ML196 Fairmile B - Landing Craft Control

13 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Magnificent work Rob. Inspiring me to get back onto my Vosper when I return home later this month!

Terry

Thanks Terry - looking forward to that Vosper!!

8 hours ago, Steve D said:

Hey Rob,

Just caught up on this thread.  Your B is looking very clean indeed, great job, well done you.  Nice work for 1/72nd scale, looking forward to seeing it finished

Steve

Thanks Steve - I feel mine is quite crude compared to the finesse of yours !

Rob

22 hours ago, Matt Parvis said:

Looks great Rob.  You must be able to taste the finish line at this point. It looks like the crew might be lagging behind a bit though, tell them to get it in gear!

Matt

On the case Matt - that and waiting for some Royal Blue Model Color to arrive ;)

21 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Wow, great detailing Rob. :speak_cool:

Now that I've got all this spare time, I'll be sitting in the front row cheering you on to the finish line.  :bounce:

John

Thanks John - Straight back at ya!

15 hours ago, longshanks said:

WOW !!

Kev

That Kev is a very Nice man!

14 hours ago, Courageous said:

The detail is looking brilliant.:yes:

Can you remind me, what you are using for the stanchions and do they have little notches in them for the rigging?

Stuart

Stuart - they are Coastal Craft Stanchions and yes they do have 3 notches in for Guard rails.  Early in the Blog I nerdily compared Coastal Craft against Great Little ships stanchions, GLS are considerably more detailed but for them to work you have to glue 2 together - not ideal.  The Coastal craft are less detailed more robust and do the job just fine.  Be warned - you need 3 sets to do a Fairmile B or D.  And Thanks.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

So this build is now officially into it's 3rd year:blush::shrug:

Figures are painted ....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Final rigging and guardrails are complete, so the build now just needs final details and paint touch ups and it's ready for the photo booth :yahoo:

spacer.png

spacer.png

RFI to appear soon

Rob

• Like 9

Kev, John, Matt and Steve - Huge Thanks.

I declare this build finally finished after 25 months!

My first attempt at extended scratch-building, inspired by you all  but especially Kev and John.  Thanks Fellas.

I'm still not certain that we present information in an accessible way for beginners (To scratch building etc)

As a close down thread here are some reflections.

First off get LOTS of Plasticard strips in as many different sizes as you can - same for sheets and rods.

So if you are thinking of having a go - DO IT.  

Here are some of the tools that I've found useful

spacer.png

The Tailors rule was had for a few pounds from EBay and makes cutting plastic sheets Soooo much easier.  For thick sheets I use the orange scriber, if they are very thin the narrower black scriber or a heavy duty scalpel blade (Swann & Morton 23 on a No 4 handle)

For cutting rod or strips square - I find this invaluable (Though there is a limit to the thickness that it will cut)

spacer.png

"Squaring off" is problematic and I use these to accommodate - the little set square came from USA via Ebay but was reasonably priced

spacer.png

Kev tipped me off to the next item which is possibly the single most useful thing I use, not cheap at nearly £25 but worth every penny.  I have a sheet I've put together for scale feet converted into millimeters which eases up working from the Lambert books etc

spacer.png

spacer.png

I picked this tip up along the way - the use of Acupuncture needles to apply Superglue (Loctite gel).  Cheap as chips from EBay and couldn't do without them now!!

spacer.png

And finally a quick pictorial summary of paints and weathering products

spacer.png

And so here's to honourable mentions about specifics:

MTB Hulls - Christian moulds superb hulls, check his site out - Marvellous

Coastal Craft Models - Suppliers of whole kits, but more importantly some essential weapon and accessory sets - Marvellous

Sovereign Hobbies/Colourcoat paints - Our very own Jamie Duff whose paints were a major revelation.  The thought of using enamels was initially utterly underwhelming.  Once used I'm hooked - superb colour representation and really easy to use.  Using his Thinners - smell is kept to a minimum and drying times closely match those of acrylics.  I completely buy into his revisionist thinking about wartime colours  - Utterly Marvellous

Gunthwaite Miniatures - Again our very own Al Gunthwaite who produces Fabulous figures that bring alive models.  I'm waiting for his Mae West figures hopefully with tin helmets (hint, hint Al!) that would really have complimented a D-Day build.  As it is, I love the range which includes all kinds of informal naval dress - Marvellous

Name it - that produce excellent, reasonably priced name plates that to mind set off any model.

Micro-Master/Shapeways - If you are into coastal craft, you'll find lots to excite you!  The Flot-a -nets were a discovery!!

Coastal Craft Histories - Mark Smith - His volumes are all inspiring but Volume 3 with his wonderful graphic portrayal of ML196 set me on this path - Thanks

And so with the RFI here Fairmile B ML196 Landing Craft Control, it's a final sign off ..............

spacer.png

I've learnt loads, it's been frustrating at points and has taken too long.  

Special Thanks to Danny and Longshanks who both stepped in when most needed:clap2:

Signing off and Thanks to Y'all once again

Rob

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great job Rob, the finish is exemplary, extremely clean and crisp, the measure of a great model!   And 25 months is not long for that result

You should be justly proud of your first scratch build 👏

Now you have the bug, kits will never be as interesting.  Next step, no more purchased parts  😉

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Steve - Seeing your work, I'm flattered :blush:

As to "no more purchased parts", I know where you are coming from, but life's too short, as is my attention span.

Fairmile C and an HDML coming soon (when time allows)

Thanks

Rob

• Like 1