Hasegawa B-17G 1/72 "Sleepy Time Gal"

So I know the newer B-17s from Airfix and Revell are much more detailed but I do like the Hasegawa B-17, sometimes its refreshing to not have to spend hours and hours on the interior nobody can see :)

I also don't mind the raised panel lines, it goes together easily without any fuss and looks pretty good shape wise to my eyes. That said, the gun barrels are not the best compared to more modern kits, I might go after market if I make another one. Really enjoyed building it though, I might have over done it on weathering a bit but thought I would try out some new techniques with the airbrush in preparation for the Airfix B-17. Painted with Vallejo model air paints.

20170421_073110.jpg

20170420_220632.jpg

20170420_220655.jpg

20170420_220715.jpg

20170421_073055.jpg

20170423_142919.jpg

• Like 45

I like this B-17 of yours!

Weathering is just fine and you've achieved a great paint job.

For one, I am not a fan of raised panel lines, but I am rather sure I would balk at the idea of having to re-scribe something as big as a B-17...

You've built a very nice model! Congrats.

JR

• Thanks 1

Really nice job there!

I have built the Hasegawa B-17 too (the F-version in my case) and I concur with what you say about it.

It is a nice, straightforward kit and does not particularly suffer for having less interior detail than the latest offerings.

The raised panel lines don't phase me either - they are low-key enough to give the effect of the real aircraft's rivet lines.

Great work!

:clap2:

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Very nice job on the B-17, and as others have said the weathering looks fine.  I also agree with you in that there is no need to spend time on an interior that no one can see.  I like how the new Airfix Wellington kit's instructions make note of this and lets the builder decide what to include, or what not to.

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

Very nice!  I, too, have built the Hasegawa kit - the older boxing with the 'Bit o' Lace' box art - and it is an uncomplicated satisfying build once you have accepted that the staggered waist guns and later tail gun limits your decal options to later B-17G types (block 50 onwards?).

• Thanks 1

Very nice fortress! The paint & weathering is just spot on! I’m tempted to start my 1/48 Monogram kit! Strange fact & a pitty that we do not see enough of this sky legend!

You made it justice my friend.

Frank

• Thanks 1

Nice Fort, just not enough weathering :clap2: You should look at pics of other Forts from the Bomb Group.

There were a number of Forts from different production blocks and Bomb Groups called "Sleepy Time Gal".

• Thanks 1