1/48 Kittyhawk Sukhoi Su-17 M4 Fitter-K

11 hours ago, Wee Beastie said:

Thank you, and yes, I'm doing the Blue 23 scheme.

UUPS a problem! So they had Su-17M-4  with "OLD" K-36DM-1  and 4 single ASO-2V under the engine in the nozzle area.

Edited by harvy5
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hewy said:

I like the way you've gone about the fuselage ian that looks to be a better method ,i shall

Utilise that when i build this,its moving along very well,

Glynn

Thanks Glynn. I used this method on my recent KH Jaguar build. That fuselage is in 4 parts.

It's also suggested in Spencer Pollard's YouTube build.  If you're going to build the KH Su-17, then I can recommend it.

He takes a very common sense approach to the build, mentions some d the issues, but doesn't slag it off, like some have done.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wee Beastie said:

Thanks Glynn. I used this method on my recent KH Jaguar build. That fuselage is in 4 parts.

It's also suggested in Spencer Pollard's YouTube build.  If you're going to build the KH Su-17, then I can recommend it.

He takes a very common sense approach to the build, mentions some d the issues, but doesn't slag it off, like some have done.

I've got the kitty hawk etendard Ivp kit that's a split fuselage affair too, it's a handy way to model different types of the same aircraft isn't it, 

Glynn

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wee Beastie said:

The seat is what came with the kit, and without looking, I don't know if the ASO dispensers (whatever they are) are included in the kit.

seat belts were of this type and orange colors

http://Tmp133_zpsdmlvoth9.jpg

http://scan0006_zps04drymot.jpg

• Like 2

Now juggling different sections of this build at once. So a bit of a lengthy update.
-Bombs are sprayed & glossed, ready for decals.
-Pylons black primed.
-Wing sections are started, and I've had a couple ideas I'm trying out. 
-Firstly, as shown, is the way I've fitted the Master gun barrels. I cemented the cannon, and cut off the required amount. I used some rolled up Tamiya tape as a tube, and fitted the metal barrel into the front.
-Secondly, the wing wheel bays are very shallow, so I used pieces of plastic bags, cut to the shape of the bay. These were sandwiched in between the top and bottom sections of the wings, instant mask, and can be cut/pulled out at the end of the build.
-Lastly, the airbrakes are fitted, in the closed position. Fit is not great, as KH want you build them in open position. So the Vallejo plastic putty got another outing.

33980905180_93b6c420e3.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33554632183_ec5b306e31.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 3

I just got a request to build this as a commission build. I talked the buyer into going for this new KH kit and I only hope I didn't shoot my self in the foot. SO many mixed reviews but it happening none the less..lol.. I will definitely follow this build as I go along. If anyone knows how to download photos from FLICKER( via iPhone) I will definitely do a WIP but I haven't figured how to download them. In the meantime I will surely follow this one. Great work so far!!

dave

• Like 1

Very nice update again Ian, those pitot tubes look great! Definiately better than any kit pitot.

4 hours ago, DDELK said:

I just got a request to build this as a commission build. I talked the buyer into going for this new KH kit and I only hope I didn't shoot my self in the foot. SO many mixed reviews but it happening none the less..lol.. I will definitely follow this build as I go along. If anyone knows how to download photos from FLICKER( via iPhone) I will definitely do a WIP but I haven't figured how to download them. In the meantime I will surely follow this one. Great work so far!!

dave

Hi Dave, sometimes you can just download them by holding your finger on the picture (assuming your on the phone) then you get a menu 'save image'. If not you'll have to take a screencap.

Cheers Evert

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DDELK said:

dave

TBH Dave, I'm finding this build quite enjoyable. I would also recommend the Spencer Pollard YouTube videos (there's a link in a previous post). 

As for the Flicker question, I use my iMac. Can't use the iPhone for it, and you can't copy the img code on the iPad.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have, just PM me.

Cheers.

After having a second look through your post ian,i read you intend using hataka paints,have you used them before? If you have and your happy with them fair do's, 

I personaly found them to be the worst paints  out there, far too thin,even with very very littlle of thier own thinners,and i couldnd get a steady spay coming through the air brush with a 3.5 needle, constant skinning on the tip and in tbe cup ,more like bathroom ceiling paint I'd say, even the smell,please don't misunderstanding me,  your paint,your model ,exellent work wouldn't want to see it go belly up ,all the best

Glynn

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hewy said:

After having a second look through your post ian,i read you intend using hataka paints,have you used them before? If you have and your happy with them fair do's, 

I personaly found them to be the worst paints  out there, far too thin,even with very very littlle of thier own thinners,and i couldnd get a steady spay coming through the air brush with a 3.5 needle, constant skinning on the tip and in tbe cup ,more like bathroom ceiling paint I'd say, even the smell,please don't misunderstanding me,  your paint,your model ,exellent work wouldn't want to see it go belly up ,all the best

Glynn

Hi Glynn

Yes I'm happy with Hataka's paints. I know their old formula paints were terrible. The new formula paints (produced mid-late 2016), are a huge improvement. They spray very well, and give a good finish. I've used their thinner, and Vallejo's and UMP's thinner too, and they seem OK.

I know of other modellers using the newer paints, without issues too.

If you've any issues with Hataka's paints, contact them, they're very helpful, and would be able to tell you if you've got the older paint, or the newer.

Hope this is of help.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

The wings went together very well. Flaps needed some work, to remove the moulded struts from inside, so that the flaps sit flush to the wing. This is a result of Kittyhawk's insistence that you assemble the wings with the flaps drooped. Photos of the Fitter I've found, seem to show the control surfaces flush to the wing, when parked on the flight-line.
A nice touch is that there are complete canons included, not just a barrel sticking out of the wings leading edge. Access panels can be opened if desired. I kept them closed. The ends of the barrels were removed, and the Master Model brass barrels have been fitted.
The movable part of the wing is located with a peg in the main wing, that goes through a hole in the movable section. To make masking and painting easier, I cut a slot from that hole, so that the wing can pushed into place at the end of the build.

34284374362_f27cbe2e83.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33606741374_17955563bb.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34313499051_70d13c4628.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

Some good news, my resin mach-cone is on its way from HAD Models, yay! smile.gif
The fuselage has been dry fitted, with the wings, tail, and spine. Now it's starting to look like a Fitter!
I've also painted, and weathered, all the weapons and tanks that will hang underneath.
Overall, I'm still enjoying this build. What IS all the fuss about?

33707379133_a8c97134d9.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr 

33707379313_b134a5aa75.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34517900065_6d114f9074.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34517900055_45bba72c1b.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr
  • Like 4

On 11/05/2017 at 05:36, Wee Beastie said:

Some good news, my resin mach-cone is on its way from HAD Models, yay! smile.gif
The fuselage has been dry fitted, with the wings, tail, and spine. Now it's starting to look like a Fitter!
I've also painted, and weathered, all the weapons and tanks that will hang underneath.
Overall, I'm still enjoying this build. What IS all the fuss about?

Untitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr 

Two warnings. Su-17 could have ONLY one type of bomb and drop tanks were from the top in a light brown or all surface in aluminum color

52 minutes ago, harvy5 said:

Two warnings. Su-17 could have ONLY one type of bomb and drop tanks were from the top in a light brown or all surface in aluminum color

REALLY? THANK YOU!

This is second time that you've criticised my build. Could you please refrain.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Edited by Wee Beastie

58 minutes ago, Wee Beastie said:

REALLY? THANK YOU!

This is second time that you've criticised my build. Could you please refrain.

Thank you for your co-operation.

This is not criticism, just a warning as it was in real.