1/48 Kittyhawk Sukhoi Su-17 M4 Fitter-K

This will be my next build, Kittyhawk's 1/48 Sukhoi Su-17 M4 Fitter K, belonging to the 274th APIB, 1998.
Will be built largely OOB, but will use Master Model's pitot/antenna set, and an Armoury resin multiple bomb rack (something not supplied in the kit). I also have a HAD Models corrected mach-cone on pre-order too.
I intend to use 
Hataka paints for the camouflage.  
The kits surface details look very good, and there are a lot of parts, plus a huge selection of weapons to hang off the pylons.
PLEASE NOTE - I am well aware of the bad press this kit has received. Frankly I don't care......I will build it, and it will be good!!

33174620754_1405174f5b.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33860498082_38aee49f08.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33205217303_14be84fc77.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33205220793_f1833d423c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33174622484_cdb78e417e.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33860499792_0c52bac698.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33205219123_bf043591c9.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33860501162_8c56760169.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 12

Well.... I might as well scratch another one off my list that I can't do better! :hanging:I still haven't started my Su-33!

Seriously, can't wait to see your work.:popcorn:

• Like 2

Great!! Looking forward to receiving you excellent tips an tricks!!

Mine arrived sort time ago, but has to wait is turn...

I think it is the best Fitter currently available andconsidefing ig being a KH kit it did get astnoshingly good press as well! I even bought one, and wilm buy any other version they might release as well! 

Trusting in you, it will not be good, but rather excellent and inspiring!!!

:pilot:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JeffreyK said:

For a largely OOB build, you may want to check out Spencer Pollard's video blog on the thing:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy2zx9zdns3FWzQAWs8s-XQ

Cheers

J

Thanks for the link J.

I've had a look at the First Impressions video, and it's interesting to note that Spencer is highlighting the issues, but not making such a big deal of them, which is what other reviewers seem to have done. 

Personally, I'm the same as Spencer, yes there's problems, but they're not difficult to overcome.  Just needs a bit of forethought and planning. :)

• Like 2

That fuselage kink at the bottom would be an issue for me that I'd want fixing, either scratch, with aftermarket (Cold War Studio) or wait for another manufacturer to issue a better kit (I've chosen the latter), but I can fully understand that it's a non-issue for others as it's a bit hidden on the finished model.

The intake bullet is another, but there's aftermarket there for it already....

Cheers

J

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Great!! Looking forward to receiving you excellent tips an tricks!!

Mine arrived sort time ago, but has to wait is turn...

I think it is the best Fitter currently available andconsidefing ig being a KH kit it did get astnoshingly good press as well! I even bought one, and wilm buy any other version they might release as well! 

Trusting in you, it will not be good, but rather excellent and inspiring!!!

:pilot:

Thank you.

I agree, it's a very detailed kit. I planning on getting the Hobbyboss UM version, due out soon. I've already a scheme in mind for it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JeffreyK said:

That fuselage kink at the bottom would be an issue for me that I'd want fixing, either scratch, with aftermarket (Cold War Studio) or wait for another manufacturer to issue a better kit (I've chosen the latter), but I can fully understand that it's a non-issue for others as it's a bit hidden on the finished model.

The intake bullet is another, but there's aftermarket there for it already....

Cheers

J

The underside kink doesn't bother me, as there'll be 2 droptanks underneath. I've got a corrected Machcone/intake bullet on order. Hopefully it won't take too long to arrive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flyingdutchman said:

Another Russian build. I'm really curious about the fit and all that. It has had a lot of criticism but on the forum I've not yet seen one build as a WIP.

Will follow!

Evert

Hi Evert

JefferyK posted a link to a very useful YouTube build review from Spencer Pollard, which I have watched with interest.  

So far, I am finding the fit, of what I've done, reasonably good.

• Like 2

Cockpit all finished.  
There are a lot of parts for this, especially the seat. Belts are kit supplied PE.
The main instrument panel is finished with the supplied decal, matt varnished, and gloss on the dials . There are decals for the side panels too, but I chose to paint those instead.
All finished off with a UMP dark dirt wash, and sealed with matt varnish.

33839001780_9af3c196d2.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34182518176_1b5495a8f2.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34065993242_497a91fe9b.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34092235871_9ab1a91e3b.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 13

On 22/04/2017 at 1:06 PM, Wee Beastie said:

PLEASE NOTE - I am well aware of the bad press this kit has received. Frankly I don't care......I will build it, and it will be good!!

That's the spirit!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, eng said:

Impressive work on that cockpit Sir, looks very nice indeed.

Eng

11 hours ago, Helidriver said:

wow that looks nice. Will be following this for sure. Such a brute of an aircraft.

Thank you guys.

One of the issues I'd heard about, is the joining of the fuselage parts, and how bad the shaping was, and that nothing mated up properly. All I can say is I didn't come across that at all. 
The fuselage comes in 6 pieces, 3 for each side. The instructions suggest building the 3 sections, of front, mid, and rear, as separate subsections. 
What I have done is join all 3 sections together, thus making a complete fuselage half. This was done laying the sections on a flat surface, then cementing the parts together.  Only one piece didn't quite mate up properly, so with a small weight placed on top, this helped to "squash" that parts into shape.  It worked. A little bit of Vallejo Plastic Putty to tidy up the joints, and hey presto!! So I now have 2 fuselage halves ready for a final assembly.
Ooooh, and I found some Armoury Su-17/22 resin wheels. Think I might use those.

33381838364_b731c6a95d.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34223792355_f45265ffbe.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34183092246_59c55d961c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33412860013_8f76c3cd12.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33839595720_ecd3306051.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33839595850_23e32bfd4a.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 11

While I wait for the HAD Models corrected Mach-cone to arrive, I am working on other areas of the build. So some things are being done bottom about face, but the result will be the same.
I've finished the foreword wheel bay, and front undercarriage leg.  
They are primed with Tamiya's Fine Surface Primer. As the colour is very close for the bay's, I just glossed it, then used some Flory Dark Dirt wash, highlight with white.
The wheels are painted with Mission Models Tire Black, and the wheel centres are Akan's Russian Antenna and Wheel green. Weathering is Tamiya's weather master sand and light sand.
This was all then finished with a couple of light coats of matt varnish.

34121852532_e102144b72.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34278995755_bd944daf87.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

33895144240_f65dc9c1ac.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 5

There will be bombs......a couple of R-60's, and a couple of fuel tanks too.........but mainly, there will be bombs!! :)
My chosen load out for the Fitter. May not be 100% accurate, and I've no doubt somebody will point that out, but tough poo! :D
Anyone contemplating building this kit, be warned. The instructions on the placement of pylons is a little unclear. Some pylons have locating pins, but no locating holes on the part to be joined. And there are no instructions for the building of the multiple bomb racks either.
I also found I'd got a set of Armoury resin bombs racks and OFAB-100's.

34257271946_2129986205.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr 

• Like 7

On 27 April 2017 at 9:13 AM, eng said:

You're making good progress on this, looks nice.

Eng

4 minutes ago, Flyingdutchman said:

Very nice Ian! The cockpit looks very nice too. Quite a load out you've chosen!

Thank you guys. :)