The South Downs Flying Club

Well here it is folks – please be gentle – my first RFI…

By the way - it is "going to be" a diorama - when I build a base :)

This was actually built last year & was my first project – but I didn’t have a clue how to post pictures until today – thanks to another member “cathasatail” (thank you).

The South Downs Flying Club is the fictitious aero club that Michael Caine’s squadron is sent to in the epic movie – The Battle of Britain.  In the movie the club’s name has been white washed out – but it is still easy to see.  This is obviously a scratch build with evergreen plastic & a lot of brush painted humbrol 70.  I had trouble with the windows – so I added the shutters & closed 3 of them off.  The others were “glazed” – but that didn’t work either – so…

…the mother in-law – who is a bit of an “artist” pointed out that when she is painting windows they look black – rather than transparent – so black they are.

I hope you like it & any comments would be most appreciated – I am still learning after all.

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

Thanks for taking a look - I'm no David Bailey.

Steve

• Like 15

That looks great, can I order one for the garden?

I'm also working on an BoB RAF building – currently experimenting with making 1/48 corrugated panels for the roof. So far without much success. :hmmm:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hey Max - what do you think - deck chairs added...

IMG_1508.jpg

Great! It's as if you had them ready........

It looks as if it's dusk, so more flying tonight.

:lol:

Trevor

• Like 1

Yeh - they were just stacked up at the back of the shed - waiting for a late sunny summer evening - ready for the boys when they get back from fighting the hun - that & a cold beer. ;)

But seriously - I am building a proper base for this - but the Gypsy Moths I planned are killing me (1/48 A Model DH60's - very tricky for a beginner) - so for now it is just a grass mat as a base & a picture of a hedge & a south downs type back drop.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gorbygould said:

I'm also working on an BoB RAF building – currently experimenting with making 1/48 corrugated panels for the roof. So far without much success. :hmmm:

We bought some Raspberries from Waitrose the other day and they had some corrugated material in the bottom of the container, might be worth a look.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gorbygould said:

Both Evergreen & Plastruct do various corrugated sheets - in varying scales - Hatton's in Widnes is a good place to start - but lots of the traders on here sell one or the other too.

That's grand that is.

May I make a couple of suggestions on the windows? Yes?

Cool.

You don't say what your problems were, but I'm guessing finding a suitable material, and getting it to stick to the frames?

Well, I use the transparent plastic from food and product packaging. Margarine lids, vacuum packed toys, plastic-boxed living flowers, what ever....

You can search for the plastics which glue best for the glue you are using. Personally, I use medium CA to glue the 'glass' to other plastics and haven't had a problem yet. Gluing it to wood might be a bit more difficult due to the porosity of the wood, but all you have to do is spread CA onto the wood and let it soak in, and then, once dry, re-apply. This should seal the wood and form a layer of dried CA, which will then readily accept more CA. So, then you can glue the 'glass' in place.

Failing that, you could always make your window frames with two identical frames, and a third with a larger 'hole'. So the idea is that the third 'frame' with the 'glass' inserted into the 'hole' is sandwiched between the other two. That way, you only need glue the frames together. The glass itself is held in place by the frames.

And finally, yes, windows appear black if the room behind is not lit, but they don't appear matt black. Neither do they appear black from all angles, what with reflections etc. So I would go with the transparent plastic.. BUT, I suppose your windows COULD have been deliberately 'blacked out' with black paint, I THINK they might also have tape on them as well as a preventative measure against flying shards of glass during  bomb blasts) ??

Just an idea.

I am interested to see what your dio turns out like.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Doug Rogers said:

We bought some Raspberries from Waitrose the other day and they had some corrugated material in the bottom of the container, might be worth a look.

Thanks for that Doug, I don't think she bought raspberries this time, but I will certainly examine the bottom of her strawberry's (that's a phrase I never thought I would use).

10 hours ago, BIG X said:

Both Evergreen & Plastruct do various corrugated sheets - in varying scales - Hatton's in Widnes is a good place to start - but lots of the traders on here sell one or the other too.

Thanks Big X, in time you will learn that when money finds its way to me, I don't like letting it go - I don't like goodbye's. I normally don't buy when there is the remotest chance that I will be able to make an item myself. My corrugated panel experiment, although still in its infancy, is starting to show promise and I'm as stubborn as I am tight frugal.

My investigations have had to be postponed today due to having to deal with Npower and then the rest of the day drafting a letter to Ofgem. But I persist in deluded idea that I'm inventive and I feel that eureka moment is near at hand (cue manic laughing…). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gorbygould said:

Not perfect - but getting there....

3c5b1bce-59a7-4573-a22d-5b0f8aa7e78a.JPG

I have seen a little roller machine - In hobbycraft I think that corrugates tinfoil - but this looks pretty good actually.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I have seen a little roller machine - In hobbycraft I think that corrugates tinfoil - but this looks pretty good actually.

Yes I've seen that online, but I'm not sure if it would be the correct scale corrugations. From the dimensions I have found online, my home-built corrugator gets as close to 1/48 as I can manage.

Incidentally, it isn't just because of the money - I like to give myself a challenge sometimes to give my little grey cells something to do to make sure they are working. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

BIG X ... just found this ... very good I always did love that movie. One of the signs i remember seeing in photos. I rememver it stuck with me the most and dealt with the Blitz . I remember a sign next to a Bell taken next to a shack like this. It read like this

" Dont come and Tell ...

Ring this bell like H*** !"

Those two lines always stuck with me when i hear or read about the blitz.

• Like 2