ML196 Fairmile B - Landing Craft Control

6 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Thanks for sharing the photos of the show Rob.  Looks like modelling is still very alive & well in the UK. 

I'm looking forward to following your 'D' build.

Thanks John - Don't know when but sooner or later;)  In part your D and Longshanks set me on this path :banghead:

4 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Hi Rob, 

It was great meeting up with you at the show fella, another face that I can put to a name. Looking forward to seeing more of your amazing work :thumbsup:

Dan 

Thanks Dan - too kind:blush:

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

Hi Rob

Great to meet you in the flesh, not at all like my preconception 😉

Some interesting boats there that fell into your shopping basket. The D is going to be interesting in its final guise, certainly packed a punch!! I'm away from my reference material at the moment (Telford), would 736 be wearing a camouflage coat?

Thank you your kind words on my fleet, if I decide to sell you'll definitely be my agent. In the meantime the cheque is in the post …..

The Pontos set for the 1/144 Corvette I going to be tempting when it's released

Kev

Agent heh...........:hmmm:   Hmmmmm, could be tempted (If the Day job goes t.... up)

Kev - 736 is the centre boat in "the" pic - the one with the miscellany of colour - so no camouflage  but lots of pretty colours:)

c29ea8e9-d9fa-4776-88d2-3e82f37a06f8.jpg

Went back and had a look at the Pontos set............Yeah you're right;)

Hope you and Dan had a good second day 

Rob

• Like 3

12 hours ago, robgizlu said:

736 is the centre boat in "the" pic

Very pretty , will there be a  vase of flowers on the bridge?  😉

13 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Hope you and Dan had a good second day 

Oh Yes!

Day one rush around and grab a quick glimpse of everything and the kits / bargains. First one randomly WingNut Wings ' Sopwith  F1 Camel " Clerget " right inside the entrance 🙂  for £70. Next a Tamiya Vosper Perkasa for £60 instead of the more usual £100/120. All seals intact.

Day Two. The competition room, without wishing to be contentious there are quite a few who are more deserved of Gold Medals  in the Maritime Section of BM.

More time to take in the Club/SIG tables and time to buy a lot of the materials/tools required for the next year

Sunday is a lot quieter day but if you need something special/unusual/bargain Saturday is your day

Kev

• Like 4

Nice haul there Rob.

I met a number of BMers over weekend but sorry I missed you guys. Didn't see and do everything I wanted, such a huge show, 3 day event maybe...

I spent so much time at Coastal, plastic was vibrating in my wallet, couldn't make my mind up. Next year one or two of them will fall into my basket.

Hope you all had great weekend at SMW.

Stuart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Next a Tamiya Vosper Perkasa for £60 instead of the more usual £100/120. All seals intact.

I managed to get a Perkasa at Milton Keynes earlier this year, £40 with seals intact, magic find that was.

Day one rush around and grab a quick glimpse of everything and the kits / bargains.

...and I spent way too much on Saturday...a mental day for expenses.

Maritime Section of BM.

Didn't know that BM had a section, will have to track that down for next year.

Stuart

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 10:46 AM, robgizlu said:

It was a great pleasure to meet with @longshanks , @Dads203and @Terry1954.  Lovely to meet you guys and great to put faces to names.

Hi Rob. Really pleased you dropped by to say hi, it was great meeting you also. Some good pics there summarising some of the nautical highlights of the show. I spent some time at the Coastal Craft stand, and managed to purchase the complete Vosper update/detailing set plus one or two other bits, so now there is no excuse for me not to get on with this one! Also picked up a 1/350 River Class Frigate from Starling models.

I did pop along to the West Cornwall stand to say hi to @longshanks but every time I made it there, Kev had gone again! I'm sure we will meet sometime Kev, seeing your work on the stand was great.

Terry

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Happened to stumble across this On Al Gunthwaite's Twitter feed this morning whilst browsing (during a lecture:unsure:).

Thought I'd post here as this is my only active thread currently

I've been "collecting" things for my next 1/144 Corvette build and these look absolutely Fab :clap2:

6526c654-57c6-49c2-869c-9f260798cd74.jpg

Hard to believe that these are 1/144!

I really like the miscellany of clothing - exactly as wartime pictures show - cant wait to get these for HMCS Eyebright

Well Done Al!!

Rob

• Like 7

Rob

Thanks for the kind comments. I have tried to make some of these more action oriented than my 1/72 scales figures. The photo shows the figures about 3x actual size.  Those are sample castings. I'm anticipating the production castings will be available in a couple of weeks and the sets (4 sets - the runners will be split into 4 sets of 4 figures), will be with outlets (assuming they want to stock them!) before Christmas.

Al

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Al Gunthwaite said:

Rob

Thanks for the kind comments. I have tried to make some of these more action oriented than my 1/72 scales figures. The photo shows the figures about 3x actual size.  Those are sample castings. I'm anticipating the production castings will be available in a couple of weeks and the sets (4 sets - the runners will be split into 4 sets of 4 figures), will be with outlets (assuming they want to stock them!) before Christmas.

Al

I'll never understand how you sculpt so small...:)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2018 at 4:57 PM, longshanks said:

Kev

Rob just a tiny, tiny    :poke:

Yup I hear you Obi Wan:whistle:

Due to a catalogue of unconnected events, Timelines, deadlines and the rugby season "196" has had to take a back seat.  Hopefully over the Christmas break I'll be able to crack on so without further ado, I took possession of this, to my mind rather useful filter

d696428e-a351-43fc-9839-8a009afb5b81.jpg

The effect is subtle and doesn't reproduce in the photo but it's effective in the flesh,

The whole hull was coated.

As per Kev's strict instructions I avoided a heavy wash on the deck and went for a more neutral grey ;)

040df04b-8034-463b-aaa4-c7bdb83159f2.jpg

It's pretty neutral but I think was the right choice.

df169e98-3771-44ab-b2fa-f48222a2c587.jpg

The Smoke stack got fitted...

7363f563-b8d1-4a2f-9ac5-64b2315325a8.jpg

The Radar Gantry is painted up and I'm not attaching it until all the Fittings beneath it are in place.  Once I'm ready - I'll remove the "base" supports which currently give it a(s they would say on the Enterprise) "structural integrity"

382d7779-2bad-4016-b8c3-33be8ebe1185.jpg

Deck furniture is slowly being attached...

913a0985-dd12-48c8-bd0f-8edc3f6c0a3b.jpg

And this morning the decals went on.  Coastal Craft have produced thin black lettering and Thicker.  The original  pic of  "Q195" definitely shows a thicker outline to my mind

6734fbc3-cc63-4721-a413-7e15c89f5917.jpg

1ebae369-d48d-4c04-882e-5620b5cb11dc.jpg

It's unclear whether she wore a pennant number on the stern, not all do in original pics but I reasoned that around D-day there would be a premium in being able to quickly visually identify a vessel given the high volume of traffic so she gets one!

757b7110-f166-4d79-8fe8-30f9a8b679ec.jpg

And with no obvious narrative here - I managed to get the Rocket rails done one night (And very nice they are too - Well Done Coastal Craft)

e574dcc7-15c8-42b0-8f1b-578dfc19ae7e.jpg

Build up of the Clutter sub-gantry continues...

57528d66-e0b6-4e7f-801d-72f69f77fe8e.jpg

And finally looking through the Coastal craft catalogue picked up at Telford I realised that there were separate entries for "Denton" rafts and "small Carley" rafts.  I had previously assumed that CC's small Carley rafts were Denton.  However I now realise that they are distinctly different

d8239d6d-ba0b-4c8e-9e00-d622c139d36d.jpg

and BTW that beautiful bluey shade is Sovereign colours B55 - Nice eh?

Hope to now get a momentum going!!!

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 10

All starting to come together nicely and the B55 on the rafts does look the part

Now i just need to get my finger out over the holiday period to try and keep up  :hmmm:

beefy

Welcome back '196', glad to see that Kev's little nudge worked.

The sub assy's are all coming together and adding detail to the craft. The weathering is looking very subtle and I think will only be truly noticed when she's finished. I've never tried weathering on a vessel such as this, it is something I need to get to grips with, particularly with my launch build.

Stuart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

that beautiful bluey shade is Sovereign colours B55 - Nice eh?

All the world loves a sailor . . . . . :kiss:   :kiss: such a pretty boy 😉

Looking simply superb, I'm quite envious

Kev

PS My Mrs doesn't believe anyone listens to me

• Like 1

Thanks Fellas!!  Appreciated.

I put the ammo drums in the wrong place and despite using PVA Gator Glue - when I move them the paint lifted.

93240ee0-cce1-4c2d-8f3c-b11a1c6ea4b0.jpg

I added the stove pipe supports using 0.2mm nickel wire.

When I went back to check the positioning of the Vickers ammo drums I realised that the deck area underneath the gantry was painted in G45 anyway:doh:

26ab2b20-28fd-4982-a560-adac2d76a961.jpg

With grateful acknowledgement to the IWM Collection - this pic is invaluable showing as it does the general clutter beneath the gantry.

Take 2...........

8300b0eb-1c79-41b0-98b3-eb53eee43a3e.jpg

And it looks visually better.

On 12/15/2018 at 1:56 PM, Courageous said:

The weathering is looking very subtle and I think will only be truly noticed when she's finished. I've never tried weathering on a vessel such as this, it is something I need to get to grips with, particularly with my launch build.

Stuart

Stuart - I had to grapple with this today.  The deck just looked flat so I started with some acrylic highlights and ended up gently dry brushing.  It looks a bit OTT at first bit with everything finally loaded such as depth charges etc I think it will look OK.  It adds depth which otherwise was lacking.

3ed1c52c-b41a-4373-94fb-a72bf8a31caa.jpg

6d0ac8e0-8c63-4e83-a483-3d05b5312539.jpg

85f4ad64-d8b5-4026-b6e9-02319b7beaa6.jpg

And the rest of my hours today were spent finishing off the vents and ammo lockers - The bad news is that both my tins of G45 and B15 formed skins despite my fastidious cleaning of the rims so as to seal the tins properly.  I'm on my second set of paints:(

5df72a7e-175e-48ff-8136-11f40ce5e711.jpg

It's time to start thinking about detailing - there's not an awful lot about for 1/72 - the only thing I've found relevant comes from Dan Taylor....

7a42b917-f5cc-450b-a390-b3561ecbfeac.jpg

And I found these on Shapeways........

1d9af987-fa60-482e-9e7d-41e02f618d8f.jpg

Brodie helmets!!!  You see them in pictures hanging up next to armament ready for Battle stations.  We'll see how they paint up.

Thanks for looking - I'm definitely well past half way:)

Rob

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

... The bad news is that both my tins of G45 and B15 formed skins despite my fastidious cleaning of the rims so as to seal the tins properly.  I'm on my second set of paints:(

My builds last so long I needed to find a way to keep my paints from drying out, especially custom mixed colours.  I found the best solution is putting two layers of clean clear plastic food wrap over each open tin after cleaning the rim, & then pressing on the lid stretching the wrap into the opening.  The plastic wrap forms an airtight seal between the lid & tin rim.  I replace the plastic wrap with a new piece each time the tin is opened.  For extra assurance, I put the tins in a zip lock plastic bag and remove as much air as possible while sealing the bag.  I just checked a couple of Humbrol tins with custom mixed B15 used on my BPB build that I sealed in October, 2017.   No skin has formed & they are still in their liquid state.  ... and I replaced the plastic wrap with a new piece before putting the lid back on. :winkgrin:  

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great tips for keeping the paint John I keep all my enamels in old biscuit tins because they have a good seal on the lids and I can stack them up to try and keep them tidy so don’t throw them out if you get some over the holiday period :idea:

remember to eat all the bikys first though  :popcorn:

beefy 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robgizlu said:

It adds depth which otherwise was lacking.

From here it looks like the deck is nicely worn

Weathering is always a  tense time with acrylics, it's difficult to go back. Enamels are much more forgiving

Good idea with the AFV stowage

Looks to me like you're on the homeward stretch, keep up the high standards

Kev

• Like 1

Thanks John, Keith, Kev, Stuart and Phil

Not quite so much time over Christmas as anticipated and back to work today:o

Some built up crates from Dan Taylor

ab1dc48d-edbb-4f09-bb2a-4f3393032513.jpg

and some happy painting of signal flags onto cigarette papers - they really  don't need to be accurate as they'll be scrumpled up as per second pic

636039ba-266b-48ef-9d22-2b7684b610fe.jpg

763ed182-712d-40cb-ae23-aa7108d6b41a.jpg

And the underneath "clutter"  of the radar gantry is finally complete so that I can now cut the "base" supports of the gantry away and stick it down...

5e42acd6-b47c-4f12-8393-2d0abddac9e1.jpg

So much for the Christmas "surge":giggle:

Rob

• Like 6