1/48 Kittyhawk Sukhoi Su-17 M4 Fitter-K

On 24 May 2017 at 8:22 PM, DDELK said:

Nice F-4 by the way.. I love building phantoms, I just HATE HATE all the damn stencils..lol..

Ian, 

As you know, I'm also working on the fitter.. I joined the first two front sections of each side of the fuselage together. The third rear section didn't seem to mate up as easily, so I thought I would join them up once i got the two halves joined. Did you also find the third section to be a bit more tough. I'm sure if I placed a little weight on it, it would probably join up.. Anyways, I'm just rambling on..lol.. The wind kind of got taken out of my sails once I got the word about going bare metal color. I just love the camo on yours and even showed it to the buyer but he still didn't waiver in his decision about the paint(damn) I'm going to do some heavy weathering to at least give the bare metal some character.. I always love getting the updates on your build and can't wait to see the weapons on it..

dave

I did have a similar problem on just one side. As you say, a small weight was enough to "squash" it to the right shape.

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Great work Ian, the Fitter is looking fantastic, I think your pre and post shading of the camo scheme has really worked well.

I Liked your Phantom build earlier and it looks like the Fitter is going to turn out at least as good if not better.

13 hours ago, matteo44 said:

Nice job!

:clap:

On 24 May 2017 at 9:28 PM, Hewy said:

I reckon what you did on the f4 will work a treat on this ian ,by the way it looks like a  real nice fitter to me 

Glynn

Thank you guys.

• Like 1

:blink2: Wow... I was just released from gaol on a public disturbance charge for having gone out yelling outloud that my HAD 1/48 shock cone replacement for the Kitty Hawk Fitter kit had already arrived in the country...

I'm yet to fetch it from Customs. :rolleyes: But that'll have to wait 'til Monday now.

• Like 1

Got the decals applied, and there are more on there than it looks. Quite a few stencils, which are a translucent yellow/green, so they don't show up very well. At least they don't need blending in.
I'll let them set, and then it'll cracking on with the weathering.

34841779156_2b4922b8e1.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34494962630_8b37c8a37a.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34749799351_3760870170.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 7

Looks great Ian, those nice red stars stand out really well on the camo.

Quick question for you, on the box the kit is labelled as an M3/M4 (I know you are building yours as an M4) but from what I can see of the sprues it does not contain the different size rear fuselage that the M3 has, have I missed it or is the kit just an M4?

Craig.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Quick question for you, on the box the kit is labelled as an M3/M4 (I know you are building yours as an M4) but from what I can see of the sprues it does not contain the different size rear fuselage that the M3 has, have I missed it or is the kit just an M4?

Craig.

Thank you Craig.

The kit only has one size of fuselage, and the spine is separate, in 3 pieces. The rear section, were it joins the base of the tail fin, has 2 options. One for the M3, and one for the M4 (with air scoop).  That's seems to be all the options there are.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Wee Beastie said:

Thank you Craig.

The kit only has one size of fuselage, and the spine is separate, in 3 pieces. The rear section, were it joins the base of the tail fin, has 2 options. One for the M3, and one for the M4 (with air scoop).  That's seems to be all the options there are.

Thanks for answering Ian, looks like you can only build an M4 from the kit then as there are more differences than the air scoop at the base of the fin, pity as I like some M3 specific schemes.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks for answering Ian, looks like you can only build an M4 from the kit then as there are more differences than the air scoop at the base of the fin, pity as I like some M3 specific schemes.

Yes, I know there's more differences, not covered in the kit. Not making any excuses for Kittyhawk, but so far I can't recall other modellers building the M3 version (although I'm sure there are M3's being built).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wee Beastie said:

Yes, I know there's more differences, not covered in the kit. Not making any excuses for Kittyhawk, but so far I can't recall other modellers building the M3 version (although I'm sure there are M3's being built).

I'm sure there are M3's being built from this kit, just as there were M3's built from the old Kopro kit. I just wish that manufacturers would label their kits correctly (and Kittyhawk are not alone in this) as I'm sure there will be a few disappointed modellers who having spent their (not inconsiderable amount) of cash on what they think can be an M3 find out that it cannot be built as one. There really is no excuse these days for such an error. 

• Like 2

The decals have been sealed with some Alclad Aqua Gloss, then a wash with UMP's Dark Dirt. 
A couple of misted coats of matt, and I can now start the weathering. I'll be using a mixture of Humbrol's Weathering Powder, and Tamiya's Weathering system.
Photo's 1-4 show some of the surface detail picked out by the wash.
Photo 5 shows a start on the weathering on the underside.

34561141960_b02acd16b1.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34105218654_03fe273b72.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34105221654_a5b15468c6.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on FlickrUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34784748592_4478dcea79.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34784741292_0628a7b349.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

Edited by Wee Beastie
  • Like 7

On 5/28/2017 at 6:21 PM, modelling minion said:

Craig.

You can build a Su-17M3 I guess! It has the same engine as the M4 (and the Su-22M4). Only the heat exchanger intake in front of the fin is a giveaway normally!

Nice decal and wash by the way!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

Wow! I think you've just put all the doubters and nay-sayers back in their boxes, that is absolutely stunning 😍

Eng

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eng said:

Wow! I think you've just put all the doubters and nay-sayers back in their boxes, that is absolutely stunning 😍

Eng

Almost completely agree, however this kit cannot be built 100% out of the box to this standard, as the resin nosecone had to be used to overcome the shortcomings of the kit.

Nevertheless the quality of this build is second to none

Les

• Like 1