased with how the Vallejo metallics worked out; by the way, there is more lustre and contrast between the panels than the photos bring out.

• Like 16

That is a very impressive build there, and many thanks for sharing with us what you did to improve it.

Not very often you see a 1/72 MiG-19 finished if at all!

I've also have this in my stash but haven't got round to starting it, will use your list of changes as reference thankyou!

Martin

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind comments - much appreciated.

17 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Not very often you see a 1/72 MiG-19 finished if at all!

I've also have this in my stash but haven't got round to starting it, will use your list of changes as reference thankyou!

Martin

Thanks Martin! I wouldn't claim my list of changes to be comprehensive (eg there should be an identification flare dispenser on the fin, which I wimped out of!) but I hope I did my best to do justice to this classic Cold War fighter