1/48 Kittyhawk Sukhoi Su-17 M4 Fitter-K

Welcome to the Kittyhawk Fitter nose-job!
The HAD Models resin corrected Mach-cone has arrived. This is a superb piece of casting. Crisp detail, and needs no trimming, or sanding.
So on with the task of fitting it.
I found it easier to remove the locating pegs and locating holes, from the intake area. It also cleans up the intake in the process.
Using a piece of white-tack, I pressed the nose into it, so it's held in position.
Then I adjusted it to get the right alignment, dry fit the other fuselage half, and a final adjustment.
Remove the fuselage half, spot some medium Zap onto the rear of the nose, where it meets the intake walls. Let it set, then run some more Zap along the join.
Hey presto, it fits!! :)

33736801984_49effed444.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33769581023_0d155b2816.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33764557784_92f2592f1b.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34477145931_e7778b635c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34477145871_b25865c203.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34566189996_c7ba019eee.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 4

On 12 May 2017 at 9:07 AM, Flyingdutchman said:

Well that's a very well made investment for some resin. It looks like it fits like a glove!!

Evert

Thanks you Evert.

Yes the fit is brilliant. HAD Models have certainly made a superb piece of resin here. I've used some of there stuff before, and the quality is very good.

Having got the Mach-cone, cockpit, and engine installed, the fuselage halves have been brought together. The fit is pretty good, with not much filling required. All the remaining "lumps, bumps, and pointy things" are now fitted.
So now it looks a lot like primer time! :)

33849532364_bbbbc3c690.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34651507946_f25419880a.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 3

Looks good. I just received my fitter in the mail and I was really pleased with the quality of detail. Most of all, I love all the weapons to choose from.. I've been told that the swing wings fit so good that you don't even really need to glue them in place. Was that the case with yours? 

Thanks

dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DDELK said:

Looks good. I just received my fitter in the mail and I was really pleased with the quality of detail. Most of all, I love all the weapons to choose from.. I've been told that the swing wings fit so good that you don't even really need to glue them in place. Was that the case with yours? 

Thanks

dave

Thank you, Dave.  Glad to hear yours has arrived. 

This what I did with my wings. You'll notice I cut a slot, and opened up the locating hole. This means can push-fit the swing wings after assembly. It'll make make masking and painting easier. 

33606741374_17955563bb_b.jpg

Edited by Wee Beastie
  • Like 3

How will you solve the missing racks? Will it be a variant with the KKR?

2 hours ago, DDELK said:

Most of all, I love all the weapons to choose from..

I do not know, but these weapons are laughing. And at least 1/2 is unusable on Su-17!

26 minutes ago, harvy5 said:

I do not know, but these weapons are laughing. And at least 1/2 is unusable on Su-17!

You have a real issue with my build, don't you!

Take it up with Kittyhawk, not with me. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, harvy5 said:

sure they are usable weapons,, you just glue them on!! 

Dave

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DDELK said:

sure they are usable weapons,, you just glue them on!! 

Dave

Bad dimensions and shapes, OK it could be accepted for you. But where's the target pods for the missiles? Su-17 / 22M-3/4 has integrated only the KLEN-54 laser targeting system. Its for Kh-25ML,Kh-29L.For other missiles must have a marker pods

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, harvy5 said:

Bad dimensions and shapes, OK it could be accepted for you. But where's the target pods for the missiles? Su-17 / 22M-3/4 has integrated only the KLEN-54 laser targeting system. Its for Kh-25ML,Kh-29L.For other missiles must have a marker pods

I thought modeling was supposed to be enjoyable.. at the end of the day, if it looks like a SU-17 I think that's all that really matters. I like accuracy as well as the next guy but really man.,, just sit back relax and enjoy the build!! 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, DDELK said:

I thought modeling was supposed to be enjoyable.. at the end of the day, if it looks like a SU-17 I think that's all that really matters. I like accuracy as well as the next guy but really man.,, just sit back relax and enjoy the build!! 

OK, I'm probably weird, but I like reality. In Bagram I'm from US wepons man heard enough criticism for bad data pods  :) I'm build F-16C block 55 from Okinawa ...

Yes I'm stupid idiot from AF and for mi is Accuracy Accuracy! Now I'm working on the line as a technician for the A-32x family, I do not look details?

Edited by harvy5
  • Like 2

Very nice Ian! I like the clever idea of attaching the wing by cutting the locating hole.

The painting progress has begun! Is that a bit of a metallic color or grey? How's Hataka spraying?

Evert

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flyingdutchman said:

Very nice Ian! I like the clever idea of attaching the wing by cutting the locating hole.

The painting progress has begun! Is that a bit of a metallic color or grey? How's Hataka spraying?

Evert

Thank you Evert. 

The wing idea I stole from Spencer Pollards YouTube build. Very simple, but it'll make masking and painting much easier. 

The paint is their Light Blue RLM65, and they spray really well. I've used UMP thinner in the past, but I tried Hataka's own thinner time. Sprays even better. :)

1 hour ago, DDELK said:

Looking good, it's always nice to get some paint sprayed. Makes it feel like progress is being made..

Dave🇺🇸

Thanks Dave. 

Yep, makes you feel like you're almost in the final stretch. 

6 minutes ago, Remy said:

Looking really nice! You almost got me tempted to buy a model from Kitty Hawk!

Really looking forward to the painting stage! 

Remy.

Thanks Remy.

Go on, get the KH Fitter.....you know you want to. ;)

• Like 2

That's the first two camo shades airbrushed. 
I had to use Vallejo's Burnt Umber, for the dark brown. The Hataka colour I had planned to use was not dark enough. 
The other colour is Hataka's Sand-Yellow (RLM-79).
The greens will be Hataka's Field Green and Dark Green.
These have been applied over a UMP black primer, marbled with a light grey.

34617960541_ea95ee2efc.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33907313694_55a3202296.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 4

I love it!! Great technique on the painting, I will keep that in mind.. I got to work on mine a couple days ago.. no complaints so far except I can't stand how the sprue gates are connected to the pieces.. the detail on this kit is amazing..

keep up up the good work..

dave

• Like 1