Revell MiG-31 1/72

Valkyrie

11 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Nice choice, just paid for one of these myself :)

Good on you...in the hands of an expert you will do it justice.

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A good start Val, and a nice job on the cockpit.

This is going to look great next to your Mig-25.

I hope so tho after seeing you MiG-25 and the stuff at the show at the weekend I'd be a bit embarrassed to display it now. I'm thinking of finishing touches to somehow improve it, hoping for better with the 31! Thanks!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hewy said:

Very good valk, love the office ,i must try these akan paints

Glynn

Thanks Hewy, it does look better in the flesh, I need to invest in a camera. The paints are pretty darn good! Coastal craft do them in singles if you wanted to try or only grab a few rather than like me blowing over half your show budget on sets of for MiG-29 and SU-33 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok so after some delay I have managed to get to the bench on the MiG-31.... there was an intricate undercarriage element to this and I wimped out and stared two SU-27's and a MiG-29 to delay tackling this portion...but today after priming an SU-27 I felt I could give this tricky but a shot and....it was fuss free after all that!

IMG_5260_zps5u0qwqoj.jpg

• Like 2

Boris is your uncle Fayina is your auntie and into the frame they go and poised at correct angle, waiting to dry and I can begin piecing the larger airframe together and get the nose part on, then we may see a MiG taking shape at last....

IMG_5261_zpspzpaacmw.jpg

• Like 4

If this isn't from Russia with love I don't know what is! Only started the other 3 as I was struggling with that under carriage....

IMG_5262_zpsul6legak.jpg

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Is this isn't from Russia with love I don't know what is! Only started the other 3 as I was struggling with that under carriage....

Wow, it certainly is :heart: Lots of dedication to the topic on your bench :thumbsup:

And the progress on the MiG-31 looks great too.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

IMG_5269_zpskfhubdgw.jpg

Ok so here is where we are at. Not the most straight forward but a sandwich fit top on bottom, couple of pins either side as a guide at the forward end, nothing atback end and as such the fit was a bit gappy and skewif, I hope the stabiliser fin section willhide this tho. Cock pit end on too, good firm guides to glue in and intakes also almost snap on either side of cockpit. Detail on this kit is very very good. 

• Like 3

Tonight's progress..engine intakes and stabilisers and fins on, taking shape now. Nice clean model, probably one of the most quality kits I've worked on. Soon be time for primer...once I've masked the intricate canopy!

IMG_5276_zpsmhvjejz8.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This may take a while, I've not heard good things about after market canopy masks, but this is looking like a good few hours work. Anyone recommend a mask for this?

IMG_4963_zpsdhvpomci.jpg

• Like 2

Coming along nicely. Sorry, can't help you with a mask recommendation. But there is always the old fashioned way by using thin Tamiya masking tape (the thinnest you can get as it will follow curves nicely) along the edge and then filling the centre with wider tape- unfortunately a bit fiddly and time consuming.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 1

Excellent progress Valkyrie. I'm afraid I cannot help with masks either - I paint mine with a very fine brush and tidy up with the side of the end of a cocktail stick. Good luck! :thumbsup:

KInd regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 02/07/2017 at 4:56 AM, Basilisk said:

Coming along nicely. Sorry, can't help you with a mask recommendation. But there is always the old fashioned way by using thin Tamiya masking tape (the thinnest you can get as it will follow curves nicely) along the edge and then filling the centre with wider tape- unfortunately a bit fiddly and time consuming.

Cheers, Peter

I think this will need to be a few practices on easier canopies but il give this a good shot,

thanks 

On 03/07/2017 at 4:13 PM, PlaStix said:

Excellent progress Valkyrie. I'm afraid I cannot help with masks either - I paint mine with a very fine brush and tidy up with the side of the end of a cocktail stick. Good luck! :thumbsup:

KInd regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, do you do a rough mask then finite trimming with ct stick?

cheers 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That was less time and hassle than I was expecting. Going to pose canopy open as it's the best cockpit I've done in my newbie effort and you don't get to see much if closed, no idea how the air crew see anything either. I have also detail brush black of the really great panel lines, see how this works for me. Tamiya primer ran out just as I got this finished, think it's pretty good stuff so il stick to that and order more 

IMG_5632

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Good to see that you managed masking the canopy :clap2: This is one of my least favored tasks in a build.

Always good to get to the painting stage.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks! Yes tedious task doing canopies and as they go this must be one of the most painstaking in a modern jet

• 2 weeks later...

Ok the clock is ticking here....I have kind of done this back to front, I knew I wanted to build a MiG-31 but only now have I began the research for a Russian Navy MiG-31 and here she is, or will be very like this one, perhaps Bort 28 

http://transport-photo.com/photo/18667/MiG-31-Russian-Navy.html