Two-Stage Mosquito announcement

petr@SpecialHobby

Special Hobby team have been preparing  completely new 1/72 Two-Stage Mosquito versions for almost two years now. This fact is well known here among Czech model making companies. The Mosquito project is really very complex one, we have been using measurements taken on a real Mosquito at the Brusells Air Museum. The project design has been prepared using our 3D CAD system and the kit parts will be injected into steel moulds in quality levels common for our latest efforts as were the Mirage F.1, Gnat, Fouga Magister or V2 kits.

Full resolution image files at:
http://www.specialhobby.info/2017/04/172-double-stage-engine-mosquito-kits.html

sm-M-NF30-36-w_zpsm6n0muh2.jpg

sm-M-NF15-w_zpsajye9n1j.jpg

sm-M-B9-16-w_zpsesiszntm.jpg

sm-M-NF15-prt_zps4q8yx7yp.png

sm-M-B9-16-prt_zps0mgvboef.png

sm-M-NF15-prt2_zpslnffte4t.png

sm-M-NF30-36-prt_zpshirrzdh7.png

Edited by petr@SpecialHobby
  • Like 9

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!  Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :yahoo::yahoo::frantic::frantic:

Thank you Special Hobby!! :heart:

• Like 1

Looks like Special Hobby are going to do the full set of two stage Mossies.  Personally, it's just the bomber/PR ones that interest me, which is less bad news for my wallet.

Whilst it's the NF versions which interest me the most, I'm very pleased to see the bomber/PR versions too, I will be buying both most definitely!

If they mould the radome in clear plastic that will be brilliant as that would permit NF.30 through 36 (just paint over it for an NF.XXX/30), I'm very pleased to see the later flame damping exhaust shrouds, they always seem to be the bette noir of any attempt to do a late NF version.

It looks like they've made a decent effort with the two stage cowlings.

Really looking forward to this kit, I can see me buying at least a dozen of the various versions of this kit as long as they get it right!

This and the forthcoming Super Mystère are why they and Airfix are my manufacturers of choice - they're making subjects I want to model!

Edited by Wez
Speelung!!
  • Like 2

The NF. 15 has smaller wheels Steve, you're right :thumbsup2: . I'm doing one with a very old (and now 'collector' expensive) Paragon set at the moment.

This could be a very big money spinner for Special Hobby. I was cobbling together a the double stage NF. 15 right now using all sorts of bits (based on a Matchbox kit)... Then found out Arma Hobby have just brought out engines that can be used with the Tamiya kits. I might give that a whirl too but now I find that this is happening!;

All of the faff is a bit tiresome compared to having off the shelf kits at my old age :clif:  :D.

I buy more Special Hobby/Azur/MPM/Frrom than anything else. It's been that way for a long time - great subjects and great customer service.

This is really good news (but probably not for my wallet or Mrs. T :unsure:).

TonyT

• Like 1

Just use them on the Tamiya kit?  If they have an (incorrect) square panel just aft of the exhausts, use them on a Hasegawa kit, as those are the originals Neil did in '99 and intended for that kit - it was before Tamiya released theirs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

To finally see good quality Mk. IX's and Mk. XVI's plus others is great.  The modelling community of 1/72 WW2 has long waited for this important gap to be filled and other have commented that this will be a real winner for Special Hobby and I agree.  Hasegawa has missed the opportunity to do this after issuing a number of Mk.IV's and Mk. VI's.  I hope they are on the market soon.

• Like 1

Even if Hasegawa *had* grasped the opportunity for a two stage Merlin Mosquito - and they must have been planning it given the breakdown of the wing/nacelles - I'm certain it would have been as much of a disappointment as their existing Mosquito, with all it's myriad faults.  Including: thick and blunt leading edge, paltry almost non-existent cockpit interior, split canopies, lack of u/c detail, horrible fit and in some examples, warped plastic.  All for a vastly inflated price.

• 8 months later...

Ok, I'm very late to this party.... whats the good news?? Is this still 'in the works'? I'm VERY interested in this project......and I'd be in for a couple for sure... very hard to find accurate 2 stage Merlins .............................

A while back I went onto the Special Hobby website and asked the following question based on what had been announced at the Nuernberg show:

Are you still planning a two-stage Mosquito in 1/72nd?

I've received the following encouraging response:

Its true, we are working on doble stage Mosquitos still.

So finger's crossed we shall see these much overlooked machines in 1/72nd scale.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have a couple of sets of the Brengun two stage kits for use on Tamiya MK IVs plus Blackbird's bulged bomb bay door set and 100 gallon drop tanks and, Pavla's bomb bay interior resin set with a Paragon canopy...

Roll on a B XVI 😄

• 1 month later...