fewr9fkr9595

53 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Hi Tony, thanks for doing that, i reckon i owe you a beer for that ,even though as you say, too blue, nothing like their online colour chip, reckon its a mix job though I don;t mind the Revell 55, your mix of vallejo 808 & 838 would look pretty good too, very close to the Akan shade.

Steve.

Yeah reckon thats your best bet if vallejo is the main brand you can get your hands on. Can always add a few drops of white to mix to lighten it a touch :) 

• Like 1

Last one added, Mission models paint mmp-100 interior emerald.

Had this shade a month or so, only got around to it now.

Bought with some others colours and a new 1/72 eduard MiG-21 with speedy service and great prices from @Duncan B and his blackmike model shop. Check it out. 

Palette now full!

• Like 1

I still like the AKAN shade, so I'll stick with that for now (If I ever get any actual modelling done).  A good resource though :)  If you want us to make it permanent, we could suck your photos into our webspace so you don't have to remember not to delete them.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

If you want us to make it permanent, we could suck your photos into our webspace so you don't have to remember not to delete them.

Thanks Mike, that would be good. However could you wait a bit longer please? Being a fussy beggar I am not 100% happy with that picture. Want to get a better one in natural light to replace it as that latest one seems a touch dark compared to the one it superceeded.  

:) 

Tony, I look forward to seeing the full chart of these paints. I have enough kits of Soviet/Russian aircraft to justify buying several pots/jars/etc. of them. I suspect that ALL the paints you list would be "accurate" due to the fact that even the SU used several different paint factories to produce the interior and exterior paints for its military. They can vary somewhat here in the USA, Europe, and the UK; why should the old Sov. Union be different? I salute you for your diligence and effort. But, you are correct: You do need to get out more.😀

Thanks again for your work.

Joe

35 minutes ago, JPuente54 said:

I look forward to seeing the full chart of these paints.

Hi mate and thanks.

Not sure if it was lost in translation but the picture of them is in the first opening post of this thread?

Unless you are waiting for the improved lighting picture (will be no change to number of colours on it)

Tony

I was referring to the improved lighting picture; apologies for not being clearer on that. In Post #27, you do mention a colour from Mission Models being added; I may have mis-interpreted it to mean that you had one or two others to add. If so, my mistake! Again, thanks for your effort!

Joe

PS. It is(Mission Models) on your chart; so, I did get it wrong. Maybe I need more coffee!

Edited by JPuente54
add more
  • Like 1

No need to trouble yourself, I can hoover it all into the webspace when I'm next on a proper pc :) I'll mention you & link to the original thread once I'm done hoovering ;)

3 hours ago, Mike said:

No need to trouble yourself, I can hoover it all into the webspace when I'm next on a proper pc :) I'll mention you & link to the original thread once I'm done hoovering ;)

Ok cool the link will help explain the short hand writing under each colour as they are not all self explanatory 👍🏿

• Like 1

I've been mulling over a better idea than just pinning things to the top, as eventually the top of every forum would be full of this type of thread. If someone reminds me, I'll implement what I've been thinking about and preserve these resources without clogging up the main forum space :)

• Like 1

I use MTN Turquoise Green - RV-219 300ml Water Based Spray Paint.

Decant and thin with Tamiya thinners. Sprays beautifully and if you think it's too green, a light coating of clear blue over the top but I left mine as is.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NIPHJ62/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by marky sparky
  • Confused 1

In all this topic

there is one missing, a very small insignificant detail ...... the names and brands of the original enamel! ;) :)

Original enamel for aircraft was:

"Alkyd-styrene MS-249 emerald" (Алкидно-стиреновая МС-249 изумрудная).

In this case, it should be noted that the temporary technical conditions "VTU OP 270-67" (ВТУ ОП 270-67) for this enamel were approved in 1967, that is, the coloring of the cockpit interiors in the emerald color of aircraft built before 1967 is unlikely.

1335074919_Scan10029.jpg

Resource:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_676881_1335074919_Scan10029.jpg.html

discussion  on Russian  forum:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17723&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=300

Enamel this type is still produced

http://www.vse-kraski.ru/page_mc-249.html

http://www.vse-kraski.ru/gr/20/4715~1939/emal_ms-249_izumrudnaya.html

in three shades:

ENAMEL MS-249 EMERALD
ENAMEL MS-249 THE MARINE WAVE
ENAMEL MS-249 GRAY-BLUE

B.R.

Serge

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Tony thank you for this it was really helpful.

I'm working on an Eduard Mig 21 SMT with brown-green-beige cammo pattern.  I was glad to find this thread for the cockpit color.  I had read that the kit specifications were off and your palatte shows this to be true,  I'm in Canada and I can't find a supplier of the AKAN paints which would seem to be the best choice.  I'm looking for a color cross reference chart for the cammo similar to what you've done for the cockpit.  Are you aware of anything for AKAN colors that you could point me to?  Or are you able to tell me what you used for your cammo?  Thanks!

On 17/09/2018 at 12:48, HowieWowie said:

Tony thank you for this it was really helpful.

I'm working on an Eduard Mig 21 SMT with brown-green-beige cammo pattern.  I was glad to find this thread for the cockpit color.  I had read that the kit specifications were off and your palatte shows this to be true,  I'm in Canada and I can't find a supplier of the AKAN paints which would seem to be the best choice.  I'm looking for a color cross reference chart for the cammo similar to what you've done for the cockpit.  Are you aware of anything for AKAN colors that you could point me to?  Or are you able to tell me what you used for your cammo?  Thanks!

Hi pal, here is my build I was on about. Not great, would do alot differently if I could build it again. This is long sold on. Someone in France bought her when I put it up for auction on ebay. 

This had the tamiya mix inside to match cockpit decals. 

The camo colours -tamiya again - some were again adjusted by eye to match instructions and references. Built over 3 years ago so cant remember exact colours sadly, but they were in the ballpark of: the blue was modified xf23, the light upper green was based on xf5 and the dark green on uppers was possibly straight xf13 or xf17. Main Beige base colour was lightened xf56 buff i think and the tan/brown was around xf78 Wooden deck tan colour. The two small medium brown bits one either side of nose area started as xf52 earth. 

The nose cone and dielectric panels was a light green mix, or possibly flatted x28 gloss park green. 

Sorry I can’t be of more help. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread, and kudos to @Tony Oliver for doing this. I can get my mits on AK Interactive Air 2301, which looks really good on your palette, so will probably go for that. No idea how it sprays in comparison to Vallejo Model Air, but I don't want to buy two different paints just for a limited number of cockpits (although your mix of 808 and 838 also looks the goods).

Any plans to do a similar comparison for Soviet radome green?? I've got a MiG-21 waiting for me 😉 

Many thanks,

David

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Latecomer to this thread but very good work on a very tricky color. I just got my hands on an AK turquoise and it looks good though I feel it could have used a tiny hint of green in it. I still prefer the paint to err on the side of too blue than too green.

AK has recently come out with its Real Colour Air line and includes a cockpit turquoise. I wonder just how much it differs from their standard acrylic but my impression on accuracy for this line has so far been very good (mostly their tank colors).

14 minutes ago, Phantome said:

impression on accuracy for this line has so far been very good (mostly their tank colors).

Hmm,  the colours are based on their book, Real Colors of WWII, and there are problems with that.

see here for info on that

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049761-british-olive-drab-no15/&do=findComment&comment=3252695

noted resrachers say the British ones are not good,  German ones suspect.

Some maybe OK,  but they really were color matching under daylight simulation.....  but read the link.  

10 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Hmm,  the colours are based on their book, Real Colors of WWII, and there are problems with that.

see here for info on that

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049761-british-olive-drab-no15/&do=findComment&comment=3252695

noted resrachers say the British ones are not good,  German ones suspect.

Some maybe OK,  but they really were color matching under daylight simulation.....  but read the link.  

Interesting stuff... and disappointing why they dismiss expert opinion like that. To be honest, I have not been particularly impressed with the accuracy of most of the Spanish companies, Vallejo and MiG Ammo have a plethora of stinkers.

On the other hand, I have used the AK colors and so far, I have found them to be better than the alternatives. I used them on a M1 Abrams and a Challenger and both look the part (will take a pic tomorrow in daylight for accuracy). The others look good in the tin though there are some exceptions: Desert Pink looks really off and I recently got a hold of their RAF ocean grey which also is suspect. I still think on the whole, they probably - on average - more accurate than most of their rivals though the bar is quite low in some cases.

• Like 1