DH114 Heron 1 - BEA Red Square - Base completed 11 July

nimrod54

With nearly two months to go, I thought that I would make a start on a final model for this GB. My choice of subject is this little 1/144 Welsh Models Heron 1 and here are the obligatory box and contents shots before I get started.

DSC01834_zps2licvaje.jpg

DSC01945_zpsnbacbfru.jpg

After giving the parts a wash in some warm soapy water, the next job will be to separate them from the pouring lugs.

• Like 6

I think it's fair to say you've thrown your all at this GB, this being your 4th build! It's great to see another one from you, and it's another interesting kit. Watching with much interest (again)!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, there aren't too many parts to this kit, but I think that there may be some extras that can be added, even if it is only the aerials. I am quite conscious of the fact that I still owe @Col. a Vulcan for the 70's NATO vs Warsaw Pact GB too, but I am hopeful of completing them both for the respective deadlines. 

• Like 1

The Heron might not have the sleek lines of some earlier Dh products but still retains its own charm. Another interesting choice of subject John and I'll forgive you the delay on that Vulcan ;) 

• Like 1

I got this one underway last night and, after tidying up the main components, the first job was to drill a hole along the fuselage length from the nose. I will fill this with some Liquid Gravity and I hope that will prevent the model from becoming a tail sitter.

DSC01949_zpsww47e9jb.jpg

DSC01950_zpsgbddvp8z.jpg

The wings and fin parts were then added to the fuselage, taking care to line up the wing roots with those moulded on the fuselage to give a best fit and I am hoping that this will minimize any filling/clean up.

DSC01952_zps8ptubcao.jpg

However, this left a Grand Canyon sized gap at the forward edge of the wing join which I have filled with a piece of scrap resin from the kit.

DSC01953_zpscevw8ww8.jpg

DSC01954_zpswzkcuczf.jpg

• Like 3

I don't usually add the sticky-out bits on a build until nearing the end, but I have had add the undercarriage at this early stage. The kit has locating holes for the main legs on top of the nacelle, this gives the model a very nose down stance and I don't feel that this is the correct location. Looking at photos of the Heron 1 the correct location is at the side of nacelle and, to me at least, looks as though it is faired in around this area.

I decided to trim the locating pin and cut away some of the material from the rear face of each leg, material was also removed from the nacelles to accept the reshaped leg. This has improved the stance, although I think that it may be a little high at the back end. I am hoping that if I flatten the wheels a little that this will improve things further.

DSC01961_zpsefollxl2.jpg

DSC01960_zpsnhvcza9j.jpg

On the negative side and despite me drilling a hole in the fuselage from the nose back to the leading edge, then packing this with some aquarium plant weight and liquid gravity, the model is still a tail-sitter and hence the reason for the Blu-tack under the nosewheel. That means that I will have to fix this to a base, still, it maybe an opportunity to model a sandy strip at Barra.

• Like 3

OK guys, I am jumping forward a few steps here, because the model is still at the fitting/filling/sanding stage.

Due to this one being a tail-sitter, I have decided to fix it to a base and I am looking for some helpful tips on the easiest way to create the low lying sand dunes seen in this photo of Traigh Mhor. I need to get some materials together and thought about using a combination of some grass tufts (greens and browns) with some sand scatter over polystyrene formed to shape, but I am not sure if it may be easier to use one of the household fillers to create these first, then add scatter over that.

Any advice on the best way forward before I buy something totally unsuitable would be appreciated.

As you can see from the photos, I have been able to get a couple of coats of primer over this little beast. I'm not sure if you can have a beast that is little, although Mrs N has delivered a few lessons on mini-beasts, anyway I digress. My intention had been to get some colour on this but the wind was too strong today, so that will have to wait for a calmer day.

DSC01983_zpsrfferwyt.jpg

One job I have completed has been to add the dome on top of the cockpit, I did this by laminating some pieces of sheet plastic together and this was trimmed to a rough shape before it was glued in position. I left things overnight before the shape was further refined and the small piece of brass tubing was added, I also attempted to form the fillet which supports this from super glue, but it doesn't look as though this has been successful and so I will have to revisit this.

DSC01985_zpshiwgpzzi.jpg

• Like 2

As I said in the previous post, I was not happy with the fillet I had attempted to create with superglue, this might have worked had I used something less viscose but we live and learn. Anyway I took another stab at it and this time used some thin plastic cardwith one end cut to match the angles, then using a combination of Tamiya Extra Thin glue for the join on the plastic dome and thin superglue for that on the brass tube I fixed this in place. Once dry I set about filing this to shape, the result is certainly more akin to the actual thing than it was before.

The Mk.1 eyeball must be in fine fettle at the moment too because, having pushed a piece of thin wire down the tube, all of the angles seem to have worked out OK and it looks as though the cable will hit the fin at the right spot when I add it towards the end. Whoopie-doo, bonus!

DSC01988_zpsmuttkgdz.jpg

DSC01989_zpsan0hnnvm.jpg

I have made a start on the painting and was able to get the red on the wings last night then followed this up with some gloss white on the upper fuselage and empennage. I have to look for a suitable colour for the shiny bits now, I hope to sort that out over the coming week.

DSC01990_zpsut5b260q.jpg

I have also started to get some of the bits for the beach landing strip and this arrived yesterday.

DSC01991_zps61w7fgbv.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Lovely progress John! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks a lot Stix. I have been looking at colours for the NMF areas and have some Vallejo Metal acrylic Semi Matt Aluminium which may be suitable. The recommended method of application is by airbrush, but I am going to see how it goes on by brush.

• Like 1

Finished adding the metallic shades this afternoon. in the end I used Semi Matt Aluminium from the Vallejo Metal Color range for the nacelles and most of the trailing edge and their Matt Aluminium for the inboard flap and aileron trim tab. I also used this on the lower fuselage because whilst it has a metallic sheen it also has a grey hue to it, which is more the colour I was looking for in this area. It does not show up too well in the photos, but I will try and get a lower angle shot for the next update.

DSC01992_zpsjbjsjbjo.jpg

DSC01993_zpslmeynmxi.jpg

The Vallejo colours should be applied by airbrush, but in this small scale I thought that I would see how they brush painted. I probably used more paint than I would have via the airbrush, because they dry out quickly. However, they went on well and, for the lower fuselage at least, I found that the best technique was to keep the brushstroke as one continuous stroke, that way you avoid too many brush marks.

Next job is to paint the black leading edges and then it will be time for decals.

• Like 5

Most of the decals are on, I just have to check the location of a couple of cut marks on the roof, there are also a few areas on the white decals that need retouching. If anyone has this in their stash I would consider giving the decals printed on white a coat of liquid decal film to stop them flaking at the edges.

Once the retouching has been completed I can add the final details and crack on with a base.

DSC02003_zpsgauagpes.jpg

DSC02004_zpsc8f945as.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Grandboof said:

Great looking Looking forward to the beach 

Martin H

Yep, me too Martin. :fraidnot: I still haven't figured out how to tackle that one yet but I am sure I will sort something out. There is definitely going to be some sand involved because I have bought that - and I don't like to waste money. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to spend some more time on this today, there are just one or two small jobs left to do before I can call the model finished. I am hoping to have those done over the weekend and that will give me a week to make the base.

DSC02137_zps2uvx0xxp.jpg

DSC02138_zpsalmxlx7r.jpg

77b3e025-399b-4016-a9d7-b2be6cf94373_zps

• Like 8

You don't hang about do you?? Great to see a Heron too.