RAAF Beaufighter colours

Sydhuey

On 2017-4-27 at 5:47 AM, Sydhuey said:

Great stuff Biggles , I never knew of Beaufighter's delivered in the white coastal scheme, hard to find photo's of them in UK service let alone the RAAF getting some, of interest was the message about A19-168 and 165 coming in that scheme and being Mk X's and the first couple in the LX series, of note A19-165 was the first Beaufighter with feathering props to get to 31 Sqn and it was in this aircraft just after its arrival that Ace Butch Gordon crashed and was killed, it was supposedly due to dual engine failure but many think it was his unfamiliarity with the prop feathering and playing with this is what caused his crash.   

404 Sqn RCAF and 235 Sqn RAF based in the UK received white and grey Beau`s and applied invividual codes to them but after only a few ops the scheme was altered to resemble the EDSG/Sky scheme,.....with with only the sides repainted in EDSG there was often a very visible demarcation line along the top of the fuselage!

Image result for beaufighter white

Image result for beaufighter 235 sqn

Image result for 404 sqn beaufighter

Check out these Avieology decals,......Terry is an expert on British based Beau`s and his decal instructions are worth the price alone for their info!

http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/reviews/decals/aviaeology72002mreviewmd_1.htm

He has also written some special `pull out' articles for Airfix Magazine on the Beau which explain the colours and markings from the factory to Coastal Command service very well.

Beaufighter MkIC RAF 235Sqn A T3295 Hilliard and Hoyle Arbroath 4th Mar 1943 Britain at War 080 2013 12 Page 055

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, tonyot said:

404 Sqn RCAF and 235 Sqn RAF based in the UK received white and grey Beau`s and applied invividual codes to them but after only a few ops the scheme was altered to resemble the EDSG/Sky scheme,.....with with only the sides repainted in EDSG there was often a very visible demarcation line along the top of the fuselage!

Image result for beaufighter white

Image result for beaufighter 235 sqn

Image result for 404 sqn beaufighter

Check out these Avieology decals,......Terry is an expert on British based Beau`s and his decal instructions are worth the price alone for their info!

http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/reviews/decals/aviaeology72002mreviewmd_1.htm

He has also written some special `pull out' articles for Airfix Magazine on the Beau which explain the colours and markings from the factory to Coastal Command service very well.

Beaufighter MkIC RAF 235Sqn A T3295 Hilliard and Hoyle Arbroath 4th Mar 1943 Britain at War 080 2013 12 Page 055

Cheers

Tony

A not very satisfactory scheme for low level attack aircraft is it !! Ok for solitary maritime patrol aircraft but not ideal for a Sqn worth of aircraft, no wonder the Beaufighter Sqn's quickly over painted them.

Re Beaufighter A19-218, (LX815).

The IPMS NSW Magazine, In Miniature Vol 20 No. 1, had an article on this aircraft by Roger Lambert and Fred Harris. It features four photos of the aircraft when it did its first engine runs, shortly after erection, on 26 Nov 1943. It retains its original RAF markings, but with the Red painted out - even the Yellow surround remains around the fuselage roundel. The shot of it, posted by Biggles, was taken at a press day for the roll out of A8-1 on 26 May 1944. Incidentally, the aircraft just above A8-1's tail is the first Beaufreighter.

David Muir also had an article in the APMA magazine, issue and date unknown, (I only have a photo copy and wish I had better as it has a nice side on shot of A19-2 with the Cyclone engines), in which he had drawings of both LX815 and A19-2.

An interesting point is that the Nov 1943 photos show the aircraft without serial. In the May 1944 photos, it can be seen to be painted incorrectly, with a hyphen between the LX and 815. Clearly the serial has been added after the aircraft was erected and people at the DAP have done it as if they were doing a normal RAAF stores number.

A19-218_01_zpsgyfccjho.jpg

The White Elepahnt at Fishermans Bend in November 1943. As the aircraft is stationary the lower part of the air brake has fallen to the open position. The venturi that supplies the negative pressure to the bellows to keep the dive brakes closed in flight and, when closed, the positive pressure to deploy them, can be seen under the wing.

Although LX815 was not allotted a RAAF stores number until a year after the last Brit Beau had been received in July 1944, clearly it had arrived in Australia well before then, circa early October 1943. Incidentally, this is about the same time as A19-165 and 168 that are mentioned in the Postgram of 20 Oct 1943 from No. 2 AD as being 'TFX' aircraft with dive brakes and carrying white camouflage, (posted earlier by Biggles). If you are wondering why A19-166 and -167 were not mentioned in the Postgram, it is because they were received by 2 AD on 27 October, after that signal was sent. A19-165 and -168 had arrived on 7 October. The RAAF received seven Mk. X Beaus carrying serials in the LX range. I think these were all finished in the SCD SA scheme and probably had air brakes. Most seem to have been about four months at the AD before going to another unit. For re-painting and removal of air brakes? Certainly, later photos of A19-166 and -170 show them in two colour upper surface camouflage schemes and no sign of the venturi that worked the air brakes.

Biggles is probably correct in describing LX815 as a pattern aircraft for Australian production, (the first drawings were received circa Feb 1943, and LX815 circa Oct 43), but I have been told by an engineer at DAP at the time, that it was of particular interest because it was fitted with the Fairey-Youngman, venturi-operated bellows type, air brakes. These were of particular interest as they would allow the aircraft to dive more steeply in the dive-bombing role, and improve bombing accuracy. DAP flew trials to judge the effectiveness and practicality of the flaps, and whether they were worthwhile incorporating in the Beaufighter 21. The White Elepahant as she was knopwn at DAP was also used to test other mods that were proposed for local production. It is also interesting to note that it was fitted with the early style 'streamlined' observer's cupola rather than the truncated of framed type usually seen on Mk.X aircraft.

Lastly, I think that LX815 was camouflaged after transfer back to the RAAF in 1945. This photo, (supplied by Roger Lambert), shows it awaiting wrecking post war.

A19-218_03_zpslwnag0yj.jpg

Peter M

• Like 3

I think the foundations for the fixation with British Built Beaufighter's being in Dark Earth /Dark Green over Sky goes back to the plethora of books by Geoffrey Pentland , I have about a dozen of his books and in every one he states about the Beau's being in the TLS scheme, these books were the bible of RAAF markings since the late 60's and are fantastic books but we now know that some information is wrong, he never had the internet like today to see and compare vast amounts of information in a short time. I think this thread has sorted out the myth of the all TLS scheme , the Beaufighter scheme is still a minefield with individual aircraft schemes being unable to be confirmed apart from a few examples, the vast majority were in the Two tone TSS scheme with some in the late single colour TSS scheme and maybe 1/4 to a 1/3 either originally or painted into the TLS scheme , together with 31 Sqn's own "variations".  

Edited by Sydhuey
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hornet133 said:

Thanks to Biggles, Sydhuey and Magpie22 for this thread. It has cleared up much of the mystery surrounding Oz Beaufighter colours and is invaluable.

Here, here,.....totally agree.

• Like 1

I agree with Biggles that the camouflage applied to RAAF Beaufighters is a veritable minefield. However, I would like to share a few of my thoughts on early RAAF Beaufighter Mk.Ic camouflage.  I have been researching RAAF Beaufighters for some time and the early Mk.Ic aircraft are the easiest to understand. My comments below apply only to delivery, and early operational, schemes. During their service many were repainted, either because of general wear and tear, or major repairs and overhaul.

Sydhuey has stated that the first 54 RAAF Beaufighters were probably finished in the RAF Temperate Land Scheme, (TLS). He was close but not, in my opinion, 100% correct. I believe that no RAAF Beaufighters were finished in the RAF TLS. These early aircraft were supplied to an Australian order and the RAAF was not bound by RAF camouflage instructions. All talk about them being in TLS is meaningless for the initial order.

It is quite clear that the RAAF specified the camouflage and markings to be applied to the aircraft Australia bought in the UK. (Ignore types like the Oxford, Battle, Tiger Moth and Anson as the UK supplied these under the EATS Scheme. They were transferred from the RAF and retained that service’s camouflage and markings).

The initial order for 54 Beaufighters was placed in May 1941, and an order for 48 Spitfire VC aircraft placed a year later. Delivery of the Beaufighters started in March 1942 and the Spitfires in June 1942. The 54 Beaufighters were intended to equip two squadrons, each with 12 aircraft Immediate Equipment and 6 aircraft Immediate Reserve, a Flight at an OTU, (6 I.E. and 1 I.R.), and the remainder as an attrition reserve. (Interestingly, the initial Spitfire order only allowed for 3 squadrons of 16 aircraft, (12 I.E. and 4 IR): there was no allowance for attrition in the initial order, this would be covered by later orders).

The RAAF specifications from late 1941 called for fighter aircraft to be camouflaged in K3/177 Foliage Green and K3/178 Earth Brown on the upper surfaces and K3/195 Sky Blue on the lower surfaces. Clearly, these paints were not available in the UK but, (as happened with aircraft ordered by the UK from the USA), local equivalents were acceptable. Dark Green and Dark Earth were acceptable for the upper surfaces and the Sky Blue in the MAP colours was to all intents and purposes identical to the RAAF colour. These are the colours that I believe were used on initial deliveries of both the Beaufighter and Spitfire VC. National markings at his time were to be Red/Blue roundels on the upper wing surfaces, Red/White/Blue roundels on the lower wing surfaces, a Red/White/Blue/Yellow roundel on the fuselage sides, and a Red/White/Blue fin flash. RAAF stores identity, (serial), was to be in Grey.

All the RAAF’s Beaufighter Mk.Ic aircraft were built at Fairey. The first 54 were as follows:

RAF Serial Block               To RAAF                               RAAF ‘Serial’     

T4915–T4947                      T4920-T4931                       A19-1   to -12

T4943-T4947                       A19-13 to -17

T4970-T5007                       T4970-T4978                       A19-18 to -26

T4991-T5004                       A19-27 to -40

T5027–T5055                      T5047-T5055                       A19-41 to -49

T5070-T5099                       T5070-T5074                       A19-50 to -54

During the course of 1942, the RAAF increased the size of its fighter squadrons to 24 aircraft, (I.E. and I.R.). Accordingly, the RAAF increased its order by another 18 aircraft, 12 to bring each squadron up to 24 and the remaining six for attrition reserve.  The RAF serials of these aircraft followed on from those above, but the numerical sequencing of the RAAF serials with the RAF serials no longer applied. They were:

T5075    A19-63

T5076    A19-55

T5077    A19-61

T5081    A19-56

T5082    A19-64

T5083    A19-57

T5084    A19-58

T5086    A19-71

T5089    A19-62

T5090    A19-59

T5091    A19-60

T5092    A19-72

T5093    A19-66

T5094    A19-65

T5095    A19-67

T5097    A19-68

T5098    A19-70

T5099    A19-69

Photos show that Fairey built Mk. Ic aircraft were being finished in the RAF Temperate Sea Scheme, (TSS), at this time.

T4916_zpslrzeffop.jpg

T4916, clearly in the TSS, was in the same block, (T4915 to T4947), as the first 17 aircraft for the RAAF.

T5039_01_zpsoatqhe2a.jpg

Another Fairey Beaufighter Mk.Ic, T5039, also in the TSS. This aircraft was just one ahead of the 55th RAAF aircraft. It went to the Middle East and appears to have the Azure Blue under surfaces referred to by Nick Millman in an earlier post.

The serials of the first 54 RAAF aircraft fall in blocks in the Fairey production run. Because of this, it is possible that they were painted when at Fairey. It is also possible that Fairey applied the TSS to all its aircraft and those earmarked for the RAAF were over painted later at an RAF Maintenance Unit.

The later batch consisted of singletons and this would suggest that the aircraft may have already exited the production line finished in the TSS, and were with a receiving RAF MU when transferred to the RAAF. Consequently, they were not re-painted before shipping to Australia, as they were urgently required.

Australian representatives in the UK accepted the Beaufighters before they were broken down for shipment to Australia. Depending on where the ship docked, they were re-assembled at No. 1 AD, Laverton, near Melbourne and No. 2 AD, Richmond, near Sydney. The aircraft were not repainted before being issued on to units. Photos show quite clearly where the paint has been touched up where the rear fuselage was re-attached to the main unit. An interesting point is that all the first 54 aircraft carry a Black RAAF stores identity in the same stlyle, irrespective of which AD erected them. This indicates that the stores identity may have been applied in the UK before they were shipped to Australia.

A19-001_01_zpsxqvi7gp8.jpg

A19-001_02_zpsn1w72f3m.jpg

Two shots of A19-1 taken in May 1942, shortly after erection by No. 2 AD. It was not the first Beaufighter received by the RAAF. That honour went to A19-7 and -8, which had been received at No.1 AD four weeks earlier. A strong indication that it was not re-painted after receipt is the different tone of the tape applied over the main to rear fuselage join after erection. If it had been re-painted locally, that tape would have been over painted. It carries the Yellow surround to the roundel, which was still required at this time. Upper wing roundels would have been Red/Blue.

A19-010_01_zpsfuovr1hr.jpg

A19-10 of No. 30 Squadron at Bohle River, near Townsville, in late August 1942. The Yellow surround to the fuselage roundel has been removed and the Red on the upper wing roundels would have been over-painted in White. The fin flash and under wing roundels remained Red/White/Blue. In mid September, at about the time the squadron moved to new Guinea, the Red would have been removed from the under wing and fuselage roundels.

Based on my photo collection, it would appear that aircraft up to A19-54 were painted in the brown/green scheme. From A19-55 on, aircraft appear to be finished in the TSS scheme. There appears to have been no attempt by the RAAF to change the arrival scheme before the aircraft were issued on to units. Both Nos 30 and 31 Squadrons operated aircraft in both schemes.

I have not even attempted to comment on the MK.VI, Mk. IX and Mk.X aircraft. That is a very complicated subject, and I feel that I still have a way to go before I am happy with my research in that area.

Finally, a few words on Syd’s comments re Geoff Pentland’s books. My friends are well aware that I am no Pentland fan. In fact, Pentland’s and my last words to each other were delivered by our respective lawyers. However, we must give credit where it is due. Pentland started researching and publishing books about Australian military aviation long before any mainstream publishers would touch the topic. Certainly, there are many errors and we have learned a good deal more since.

As Syd pointed out we did

n’t have the benefit of the internet in those days. Back in the 1960’s, there were really only two places to research military aviation. The first was the AWM which had a small collection of photos and some duplicate copies of squadron A.50s. Access was very restricted to preserve the material. The main repository at the time was the RAAF’s Historical Sub Branch. They held all the RAAF Official photos, (most in negative format only), and the various RAAF records that had been forwarded to them. This area, which in the early days was housed in rooms above a shopping centre in Manuka, Canberra, was a veritable goldmine, but any filing system was nonexistent. Later it was moved to the Russell Offices and became better staffed, better organised, and had a bit more space.

One significant problem remained. It was part of the RAAF, and clearance was difficult to obtain for civilians. I was luckier than most as I worked for the Defence department at the time and had the necessary security clearances. Even so, there were many problems as quite a large number of files remained classified and, although I could read them, I could not copy from them or use the material I had read! Anyway, there were no copying machines available then! I do remember laboriously copying such basic information as ‘status cards, by pencil.

The National Archives of Australia came on to the scene in the late 1960s and took over most of the Historical Sub section’s records. By the late 1980s even more files were starting to become available as they were declassified under the ’50 year rule’. Even then there were still difficulties. You had to notify several weeks ahead of time of the files you wished to revue, and you were only allowed paper and a pencil to record notes. Only very limited, (and expensive), copying facilities were available in the early days.

Now we can easily access much of that info via the internet and the archives staff are much more helpful. Now, we can accomplish in a matter of minutes what it took us days to do back then. I think the amazing thing is that Pentland managed to uncover as much information as he did!!

Peter Malone

Edited by Magpie22
To correct layout
  • Like 9

Thanks Peter, that rounded it off nicely, that amazing footage of the Beaufighter's at Milne Bay, topped it off for me and give excellent colour matching, only real grey area for me is the lower colour Sky (Type S) or Sky Blue who knows, The Boston's operated by 22 had the Sky  (Type S) but did have touch-ups in Sky Blue as 30 and 22 both used the same MU and 31 Sqn supposedly used Sky Blue on "Their" scheme, the Beaufighter's are such a huge minefield and to be honest anyone's logical interpretation of a models paint scheme could be correct.  

Edited by Sydhuey
  • Like 1

Hiya Folks,

Just to put things in perspective and in case it is of interest, here is a 1943 film about the RAAF in New Guinea;

Hi All,

Here is a picture of T4924/A19-5 of 30 Sqn RAAF, as captured by F J Halmarick on 20 July 1942 at Richmond, New South Wales, Australia.

33668601813_f25c0ef4e0_o.jpg

Plus T4916 of 235 Sqn RAF as captured by ? on ? at ?, England.

34437218286_dda6b18ee9_o.jpg

Cheers,

Daniel.

• Like 1

Something I just found in my Beaufighter notes, an interview with CPL Elton Marsden Fitter IIA (Airframe Fitter) 30 Sqn , this throws a bit of variation on the theme but still refers to the TLS scheme on at least the first batch, and the colour film from Milne Bay confirms them. The first batch may have arrived in pale grey primer?

Elton Marsden - Fitter IIA.

I arrived at Richmond on December 6, 1941 when I was posted to No 2 Aircraft Depot and in June 1942, I was helping to re-skin the bottom of a Seagull but never finished the job being told to report to 30 Squadron at Hanger 5 where I found A19-3 waiting for me. It had been assembled in Melbourne and flown up to Richmond. The aircraft was painted seagull grey all over and there was some conjecture about what was going to happen as far as the colour was concerned.

Anyway somebody came to light with a drawing showing the camouflage pattern and colours with duck-egg blue underneath and olive green and brown the upper surfaces. We marked out the pattern in chalk and then applied paint according to the drawing. We had to remove the red circle from the RAF roundels in order to avoid confusion with insignia used by the Japanese.

Although we opened the hanger doors and got as much ventilation as possible, we nearly choked ourselves while we were doing the spray painting. The security people weren’t happy because there was supposed to be a blackout but we were still working at around 10 o’clock at night with the lights blazing and the doors open. We got all the Beaufighters done and little did I know that A19-3 the first aircraft I helped to paint would be my aeroplane.

Edited by Sydhuey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, stevehnz said:

I'm seeing TSS on LA-T, I think. :unsure::) Nice pair of photos.

Steve.

Steve , I read on another forum this photo was taken after an overhaul and repaint but without dates who knows.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sydhuey said:

Steve , I read on another forum this photo was taken after an overhaul and repaint but without dates who knows.

Quite the researchers nightmare when that is the case I'd imagine.

Steve.

2 hours ago, Sydhuey said:

Elton Marsden - Fitter IIA.

I arrived at Richmond on December 6, 1941 when I was posted to No 2 Aircraft Depot and in June 1942, I was helping to re-skin the bottom of a Seagull but never finished the job being told to report to 30 Squadron at Hanger 5 where I found A19-3 waiting for me. It had been assembled in Melbourne and flown up to Richmond. The aircraft was painted seagull grey all over and there was some conjecture about what was going to happen as far as the colour was concerned.

Anyway somebody came to light with a drawing showing the camouflage pattern and colours with duck-egg blue underneath and olive green and brown the upper surfaces. We marked out the pattern in chalk and then applied paint according to the drawing. We had to remove the red circle from the RAF roundels in order to avoid confusion with insignia used by the Japanese.

Although we opened the hanger doors and got as much ventilation as possible, we nearly choked ourselves while we were doing the spray painting. The security people weren’t happy because there was supposed to be a blackout but we were still working at around 10 o’clock at night with the lights blazing and the doors open. We got all the Beaufighters done and little did I know that A19-3 the first aircraft I helped to paint would be my aeroplane.

All Bristol Beaufighter, Douglas Boston and Avro Anson aircraft as captured by Sydney Morning Herald photographer, F J Halmarick on 20 July 1942 at Richmond, feature the red circle in the national marking roundels on under wing surfaces and fuselages.

Elton Marsden's  recollections at least with respect to marking modifications are erroneous in light of the fact that all 19 of Halmarick's negatives and the 2 envelopes they came, all show 20 July 1942 as the capture date ("20th July 1942" on the envelopes and "20.7.42" on the negatives).

Yep , I have Boston's still in Aust in Oct 42 with red in the roundels (NG machines where white but not Aust machines), Daniel do any of the shots show the top wing ? and if you do, did it have the Type B Red/Blue roundel or Type A Red/White/Blue like the underwing. 

If anyone is wondering what's going on with the tail of T4924/A19-5, the following from NAA: A705, 150/4/2111 Technical Order - Publication of Beaufighter - Instruction No 6 will explain.

33637685954_2f6211c2e7_o.jpg

33 minutes ago, Sydhuey said:

Yep , I have Boston's still in Aust in Oct 42 with red in the roundels (NG machines where white but not Aust machines), Daniel do any of the shots show the top wing ? and if you do, did it have the Type B Red/Blue roundel or Type A Red/White/Blue like the underwing. 

Type B and Type A (only the Anson top wings are visible) with as it turns out one instance of an Anson with the red removed from the top wing, yet it retains the red white and blue fin flash.

Its a bit of a Grey area from Jul 42 till the end of the year with machines in NG with Blue/White upper roundels but some retaining red dots on fuselage, underwing and fin flash initially to machines in Aust with Type A, Type B and Blue/White upper wing roundels. Upper wings are quite hard to find so few photo's of them. I have Boston pics of A28-18 belly landed at Rockhampton in Sept 42 with blue/white upper roundel (was on way to NG) while A28-19 which crashed at Woodford in Oct 42 still had Type B upper wing roundel (was being used for training).

Well I just received the book Airframe Album #14 The Bristol Beaufighter, a detailed Guide to Bristol's Hard-hitting Twin by Richard A. Franks, I have a few of these books and like them a lot but ..................

Wasn't I surprised when I got to page 149 to 152, on Beaufighter markings in Australian service to find almost the contents of this thread in the book with the core of the section incredibly similar to what I wrote in the first post at the start of this thread, I don't mind the fact it was used it's on public domain but this is the third time script I have written has been copied to books/magazines without acknowledgment were it came from, US Author William Wolf copied almost word for word the text I wrote on Australian Bostons on The ADF Serials web site into his book on A-20 Boston/Havoc's, a Boston article in an aircraft Magazine was a copy of my work and now this on Australian Beaufighter markings , as I said I don't mind the fact it was used but the lack of acknowledgement that almost the entire contents of the section came from this thread on Britmodeller got me slightly peeved!    

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

Welcome to the club, Syd. The same has happened to me. We post on forums like this, giving information for free, hoping to help others, but then someone steals it and makes money from it. I'm sure its happened to more than you and me. At least I know now that I won't need to buy the book. 

Peter M

• Like 3

On 4/26/2017 at 8:10 AM, Biggles81 said:

Finally I believe this aircraft is A19-218,

Kinda off-topic, but that bare metal Beau in the foreground- is that the one that was fitted with P&W R-2800 engines? IIRC it had the elongated nacelles as seen in the photo. I would make a very interesting modeling conversion project. I have enjoyed reading all of the posted material in this thread and have learned a lot about Aussie Beaus- that's what makes this site THE one for serious modelers and enthusiasts!

Mike