Which acrylic paint for RLM 74 and 75?

Vinnie

It seems this subject has been discussed over the years, but I can't really find a recent definitive answer. There was a lot of criticism of the newer Humbrol RLM range a couple of years ago. Have they improved? Humbrol acrylic and Revell Aqua are my usual 'go to' brands simply because they are more readily available locally, but I'm happy for any suggestions. Btw, must be suitable for hairy stick use.

Thanks as always.

I've got both these colours (vallejo air) - think I bought them for a 110 nightfighter...anyway as you said there's a lot of debate but as tamiya don't seem to cater for rlm numbers that's what I've gone with.

have done a bf109 and ju87 with the vallejo's and at least to me it looks right.  Mind you I am red/green colour blind ;)

a few oversprays on the 109 required brush strokes and although it's thin could probably do with being thinned more.

just my tuppence :)

• Like 1

I'll chime in on this one.

I bought the Vallejo Model Air RLM set a few years ago, and after much swearing and gnashing of teeth, I like them pretty well now for most things, including brush painting them. The colors seem pretty good to me, including the 74 and 75. The only recommendation I would make, is to use a retarder for the brush painting, especially if the temperature gets very warm. It will keep it from drying too fast as you are painting.

• Like 1

Hi, Vinnie,

I am very pleased with Xtracrylixs. RLM74, especially, lacks the excessive greenish hue many brands have. In spite of its name, reports say that only when seen point-blank (and in full scale, of course) any greenish tinge could be discerned.

Fernando

• Like 1

On 2017-4-25 at 17:28, Vinnie said:

It seems this subject has been discussed over the years, but I can't really find a recent definitive answer. There was a lot of criticism of the newer Humbrol RLM range a couple of years ago. Have they improved? Humbrol acrylic and Revell Aqua are my usual 'go to' brands simply because they are more readily available locally, but I'm happy for any suggestions. Btw, must be suitable for hairy stick use.

Thanks as always.

Hi Vinnie

Revell Aqua do paints that are similar,  and are supposed to brush  well.

Humbrol acrylics can brush well,  but I found adding flow improver really helps.

this chap used the specific humbrol acrylic colours on his Fw 190 build, and brushes them.  

worth reading his builds for how  to get the  best out brushing acrylics.

I'll have a look  to  see if I  can  find the Revell Aqua versions later.

HTH

T

• Like 1

On 27 April 2017 at 9:44 AM, Fernando said:

Hi, Vinnie,

I am very pleased with Xtracrylixs. RLM74, especially, lacks the excessive greenish hue many brands have. In spite of its name, reports say that only when seen point-blank (and in full scale, of course) any greenish tinge could be discerned.

Fernando

The RLM colour standard at least is a Munsell Green-Yellow but the colour saturation is very low indeed at 0.3. It is slightly lighter and less saturated than RAL 7043 Verkehrsgrau (Traffic Grey) but very close to FS 36081. 

Nick

38 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Vinnie

Revell Aqua do paints that are similar,  and are supposed to brush  well.

Humbrol acrylics can brush well,  but I found adding flow improver really helps.

this chap used the specific humbrol acrylic colours on his Fw 190 build, and brushes them.  

worth reading his builds for how  to get the  best out brushing acrylics.

I'll have a look  to  see if I  can  find the Revell Aqua versions later.

HTH

T

Thanks, Troy. I'd not seen that post before. It was very helpful and did seem to confirm that Humbrols RML74 & 75 whilst not brushing well, could be cleaned up to acceptable standards. I can get Humbrol and Revell Aqua reasonably locally so I'm very grateful to you for highlighting PlaStix's thread.

Hi Vinnie

right, according to the instructions of Revell 109G-6

https://www.revell.de/en/products/model-building/aircraft/world-war-ii/id/04665.html

S= Revell Blaugrau Matt 79  (RLM 75)

T= Revell Mausgrau Matt 47 (RLM 74)

annoying the paint diagram shows only the "S" and "T"  and notes the RLM numbers, the paint  list shows the paint name/number and gives it a letter.

the flippin' Revell site does not do anything helpful like list the RLM colours  in the paint list though, so it's the cross reference, which is a PITA,  

An actual list of the revell paint and RLM equivalents would be useful, I'm sure  it's out there somewhere!

A final point, the thread would have got better answers if titled,  "RLM 74/75, which Revell Aqua or Humbrol colours", and ask for comments  on how the paint brushes,  or hints  on how to  get the  best.

HTH

T

PS

more looking  at  Revell instructions

RLM 04 Gelb = 15 yellow 

RLM 24 Blau = a mix of 90% 52 blue  + 10% 05 white 

RLM 25 = 364 leaf green 

RLM 65 Blau = 49 light blue  (note Revell seem to say this for RLM 76 as well, but can't be both)

RLM 66 Schwarz grau = Revell 77 Dusty Grey

RLM 70 schwarzgrun = 40 black green

RLM 71 Dunkelgrun = 39 dark green

RLM 82 dark  green = 65 bronze green 

RLM 02 = revell 45 light olive matt - which maybe one of the best.

see 

I think the 'Humbrol' should be 'Revell' but read the thread,  many RLM 02's are not good matches.

Edited by Troy Smith
add details and links
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Vinnie

right, according to the instructions of Revell 109G-6

https://www.revell.de/en/products/model-building/aircraft/world-war-ii/id/04665.html

S= Revell Blaugrau Matt 79  (RLM 75)

T= Revell Mausgrau Matt 47 (RLM 74)

annoying the paint diagram shows only the "S" and "T"  and notes the RLM numbers, the paint  list shows the paint name/number and gives it a letter.

the flippin' Revell site does not do anything helpful like list the RLM colours  in the paint list though, so it's the cross reference, which is a PITA,  

An actual list of the revell paint and RLM equivalents would be useful, I'm sure  it's out there somewhere!

A final point, the thread would have got better answers if titled,  "RLM 74/75, which Revell Aqua or Humbrol colours", and ask for comments  on how the paint brushes,  or hints  on how to  get the  best.

HTH

T

I've got a 110 kit (not started yet) but when I got it (first revell kit) I looked at the instructions and spent about an hour trying to work out the paint "colours" from the 2nd page.  Gave up and had a look through the rest of the manual.  Then saw the RLM numbers listed on the painting guide - as you say - it would be nice to have those shown anywhere it refers to paint!!

Lesson learnt - always read the instructions through first ;)

• 1 month later...

Just to close this one off, I tried Humbrol and was quite happy with the way it went on. My only reservation is there is very little difference between the two colours, but maybe this is correct.

Vinnie,

check out this thread here:

Ok it should now be updated with new Humbrol acrylic colours as well as Mr. Hobby color at the bottom of the above thread.

Edited by pbhawkin