RAAF Beaufighter colours

Sydhuey

16 minutes ago, JasonC said:

You just need to take the link itself, in this case http://s17.....etc and put {img} before it, and {/img} at the end. Note that the brackets should be square brackets (i.e. [ & ]), but I can't use them otherwise the software tries to parse it.

img103_zpsktd3jy7h.jpg

cheers,

Jason

As I hate bloody links and computers in general ( I still hand write all my research notes) I will just use this pic to start with Jason put up for me.

This is Mk 21 Beaufighter A8-11 EH-D of 31 Sqn, this is one of the Aust built Mk 21's repainted by 31 Sqn from all over Foliage Green to Mid Green/Medium Grey over Light Blue, this photo has been around for years but only in the last couple of years it was realised it was a repaint. I will post more when I work out this link crap!  

• Like 2

11700849_10153204652292639_4150316441528

Well don't know how I did that but we will go with it!

31 Sqn Ic's at RAAF Base Wagga when Sqn formed in Aug 42 , note the first and second aircraft, one is in TLS (probably the second) and one in TSS (more than likely the first) , as the majority of the first batch went to 30 Sqn , 31 got most of the second batch which is when the TSS scheme  aircraft came into the country

A19-189_zpsqzcrlypj.png

30 Sqn Morotai 1945, this photo has always been marked as "30 Sqn Aust Built Mk 21 Beaufighter's" Z-LY,X-LY and W-LY are Aust build Mk 21's note the different Sqn code application, and the shine of the Foliage Green paint, the other Beaufighter is a UK built Mk X A19-189 , note the dull finish of the Matt paint and the different shade of the upper EDSG TSS scheme and the LY-V code which was the norm on all the UK built machines. 

img102_zpsh3hu78tx.jpg

Another of the 31 Sqn Mk 21 modified schemes

P01157_009_zpsiaiajj8o.jpg

Aust built Mk 21 A8-8 EH-K, this is also in the 31 Sqn repaint scheme , note the lower light colour  believed to be light blue not normal of Aust Mk 21's

Edited by Sydhuey
  • Like 4

On 23 April 2017 at 9:42 PM, Sydhuey said:

The first 54 for the RAAF were ordered in May 41 and arrived from Mar 42, when ordered TLS was still the official scheme in the UK , crosschecking serial batches UK to Australia, aircraft of similar serial numbers were in Sqn use in the UK 4-5 months before arrival in Australia, this 4-5 month time line was the same for most aircraft from the UK from build to service in Australia, there is no doubt the first batch of Beaufighter's in Australia were in TLS , my main point is the persistent story of this colour scheme continuing through the whole 217 UK built aircraft. 

That's as maybe but it depends on when the aircraft delivered in Mar 42 were manufactured and painted not when they were ordered. The Aug 41 order specifically mentions "arrangements being made" to make the colour scheme changes to Beaufighters on the production line so there would probably have been a time lag allowing for part of the first deliveries to still be TLS. When white was first introduced the Beaus were excluded and required to be painted Sky (duck egg blue) underneath (thus TSS over Sky). In the Feb 1943 DTD Circular 360 a distinction was made whereby all aircraft on coastal duties overseas were to be painted Azure Blue underneath. Azure had been promulgated as the under surface colour for all operational aircraft in service overseas (both in Desert and TLS) in a postagram amendment to AMOs in Oct 41. This was rescinded in the July 1943 DTD which required all overseas aircraft on coastal duties to conform to home-based Coastal Command schemes and white under surfaces. Air HQ India objected to this and submitted a case for GR and PR aircraft in the Far East to continue to use Azure Blue. The outcome of that is uncertain but the Air HQ India order of Apr 44 states such aircraft were to be white underneath with the caveat that aircraft used on GR in Coastal areas and painted Azure Blue would not be re-camouflaged until maintenance requirements dictate.  

Those orders whilst not directly relevant to RAAF practices would have had a bearing on delivery schemes. So there would have been a period of production with coastal Beaus (suffix 'c') destined for overseas use being in TSS over Azure Blue, the sequence being TLS over Sky, TSS over Sky, TSS over Azure. 

Nick

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:55 PM, MikeR said:

What about DK Decals original RAAF Beaufighter decal sheet: LINK. How accurate are the serial/colour scheme call outs?

Likewise their more recent sheet: LINK.

Mike.

Ok , as has been said in the past the DK series are good quality decals but research each aircraft yourself there are lots of errors, great basis for what you want.

This is my basic list and interpretations.

original sheet.

1/TLS not TSS

2/TLS not TSS

3/OK

4/I think TSS not mixed scheme , but a possibility?

5/TLS not TSS and the dress should be pale blue like the original artwork taken from "MAN" magazine. 

6/Ok

7/Ok

8/Ok

9/Medium Sea Grey instead of the Earth Brown, 31 Sqn complained about the DE on their original TLS Ic's they would not then go and do Earth Brown on a Mk21.

as I said this is my interpretation, #9 could be Medium Green/Medium Sea Grey over Light (Sky) Blue or Foliage Green/Medium Sea Grey over Sea Grey as per the official scheme variation.

Sheet 2

1/note this has been corrected from the first sheet to TLS , but still has a Yellow dress instead of light blue.

2/ A19-191 This is a Late Mk X its original serial was NE231, I think it should be in the same scheme as the 3 x 455 Sqn machines 20,21 and 22 all NE serials as well, but as I mentioned in the post with Tony a couple of the early NE serialed aircraft may be in the two tone TSS but the later ones are in the single upper colour TSS.

3/A19-151/205 , this aircraft never actually flew in this config, 205 damaged its tail and it was replaced , 151 crashlanded and damaged its tail badly , the old tail of 205 was attached to allow it to be moved around , the aircraft was then broken up for spares, but if this was done , the fuselage of 151 is ok in the two colour TSS , but the tail should be in the single EDSG TSS , 205's original serial was NE585 same scheme as the 3 x 455 Sqn machines.

4/Maybe , 31 Sqn machine was originally in TLS may have been repainted , up to the individual. Believe is should have 3/5  ratio roundels like #1 and #3 not the later 2/5 ratio

5/Ok though code should be EH-T both sides not T-EH  ( this is like #2  one of the early NE series may be single or Two colour TSS up to you)

6/ thru 15/ all look gen ok.  

Edited by Sydhuey
  • Like 2

With respect to the first 54 Beaufighter 1cs, Syd's wording may be ambiguous - they were manufactured in 1941 and delivered sometime before November 1941 to 47MU and the RAF Packing Depot for packing prior to shipping to Australia. They arrived in Australia in March 1942 for erection at 1 and 2 Aircraft Depots from April 42. Thus they are still in the TLS window for production.

See

25-11-41_Beaufighter_Packing.jpeg

Cheers.

Edited by Biggles81
Addition of document
  • Like 1

Hey Nick , that may be true, I know a lot of Spits that came in Desert Scheme over Azure Blue got repainted fairly quickly ( though were used in action for awhile), I have not heard of any of the Beaufighter having Azure Blue under but as I said for many years everyone just assumed they were all TLS over Sky and the late Mk X and XI's match fairly well with European based aircraft from similar serial batches.  

4 minutes ago, Biggles81 said:

With respect to the first 54 Beaufighter 1cs, Syd's wording may be ambiguous - they were manufactured in 1941 and delivered sometime before November 1941 to 47MU for packing prior to shipping to Australia. They arrived in Australia in March 1942 for erection at 1 and 2 Aircraft Depots from April 42. Thus they are still in the TLS window for production.

Thanks Biggles that's what I was trying to get across.

On 25/04/2017 at 9:14 PM, Sydhuey said:

As I hate bloody links and computers in general ( I still hand write all my research notes) I will just use this pic to start with Jason put up for me.

This is Mk 21 Beaufighter A8-11 EH-D of 31 Sqn, this is one of the Aust built Mk 21's repainted by 31 Sqn from all over Foliage Green to Mid Green/Medium Grey over Light Blue, this photo has been around for years but only in the last couple of years it was realised it was a repaint. I will post more when I work out this link crap!  

Hi Syd

I think a close look at this photo will reveal that it is a A19, and not A8 (so not A8-11).  Have a careful look at the nose, really no sperry bulge.  Different size and proportion of the roundels, wide fin flash, particularly the white area is wider than the blue area, fittment of 2 antennae loops under the perspex cover, large cowl 'pimples' instead of small, English style wing pitot, indicate this one is English built, not Aussie built.  I can't find a pic with a clear view of the serial to confirm which one it actually is.

V0Zs4JJ.jpg

Compare with A8-42

tVZI2ug.jpg

For your consideration.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Ozhawk40

Correct , I thought the sperry bump was there but its a shadow, Can't find a EH-D in the list so don't know the serial , that would mean the text for the pic and reference in both Parnell books are wrong, the other 2  Mk 21 pics with the 31 Sqn scheme are Mk 21's.;-)

8 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Britmodeller at its best.  Valuable original research enhanced by interested and informed discussion.  Well done, all.

+ 100 !

Truly fascinating !!

5 hours ago, Ozhawk40 said:

Hi Syd

I think a close look at this photo will reveal that it is a A19, and not A8 (so not A8-11).  Have a careful look at the nose, really no sperry bulge.  Different size and proportion of the roundels, wide fin flash, particularly the white area is wider than the blue area, fittment of 2 antennae loops under the perspex cover, large cowl 'pimples' instead of small, English style wing pitot, indicate this one is English built, not Aussie built.  I can't find a pic with a clear view of the serial to confirm which one it actually is.

EH-D%20in%20flight%20straight.jpeg

Compare with A8-42

raaf_24%20A8-42%20for%20comparison.jpg

For your consideration.

Cheers

Peter

But the ADF site says the following about the Beauf. coded EH-D:

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a8.htm

A8-11

05/08/44 1 AD.
16/10/44 31 Sqn Code: EH-D (Parnell p.115).
18/02/45 hit a parked aircraft when brakes failed.
13/04/45 5 RSU.
29/01/46 converted to components.

So it should be a DAP built Beau without the Sperry autopilot?

Or it is there but too indistinct in the photo ...

Hi Occa

I think it is a case of Parnell mis-identifying the aircraft in the photo.  The entry in the adf-serials site needs to be re-visited.  A8-11 may be EH-D or it may not. Depends on the source of the information.

The picture is of an English built Beaufighter, not an Aussie one. 

Anyway, 31 Squadron did repaint their early foliage green Aussie aircraft to some extent as per Syd's comments, but there are other, better pictures to illustrate the point.  All good.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Ozhawk40
  • Like 2

The ADF serials site is a constant work in progress, a few mistakes slip thru and it depends on the reference material , the Parnell books for example are probably the best on RAAF Beau operations but sometimes like this a photo gets misidentified, as I said initially I thought it was a Mk21 but the nose hump was just a shadow, Peter listed about 4 other differences between Aussie and UK built Beau's. 

• Like 1

On from the Schemes, as well as 250 Ib and 500 Ib bombs and Rockets , these are some of the nasties dropped by RAAF Beaufighter's mainly 30 Sqn thru 44 and 45..

20 Ib fragmentation bomb clusters.

20Ib%20frag%201_zpswsdvoyl1.jpg

20%20Ib%20frag%202_zps98mzqdko.jpg

100 Ib Napalm bombs

100Ib%20Napalm_zpsqjrfbyw1.jpg

300Ib US Depth chargers

300Ib%20DC_zpsg9dk0lti.jpg

600 Ib Magnesium Incendiary Bomb

600Ib%20Mag%20Incend._zps75l8srpn.jpg

one of the other local specials were 44 gal drums of napalm with 20Ib incendiaries attached.

• Like 2

I have a couple of observations to add to this thread as I too have been looking closely at RAAF Beaufighter camouflage for a long time now as well but with some conflicting results to Sydhuey's (Mark's) summary at the start of this thread. This post is not to attack the thread but to add some other perspectives. Certainly RAAF Beaufighter camouflage is a minefield of contradictory information and the arguments for and against Temperate Land Scheme (TLS) and Temperate Sea Scheme (TSS) have raged back and forth on Australian and other forums and modelling circles for a long time. Anyways here goes for some additional perspectives. 

Firstly thanks Peter for the grab from the colour Milne Bay footage. I have a similar one in my files and was going to use it to launch my own analysis of camouflage, particularly of the early Mark Ic aircraft. It certainly confirms that at least some of the Mark Ic's delivered were in TLS (and I agree probably the majority of the first 54). However there are some outliers for which examples have been posted such as A19-17 posted by Occa, which I suspect is a repaint from TLS. One thing I have been looking at is the relative final values of known or suspected TLS and TSS Mark Ic airframes, as well as the early Mark VIs such as A19-87 (R) of 30 Sqn in PNG. Of note the remains of A19-43 when in possession of the Morabbinn Air Museum also exhibited what appears to be remains of TSS (Ie EDSG/DSG over Sky) and not TLS (DG/DE over Sky) as expected but it could be the result of repaints in service.

A91-43:

Beaufighter_A19_43.jpg

Sydhuey has posted a photo of 31 Sqn Beaufighters at Wagga with both TLS and TSS aircraft represented. I agree with this analysis and further posit that an indicator of a factory painted TLS vs TSS Beaufighter is the tone of the colour that runs through the observers canopy position. I believe if it is dark it is possibly TLS and if the lighter tone it is probably TSS as this reflects the relative position of the green colour on the relevant air diagrams. So further to the still photo are these screen captures showing Mark Ic (or Mark VIc) TLS and TSS airframes side by side from film taken probably at the same time:

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-13%20at%206.59.3

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-13%20at%206.59.0

This technique gives a potential rule of thumb to break out probable TLS from TSS painted aircraft. However there are gotchas with this approach. For example A19-87 as a Mark VIc should be in TSS but photos of it in 30 Squadron service have been attributed to both TSS and TLS schemes. I actually think it is neither. I believe it was factory painted in TSS and subsequently repainted in RAAF service, most likely with the Dark Slate Grey overpainted by Foliage Green or similar. The key here is the demarcation between the undersurface and the upper colours where the dark toned colour overlaps the Sky undersurfaces but that the original probable Extra Dark Sea Grey does not and follows the factory demarcation. See the following image:

A19-087_02_zps01921a19.jpg

Other problems emerge when looking at Mark Ic airframes - for instance A19-5 "F" is on the balance of probability in TLS whilst A19-54 "V" could be interpreted as being in TSS, however could be painted TLS with the colour positions reversed - not surprising as a lot of TSS Beaufighters have DSG where the EDSG should be and vice versa:

P024273.jpg

OG0023.jpg

OG0028.jpg

In conclusion I generally agree with Sydhuey on the point that the early Mark Ic airframes delivered to the RAAF were finished in TLS in accordance with extant RAF AMOs for the Beaufighter when they were produced with some possible exceptions.

Where I start to diverge slightly in my conclusions is in the later deliveries. The serial breakdowns are generally useful - and explains a 31 Sqn submission regarding being equipped with dihedral tail Mark VIC aircraft in the 80 series when the the first report of a dihedral tail on erection is with A19-102 at 1AD per the documents below. Whilst not strictly related to camouflage it seems on first impression that 31 Sqn was more interested in firepower (belt fed 20mm cannons vice magazine fed) and speed (Hercules Mark XI vs Mark VI engines) than camouflage. I have not been able to locate the documented reference to a preference for TSS at 31 Sqn and would welcome some input from others here who have cited such evidence:

9-05-43_31_Sqn_estb_page_1.jpeg

9-05-43_31_Sqn_estb_page_2.jpeg

13-04-43_Beau_VI_Changes_2.jpeg

The big difference is the breakdown of Beaufighter marks delivered to the RAAF. DTS Beaufighter Instruction No 14 gives clear blocks of serials, whilst Syd's original post, ADF Serials and Parnell give a smattering of TF Xs amongst the last Mark XIs received. Why this is important from a camouflage perspective I will get too further on. Again any other sources for the Mark breakdown (ideally with production dates) is welcome as the Aircraft History Cards do not provide RAF Serial and only the basic engine type as well as delivery date in Australia only, which makes discrimination of the different marks (especially XI and TFX) difficult.

Beaufighter Instruction 14 is as follows:

Beau_Inst_14.jpeg

This breakdown of types becomes important as at least a block of the TF X aircraft received by the RAAF, starting at A9-164 and probably up to A19-171 but perhaps up to A19-187 (that is the LX and LZ serially airframes) were delivered in Special Coastal Duties Scheme A (SCD SA) described as the whitex scheme or in some documents as fuselage in white and upper surface of wings in blue, with white undersurfaces. It would be helpful to know when the Mark Xs being delivered to the RAAF were manufactured i.e. was it before the change to EDSG over Sky requested by Coastal Command in Oct 1943 or after. Either way at least some of the TF Xs would have to have been repainted by the RAAF and what scheme was applies is a matter of conjecture. I tend to lean towards a variation on TSS but it is worth remembering that the extant official RAAF camouflage scheme at the time was disruptive Foliage Green and Earth Brown over Sky Blue. See the following references to whitex or SCD SA camouflaged Beaufighter deliveries:

A19-165 and 168 in SCD SA reported from 5 Maintenance Group to RAAF HQ on 20 Oct 43:

20-10-43_White_beaus_165_168.jpeg

However the RAAF was aware aircraft in this scheme were coming per the signal below from RAAF HQ on 17 August 1943 to units charged with erecting the UK sourced Beaufighters in Australia:

17-08-43_White_Beaus.jpeg

....and this signal from RAAF Overseas HQ UK of 29 Sep 43 warning that the Beaufighters being shipping were finished in SCD SA. What is of interest is that deliveries of TFX aircraft to the RAAF in the UK commenced in Jun 1943 and the first SCD SA aircraft were noted in Oct 1943 in Australia whilst shipments from the UK in September were also in SCD SA showing a number of TF X reached the RAAF in Australia in this scheme and required a repaint prior to issue to squadrons. Also worth noting is the reference to possibly reverting to Green and Brown camouflage upon request, which probably reflects extant colours specified in the RAAF Aircraft General Instructions for Camouflage mentioned earlier and not the actual colours they were rolling off the line in the UK prior to the introduction of SCD SA:

29-09-43_White_beaus_BG.jpeg

Finally I believe this aircraft is A19-218, the last RAAF TF X although serialled LX 815 (and incorrectly on 218's History Card as LX185) camouflaged in SCD SA in Australia in May 1944 where it was most likely used as a pattern aircraft for Mark 21 production at DAP in 1943-44 before being taken on charge by the RAAF on 20 May 1945 and thus not repainted in service prior to that date:

ShowImage.aspx-10.jpeg

IMG_3505.jpg

What does this all mean? In broad terms I agree with Sydhuey's summary of RAAF Beaufighter camouflage as posted at the start of this thread but wanted to point out that it is even more complicated than this summary at the start of this thread. Early Mark Ics were likely TLS but with some TSS, later Mark Is more prevalent as TSS. The Mark VIs should be TSS but there is some evidence of overpainting in service. The Mark XIs again probably TSS whilst the TF Xs were a varied mix of possible TSS, SCD SA and EDSG over Sky with some evidence of repaints, especially for SCD SA finished aircraft. Certaintly TSS is the likely most common scheme for the majority of UK sourced Beaufighters but as always - caveat emptor. The examples below from war artist William Pidgeon would reinforce TSS as common scheme - with either the colour paintings or notations in sketches of Beaufighter upper surfaces as being Olive and Blue (a good a description if any of TSS) made on Morotai in late Jan 1945, whilst photos posted below also show probableEDSG over Sky and even a TFX (A19-200) in possible compliance of RAAF AGIs of May 1944 calling for overall Foliage Green (heaven forbid). These examples are as follows.

Pidgeons Paintings of 30 Sqn at Morotai:

8890992918_7bdbf85155_o_1.jpg

8890367865_520bb117bb_o_1.jpg

WEP-45-A-1890-P_1.jpg

3-New-Guinea-and-Morotai-3-Morotai-67_1.

TF X in overall Foliage Green? (A19-200):

A19-200_01.jpg

TFX in probable ESDG over Sky A19-19? (already seen in Sydhuey's posts to demonstrate the same scheme)?

31_Squadron_RAAF_personnel_with_RP-3_roc

Finally some other documents are worth noting in relation to understanding the chronology and narrative of RAAF Beaufighter deliveries and camouflage.

Firstly a document breaking down each sub-type by when deliveries to the RAAF commenced in the UK (note not arrival in Australia which other sources tend to focus on):

Beaufighter_type_summary_page1.jpeg

....and Beaufighter Instruction No 22, issued in late Dec 1943 or Early Jan 1944. What is important in this document is para  on page 2 which states that all Beaufighters received for erection in Australia should only receive touch ups unless needing a complete repaint because of delivery in Whitex camouflage (aka Coastal Command SCD SA), in which case AGI Part 3 Section C Number 1 was to be followed. The date of issue here is critical as in May 1944 this AGI reference would change to require Beaufighters be camouflaged overall Foliage Green, whilst prior the scheme for such aircraft should be Foliage Green and Earth Brown over Sky Blue, however from photos it would seem more likely to be TSS in RAAF equivalent paints rather than strict compliance with Instruction 22.

Beau_Inst_22_Page_1_mod_list.jpeg

Beau_inst_22_page_2.jpeg

Edited by Biggles81
grammer and spelling corrected
  • Like 4

Sorry to be long winded above. I did not in the end even mention the repaints of a variety of UK Beaufighters in overall Foliage Green or stripping to bare metal when in service with 5 OTU at RAAF Williamtown in 1944-45.

All comment, criticism and most importantly additional primary material welcome. Thanks Sydhuey for kicking this thread off and forcing me to finally commit my own thoughts to ones and zeros.

Edited by Biggles81

Interesting color mix in the color painting from William Pidgeon ^^

The fuselage is DSG and EDSG, the nose is green (Foliage green ?) and the left engine cowling and the fuselage behind the cockpit seem to be of a lighter green.

I don't think it's artistic license as the painter caught the faded appearance of the DSG/EDSG quite convincing.

I am merely an observer ...

Another curly one - so I have posted this separately from the above. That is the existence of a short lived (in fact to be honest never seen outside the factory) scheme for Mark 21 Beaufighters. The following photos of early Mark 21 production caught my eye:

ShowImage.aspx-13.jpeg

ShowImage.aspx-12.jpeg

They appear to show that at least from A8-1 to A8-22 and stopping sometime before A8-28 there was a scheme of either Foliage Green over Sky Blue or Foliage Green and Earth Brown over Sky Blue being applied to DAP Beaufighter 21s at Fishermans Bend. I posit both schemes as the former looks most likely from the official DAP photos and the latter conforms to RAAF camouflage instructions remembering that AGI Part 3 Section C Number 1 specified overall Foliage Green for Beaufighters and came into force on 26 May 1944. A8-1 also first flew on 26 May 1944 and in overall Foliage Green so must have been refinished prior to roll-out to conform to the new instruction which appears to have been circulating since at least late 1943.

A8-1 at roll out:

IMG_3510_1.jpg

Clearly from photos no Beaufighter 21 entered RAAF service in Foliage Green over Sky Blue so I am interested if anyone has previously run across an official mention of this scheme. Unfortunately most of the DAP BD43A Project and Beaufighter production files have not been digitised and the NAA reading room is shut for renovations for several more months, so in the meantime here is a conumdrum to mull over.

These production line photos are interesting as the scheme is reminiscent of that applied to early Mosquito FB40 aircraft being produced in Australia in 1943, which were finished in Foliage Green and Earth Brown over Sky Blue, albeit with a much clearer demarcation of the upper surface colours than appears in the above Beaufighter photos.

Mosquito FB40 A52-3

VIC0984E_1.jpg

Edited by Biggles81
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, occa said:

Interesting color mix in the color painting from William Pidgeon ^^

The fuselage is DSG and EDSG, the nose is green (Foliage green ?) and the left engine cowling and the fuselage behind the cockpit seems to be of a lighter green.

I don't think it's artistic license as the painter caught the faded appearance of the DSG/EDSG quite convincing.

Pidgeon spent a lot of time around the RSU on Morotai, but whilst he noted colours, he often then abstracted them. This watercolour is a study for a more abstract painting so I am not sure the foliage green is more than an attempt to show light at play, but I am willing to be convinced otherwise. The photo below it is from his papers and is clearly the subject of the painting for what it is worth. I admit I am more interested in the clear depictions of TSS otherwise in his paintings and sketches and what that meant for the subject of the thread but a good comment.

Biggles , yours and mine opinions of  the Beaufighter are pretty close, couple of variations but close.

Interesting shot of A19-218 (LX815) I haven't seen that whole photo before , usually the tail is cut of LX815 and A19-2 with the Wright Cyclone engines fitted is the main theme, A19-218 history card , not the first time the UK or US serial is wrong, several Boston's have the wrong original serials on their cards as well, once the RAAF serial was applied the old serial was purely a reference. The big mistake on the Boston cards was A28-78 they had a serial of an A-20J not A-20G , and for years all records listed the RAAF as operating 1 x A-20J ( the real A-20J served with the RAF with 88 Sqn as a Boston IV).

DAP had an official Mk 21 scheme Foliage Green/Earth Brown over Sky Blue that was never used. Same as the Mosquito, the rehash of paint schemes in mid 44 over road application of this scheme.

Attached reference to the official approval for variation to the all-over Foliage Green scheme in the Darwin area, refers to the A19 Beaufighter's but as none were in this scheme up there at the time ,I think was used as the basis for the variations 31 Sqn did to their Mk 21 which started arriving soon after. 

Docs13a_zpsozyjipyn.jpg

Edited by Sydhuey

On 25/04/2017 at 3:28 PM, Sydhuey said:

Ok , as has been said in the past the DK series are good quality decals but research each aircraft yourself there are lots of errors, great basis for what you want.

----SNIP----

Thanks, Syd, much appreciated!

Mike.B)

Great stuff Biggles , I never knew of Beaufighter's delivered in the white coastal scheme, hard to find photo's of them in UK service let alone the RAAF getting some, of interest was the message about A19-168 and 165 coming in that scheme and being Mk X's and the first couple in the LX series, of note A19-165 was the first Beaufighter with feathering props to get to 31 Sqn and it was in this aircraft just after its arrival that Ace Butch Gordon crashed and was killed, it was supposedly due to dual engine failure but many think it was his unfamiliarity with the prop feathering and playing with this is what caused his crash.   

Edited by Sydhuey

Interesting stuff too Mark, the early Foliage Green/Earth Brown over Sky Blue scheme must have been applied to early Beaufigter 21s on the production line, but refinished before roll out. 

The document from 22 Group NWA is interesting, but I find the colour references intriguing. Medium Sea Grey with Foliage Green would make for a very high contrast scheme, but what exactly is meant by Sea Grey for the undersurfaces. There was no colour by that name in the RAAF Vocabulary of Stores so it leaves one wondering if this was a colloquial reference to another grey colour.

Glad I could contribute more re the SCD SA Beaufighter deliveries, although it begs the question what colours they were refinished in as photos of these airframes are hard to come by and generally too dark or low res to make an educated interpretation. There must be something in 5 Maintenance Group or 1AD/2AD files but finding it is difficult and the official position would have led to Foliage Green and Earth Brown over Sky Blue aircraft which does not appear to have happened. One final note regarding A19-218/LX815 is that there is a file in the NAA dated 1943 about DAP importing a TFX pattern aircraft. I would suggest this is how LX815 ended up in Australia and remaining in SCD SA and not being taken on charge by the RAAF (from DAP) until May 1945 (especially as the photo I posted was probably taken at A8-1's rollout in May 1944,a full year before taken on RAAF charge) but again until the NAA reading rooms reopen  it will be difficult to confirm.

I noted in a lot of Beaufigher technical files warnings regarding the feathering system in TF Xs and that feathering engines after more than four hours of flight except in emergency was discouraged. One wonders if this did indeed cause Gordon's accident in May 44 in 165. I also note that 168 was also written off very early in its life. Perhaps a connection?

Edited by Biggles81
  • Like 1

The late model Mk X with the feathering props was something the RAAF wanted, I have in my Boston info how 30 Sqn was jealous of 22 Sqn with feathering props on the Boston and how the chances of getting home on one engine were greatly increased, Gordon was a very experienced pilot and was keen to try it out , witnesses said they saw him fly down the strip with the Stbd prop feathered, it was then seen decending behind a hill with the Port prop windmilling.

The text of interviews I have seen and talking to Neville Parnell, I think 31 Sqn used the permission to change colours as a reference only, and used their own colours , the supposed "Medium Green Mix" , plus "Sea Grey Mix" plus Sky Blue, I think they lightened Foliage Green and Extra Dark Sea Grey over RAAF Sky Blue, as in photo's of 31 Sqn Mk 21's the upper colour contrast is not that great and the lower colour is very pale.  

• Like 1