ML196 Fairmile B - Landing Craft Control

MGB 40 awaits a paint job and I'm awaiting parts for a defunct compressor.

So...inspired by Kev Longshanks and his Dog boat build MGB658 I'm going to kick off my attempt at a Fairmile B.  They were in many ways the unsung work horse in motor launches and were deployed in a miriad of roles including acting as navigation leaders to mark channels for landing craft to use in their approaches to the D-Day beaches - as represented by ML 196.

Pictures of these comparatively rare types are hard to come by.  I am indebted to Christian Sheppard-Capurro for passing on some pics

ml248%20as%206003%20rhine%20flotilla%20r

ML248%20MTB20P2248-01%202_zpswinulrvk.jp

ML248%20AS%20ML6003%20UK-02%202_zpspzkst

This pic portrays ML or Q196 as she was on or about D-Day...

Scan0218_zpssigus1ld.jpg

Mark Smiths "Coastal Craft History Volume 3 - Motor Gun Boat, Motor Torpedo Boat and Fast Patrol Boat depicts Q196.  It's an indispensible volume for anyone interested in British Coastal Craft of WWII as our volumes 1 and 2.  Volume  4 is due and will specifically detail Fairmile As, Bs and Cs.

Scan0214_zpsxrsyhbub.jpg

Scan0217_zpsaetiprus.jpg

Further references will include 

DSCF7814_zpsoqzb2yo4.jpg

And unlike the Dog boats there are still a few extant originals of which RLM 497 is probably the best well known having served as a ferry and pleasure day boat around the Dartmouth estuary for many years, she now resides in Portsmouth and I believe will become part of the Naval museum

Fairmile-2013-1st-Day-operating_zps0imca

Th hull comes courtesy of Christian at MTB hulls and is truly a thing of beauty.  if you have any interest in coastal craft - check his site out - he does a huge number of different hulls in different scales

DSCF7803_edited-1_zpsfktq56qe.jpg

DSCF7804_edited-1_zps6pbypyb9.jpg

DSCF7805_edited-1_zpsjf221lcy.jpg

and here it is against the HDML that he also supplied ( this is approximately Vosper MTB sized)

As Longshanks reports with his Fairmile D - the moulding is superb with barely a blemish.  The deck is loose and will need epoxying down which fits with my plans

DSCF7807_edited-1_zps3oge9lsm.jpg

I'll also be using Coastal Craft Model  products  Coastal Craft Models from Martin Blundell which are uniformly excellent.

And Thanks Also to Longshanks for his encouragement and help to date.  If I make half as good a job as MGB658, I'll be delighted.  

More soon

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 11

Most Fairmile Bs had funnels just aft of the wheelhouse.  The Landing Craft control boats had these removed and a lattice gantry was constructed in it's place to hold the Type 970 Radar.  It gives quite a modern look to an otherwise classic Motor launch appearance.  

John Lambert depicts the design as follows 

Scan0220_zpsyplifdoq.jpg

Scan0216_zpshzeyi5qu.jpg

Referencing Mark Smith's profile once again

Scan0214_zpsxrsyhbub.jpg

My notable points and work list is as follows:

1) Scratch the Lattice mast and 970 radar

2) Scratch the Hotchkiss 3 pounder on the foredeck.  Neither Coastal Craft or Mark hawkins on Shapeways represent this.  Coastal Craft's 6 pounder is an entirely different gun

3) I'm considering "planking" the deck  which as the plan view shows was a prominent feature

4) Scratch the ASDIC pod under the hull

5) Both the rocket racks on the side of the wheelhouse and the companionway covers are available from Coastal Craft

6) Scratch the Coach house

7) Aft single and Twin 20mm Oerlikon - Coastal Craft

8) Dinghy - Coastal Craft

9) Chemical Smoke apparatus -  scratch.

10) Depth Caharges - Caostal craft or Great Little Ships

11) Portholes - CC or GLS

12) PROBLEM - These ships used "Taut Wire measurement gear" - and close inspection of John Lambert's plan views  show this at the stern.  Pre-GPS an effective way to measure distance covered was to spool out literally miles of piano wire  having first tied it to a known point such as a buoy or submerged anchor.  I can find only a single picture on the web which whilst tantalising, in no way shows what this really looked like.....

P02305.023_zpsq93zdy8c.jpg

Can anyone give me any advice here please?

13) The Colour scheme is comparatively straight forward with White G45 sides and a B15  middle hull segment.

Here are some of the Coastal craft goodies lined up.....

DSCF7824_zps2gt9zr4s.jpg

I'm conscious that the crucial USP on this build is the lattice Radar tower so without further ado let's get cracking.  I'm using plastruct "L" shaped rods 

My first attempt was too narrow at the top

DSCF7808_zps1m5pkgtw.jpg

So start again:think:

Take 2

DSCF7809_zpsmnssaoxp.jpg

Better.......And with some 15mm diam waste pipe cut with a Stanley knife (tried a pipe cutter but it distorted the plastic) ....

DSCF7810_zpszhgyskze.jpg

It look slop sided but in fact isn't.  i hve no idea how one of these came to find itself on the kitchen window sill;)

DSCF7818_zpsadlbpzsh.jpg

Nearly true......!

On close examination of the wartime pics there is a ladder on the aft side of the tower which reached a platform beneath the cylindrical radar housing..

DSCF7820_zpsepswsto8.jpg

the square cut out in the corner is to allow a prominent pipe to run down from the Radar to the wheel house.  I'm about half way there - I'm looking at ways to roof the radar - Blanking screw caps are currently in front running though I have singly failed to find any at 15mm to date:worry:

And whilst doing this - i had a play around with stanchions that will figure prominently on this build 

DSCF7821_zpsadg3mcsd.jpg

Great Little Ship Stanchions figure in the foreground and whilst they are very detailed they are delicate - David says to stick 2 together but this is an enormous faff.  The white metal are from The GLS Corvette set and don't really belong on this vessel type.  The Coastal craft stanchions on the far side are robust and far easier to use than the GLS offerings but not as detailed.  I'll reflect.

DSCF7822_zps5qvsfm8d.jpg

Thanks for looking - I'm pressing on with the lattice tower.

( And if anyone has any info or pics or wartime "taut wire measuring kit" - Don't forget  I'm your Man)

Rob

• Like 11

:wow:This looks like it will be another great one to follow

I have my eyes on one of the Coastal Craft kits hope to get it this weekend at the Scot Nats show in Perth will be following with a lot of interest  :book:

Beefy

• Like 1

I'll be watching this one with interest.

How are you finding the coastal craft upngrades? Just bought some of their accessory sets via hannants and just looking at them in the bags am very impressed with the detail!

Need to get some of their stanchion sets

That's interesting, the Fairmile B was the base for the M.L.s I believe, which were the ubiquitous work horse small craft, not seen this version before though so is interesting to see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robgizlu said:

If I make half as good a job as MGB658, I'll be delighted.  

I reckon your more than capable and will probably do it in a quarter of the time.

I have a B hull from Christian at http://www.mtbhulls.co.uk/ which I intend doing as a minesweeper in the Med armed with a 40mm bofors in the bow. As you say beautiful looking hull and served in pretty much all theatres.

Great job on the radar tower, I amazed you managed to build it free standing, a testament to the accuracy of your work?

I can think of any references to the 'taut wire measuring kit' but I'll have a root around.

Know what your saying about stanchions, I have yet to have a play but have been thinking of alloy tube, drilled in a jig......

Enjoy your build I know I will

Kev

PS I suspect your 15mm pipe is 'Speedfit'

On 4/24/2017 at 8:52 PM, paul178 said:

If you get stuck join http://www.shippinghistory.com/

Ask Dartskipper he runs the one on the Dart and he is a mine of information.

Thanks for that Paul.

On 4/24/2017 at 8:53 PM, beefy66 said:

I have my eyes on one of the Coastal Craft kits hope to get it this weekend at the Scot Nats show in Perth will be following with a lot of interest  :book:

Beefy

Beefy - which one are you going to get?

On 4/24/2017 at 8:55 PM, 10btaff said:

I'll be watching this one with interest.

How are you finding the coastal craft upngrades? Just bought some of their accessory sets via hannants and just looking at them in the bags am very impressed with the detail!

Need to get some of their stanchion sets

10btaff - I've used quite a few to date.  Some of the resin can be challenging to file and clean up sometimes, otherwise love em to death.

On 4/24/2017 at 10:07 PM, Rob 1 said:

That's interesting, the Fairmile B was the base for the M.L.s I believe, which were the ubiquitous work horse small craft, not seen this version before though so is interesting to see.

Thanks Rob

On 4/24/2017 at 10:50 PM, Francis Macnaughton said:

Taut wire measuring was used by the Abdiel class minelayers and there are a couple of photos in the recent "Very Special ships" by Arthur Nicholson but not a lot of detail shown.

Francis thanks - I've pulled a pic off the web of one of the Abdiels and the gear is visible on the rear deck, that's a big step forwards

On 4/24/2017 at 11:16 PM, longshanks said:

Kev

PS I suspect your 15mm pipe is 'Speedfit'

Well spotted Kev;)

Thanks for the comments about the tower - no-ones more surprised than myself!

I've got to the hard bit which is fitting the diagonals - in 2 bits - they need cutting at an angle:penguin:

Thanks to all for looking

Rob

Edited by robgizlu

Hi Rob

I,am considering the Fairmile D the one with the shark teeth on the bow as per your book referance photo

but they are all great kits already have the BPC 466MTB

Hope to pick up some tips and info from your build  :popcorn: :popcorn:   :book:

Beefy

• Like 2

On 4/26/2017 at 8:50 PM, beefy66 said:

Hi Rob

I,am considering the Fairmile D the one with the shark teeth on the bow as per your book referance photo

but they are all great kits already have the BPC 466MTB

Hope to pick up some tips and info from your build  :popcorn: :popcorn:   :book:

Beefy

Beefy - hope to see you blog both of those :cool:

Rob

• Like 1

Work has been somewhat slow building the gantry...

DSCF7825_zpsoidzzkwj.jpg

It's nearly finished and so far has 72 separate pieces

DSCF7831_zpsl5quqnzk.jpg

I've tried constructing the roof from cut out glued together circles and have this Olfa cutter to thank - a neat piece of kit

DSCF7812_zps3runrfk8.jpg

I also had a very quick "proof of concept" trial on the 3 pounder gun shield.  I over did the heating with a hair dryer to bend the plasticDSCF7826_zpsvbaxjhhr.jpg

and a quick tease shot to see where all this is going

DSCF7829_zpsfgk2pksy.jpg

I'm collecting tools for scratch building.  I was fairly incredulous that you cant buy a small set square in UK.  This Zona example which is perfect came from the USA.  The smallest UK equivalent i could obtain is next to it

DSCF7828_zpsvrywcsr6.jpg

DSCF7827_zpsmxrttabz.jpg

Lots of work and not a lot of progress currently:worry:

Rob

Edited by robgizlu
Restore pic
  • Like 5

Where to start..........

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

and a quick tease shot to see where all this is going

Is that how you do the re cycling in your area? :winkgrin:

Joking aside, cracking job on the radar tower. Looking quite sturdy from here.

I really aught to state the obvious when you ask, the first thing I thought of was discs :banghead:

On the subject of tools have you got RP Tools disc cutter, I find it invaluable?

Couple of ideas for you on the curved screen.

Depending on the thickness of the shield and available stock you could laminate, using two or more layers over a profile. Better to have profile slightly smaller as there will be some spring back.

If your shield is of a thickness that it can be bent and held on profile. Wrap it in masking tape and drop it in just boiled water. Leave for 5 mins and dunk in cold.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs. We need a post/blog on tips/tricks and tools for scratch builders

Kev

• Like 3

17 hours ago, longshanks said:

Is that how you do the re cycling in your area? :winkgrin:

On the subject of tools have you got RP Tools disc cutter, I find it invaluable?

Depending on the thickness of the shield and available stock you could laminate, using two or more layers over a profile. Better to have profile slightly smaller as there will be some spring back.

If your shield is of a thickness that it can be bent and held on profile. Wrap it in masking tape and drop it in just boiled water. Leave for 5 mins and dunk in cold.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs. We need a post/blog on tips/tricks and tools for scratch builders

Kev

:D

Kev - I've checked out RP Toolz - The only disc cutter I can find are the punch & die sets which are Expensive! 

Thanks for the hints and tips - Please keep em coming - Need all the help I can get.  I agree about the SBS blog on scratching.  Trial and error is pretty time consuming.

7 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

For the smaller tools you could try HERE on page 63. Lots on nice stuff in their catalogue

Gondor

Thanks - Gondor - aware and already tried them - when I phoned they were out of the things I needed - most notably a small "L" square.

Thanks for looking

Rob

13 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

punch & die sets which are Expensive! 

I agree, difficult to justify the price but as far as I'm aware it's the only game in town. I got mine on offer at Telford a couple of years ago.

A cheaper solution for some smaller sizes (I seem to recall the Olfa cutter goes to 5mm radius) that I use a fair bit is a leather punch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=leather+punch+pliers&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=3170592632&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_62r5andclt_e

I've  used the Draper on up to .75mm plastic card

Kev

Well I finally took the plunge and got this kit at the Scot Nat's on Saturday along with the new volume 4 of the coastal craft history for the A,B,and C

very interesting read and looking forward to seeing the new B-type kit coming out in November lots more options for the little unknown craft that were used to protect our coast lines :book:

IMG_3646.jpg

Beefy

• Like 3

Yum ! Yum !

Looking forward to see this one in the making, hope I don't have to hold my breath to long.

3 hours ago, beefy66 said:

the new volume 4

Damm more expense, go to have it

Kev

Darn not available on line yet  :(

Edited by longshanks

Looking forward to see this one in the making, hope I don't have to hold my breath to long

Not to long but hope to get a few tips from Rob first always good to follow someone who knows what they are doing

Unlike me both feet first then can not get back out of the hole  :whistle:

Beefy

• Like 1

On 5/2/2017 at 9:11 PM, beefy66 said:

Not to long but hope to get a few tips from Rob first always good to follow someone who knows what they are doing

Unlike me both feet first then can not get back out of the hole  :whistle:

Beefy

Beefy - I definitely belong to the both feet first and trouble getting out of the hole camp;)

I've had a splash out on some books this week as it looks like I'm going to be building Coastal craft for some time to come.

DSCF7837_zpsk5wtqwbs.jpg

The Mediterranean MTBs was had for a fiver so I'm Mr Happy:like:

The Coastal Craft Vol 4 is just fab - so many inspirational pics.

Sometimes you spend a lot of time searching the web when if you just stopped and thought - try the OBVIOUS places ........................Arrrrgh that will be the Imperial War Museums Excellent web site then.  So with grateful acknowledgement to the IWM collection I present these 2 pics that I found this morning, the first of  a Navigational leader Fairmile B

large_000000%201_zpsotqk0ucq.jpg

And the second of ...."Taut wire measuring gear" - Success!!!

large_000000%208_zpsfyknkhbn.jpg

Close inspection of the Fairmile B shows that the radar gantry does NOT have cross members at each of the diagonals contradicting the John Lambert plans.  None of the 3 original pics show them with the 196 picture being unsighted.   I had ignored the previous pictures but I rather think this clinches it.  So I think it's start again on the Gantry, and of course I've run out of "L" plate:headbang:

Ah - the joys of scratchbuilding:nuts:

Rob

• Like 3

Looking like a good find with those pics.

I did look in IWM but with no luck, I do find their search engine a bit hit or miss....

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Ah - the joys of scratchbuilding:nuts:

but think how much quicker it will go the second time around

Thanks for the lead on Vol 4

Kev

PS Did you see L'Arsenal are going to release a set for the 1/144 corvette. More temptation :wink:

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 1

I will have to keep an eye out for those books at the next show I visit  :book:

There is just something about this type of ship that just grabs you by the dangles and will not let go  ;) all the MTB and MGB series are just as bad  :shrug:

Beefy

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Looking like a good find with those pics.

I did look in IWM but with no luck, I do find their search engine a bit hit or miss....

but think how much quicker it will go the second time around

Thanks for the lead on Vol 4

Kev

PS Did you see L'Arsenal are going to release a set for the 1/144 corvette. More temptation :wink:

Kev - you are absolutely right about the search engine!!

And Yes - it would be quicker if I hadn't run out of "L" angle pieces:rage:

And Yes - i did see your thread re L'arsenal resin releases.  I kind of think it's a missed opportunity because you'll still need the Railings that Eduard have spread across their sets.  However, I'll still be getting a set.

I'm surprised by how little has been released around and about the 1/144 Corvette.

PS - You Really need Vol 4 (though it doesn't have a a specific minesweeper profile):coolio:

48 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

There is just something about this type of ship that just grabs you by the dangles and will not let go  ;) all the MTB and MGB series are just as bad  :shrug:

Beefy

OHHHHH Yusss:frantic:  (And this is coming from a former armour modeller:blink2:)

This is a planned build

Scan0222_zpsukcui5f4.jpg

Rob

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

grabs you by the dangles and will not let go

Glad you've been caught in the honey trap :whip:

23 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

you'll still need the Railings that Eduard have spread across their sets

Not got my references handy but I'm thinking some of the stanchions are pipes, query scratch build supplemented by Paul's etch stanchions. You're the man whose been there, does it sound feasible?

25 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

PS - You Really need Vol 4 (though it doesn't have a a specific minesweeper profile):coolio:

Ordered thanks to you ..

I've got a few pics of minesweepers and of course Mr Lambert has a few profiles. I only want a minesweeper so I can have a 40mm bofors on the front :penguin:

Yon MTB 82 is looking sexy, what scale?

Kev

On 5/6/2017 at 5:59 PM, longshanks said:

Ordered thanks to you ..

I've got a few pics of minesweepers and of course Mr Lambert has a few profiles. I only want a minesweeper so I can have a 40mm bofors on the front :penguin:

Yon MTB 82 is looking sexy, what scale?

Kev

Hi Kev - it will be 1/72.  I don't have the room for anything bigger.  I love the scheme - grey just gets so boring!!!

I've been checking out the 40mm Bofors.  I shall be watching that scratchbuilt with interest or if you didn't realise Mark Hawkins does one on Shapeways....https://www.shapeways.com/product/ENEXNYPLR/bofor-mkiii-single-1-72?optionId=60155970

I've asked Mark if he's able to knock up a 2 pounder for the HDML  (I'm lazy!)

rob