A really RUSSIAN Russian! The "Hobby" Yak-7

I had mentioned in the Chat for "From Russia With Love GB" that on first glance I misread the rules.

What I thought was that kit had to me made in Russia, no Hasegawa MiG-21's, for instance, but good old, some times crude, RUSSIAN made kits, those where want we wanted.

A couple of days later I reread the post and figured out that I had made a big whoops.  (my mistake.)

However, I got a little stubborn about it and decided to do it both my way and the way the rules were actually written.

So I combed through my stash and found a surprising amount of models that actually fit both criteria. (some of them VERY nice and not crude in any way)

I picked the "Hobby" Yak-7 1/72 scale kit.  According to Scale Mates "Hobby" is the name of the manufacturer, kitting the kits sometime in the 80's.

IMG_5530_zpsszy9jrwe.jpg

About a decade later the kit was released again by another company and somehow both kits had ended up in my stash.

IMG_5522_zpsvdzpp3qa.jpg

One is molded in thick green plastic, the other in thick gray plastic and both have REALLY bad canopies but both molds have the all important mark.

IMG_5523_zpst64ixitp.jpg

So when the starting gun goes off, I will begin building a real RUSSIAN Russian!

Greg in OK

Edited by Greg in OK
  • Like 4

Glad to see that you got it both ways Greg, but it looks to me that these kits are past there used by date - so be careful. On the other hand, it is always good to see Yakovlev piston fighters being build.

Cheers, Peter

Хороший день, товарищи! (Good day, Comrades!)

I wanted to get a good start on this kit so prior to today I started sanding and scraping and cutting the HUGE amount of flash on the "Hobby" kit.  (Yes, my Russian is limited to on-line translators but as far as I can tell the company name is 'Hobby'.) 

Trimming the flash was a time consuming job (several evenings) but not one drop of adhesive touched the parts until the starting bell today.  The kit reminds me of my (unsuccessful) attempt to make a vac-form model.  SLIGHTLY less cutting, scraping and sanding than that effort, but not a whole lot less.

Once the flash is removed it seems to be a fairly nice kit, at least in terms of shape if not fit.

So this morning I jumped in with the glue a started putting it together.

Yak%207%201_zpsaixwhd8f.jpg

I can see that I am going to have to do quite a bit of fitting on this one.

Greg in Oklahoma

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Crikey Greg; I didn't think anyone else had these anymore :D!

I tried to build the Yak 7 Uti version around 15 years ago. I know what you mean about flash :o! Mine was in brittle, brown plastic. I think it took 3 days to get the flash off!

Then I just couldn't get the wings to align to the fuselage properly. Plus I sanded too much off of a wingtip trying to get it to look 'right', so it ended there, in tears :weep:.

It would be great to see someone succeed with the kit; the shapes seem right, I'm sure the potential is there.

All best regards 

TonyT

They also did a Yak 9, mainly with the same parts.  I did end up assembling something approximating a Yak 7V from the pair, using a Falcon 7UTI canopy and undercarriage from spares.  I don't think I'd show it to anyone.  Recently I was rather surprised to find that I still had the remaining bits, and began wondering about making something from them, but that way madness lies.