Navy troublemaker AFV Club F-5N - Now in RFI!

eng

Good evening, 

Had the opportunity to flash up the airbrush today now that the kids are back to school and this weeks shifts are done! 

I've had this AFV Club F-5N pretty much since the kit was released but it stalled after I put the first of the colours on it. Today I've managed 2 rounds of fiddly masking and painting, oh how did I ever put up with Xtracrylix in my airbrush, Tamiya forever now! I have just managed a first coat of Klear as well before retiring for the evening. After another coat of Klear I'll be looking to decals this bad boy aggressor, but wondered if there's any issues or things to watch with AFV Club decals as I haven't used them before. I'd normally use Microset/sol or Klear, how do AFV decals react to Microset/sol?

Quick pic for those interested (I have progressed the KH Su-17 as well but that's for later!)

Eng

84F2FA18-BE51-4F6C-8739-75EA62EF1DD3_zps

EE79A55C-FE30-4DFA-8CF6-DD98383198E4_zps

Edited by eng
Update
  • Like 6

Aaarrrrgghhh! My nervousness around the AFV Club decals was well founded unfortunately. I was really excited at the prospect of getting some decals on to this bird last night but I picked out a couple of small inconspicuous stencil decals to try and found that these would not even release from the backing sheet 😕. A few options were investigated but to no avail. I now have some of the following winging there way to me with the bottom option being my intended jet - 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TB48242

Hopefully these will arrive early in the week and I can get back to it soon.

Eng

Hi Eng,

I had similar issues with my AFV Club F-5F: http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/l.aspx?k=106683552

The decal shattered a few seconds after placing it in the water. I tried with another set from another kit (I really wanted to do the tiger tail) and same issue.

I tried with micro Sol solution in the water, but same problem.

So now I use the AFV kits, but make sure I have AM decals. It's a shame because the kits are pretty good.

I haven't seen anyone give a solution for getting these decals to work consistently. Seems to be hit and miss.

Benson.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Benson said:

Hi Eng,

I had similar issues with my AFV Club F-5F: http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/l.aspx?k=106683552

The decal shattered a few seconds after placing it in the water. I tried with another set from another kit (I really wanted to do the tiger tail) and same issue.

I tried with micro Sol solution in the water, but same problem.

So now I use the AFV kits, but make sure I have AM decals. It's a shame because the kits are pretty good.

I haven't seen anyone give a solution for getting these decals to work consistently. Seems to be hit and miss.

Benson.

I feel a bit better now knowing it's not some finger trouble I've introduced somewhere along the line! My new TwoBobs sheet has been dispatched.... Roll on a visit from the Postie on Monday hopefully!

A bonus from the situation is the TwoBobs sheet has all the markings and stencilling for the F-5F I have in the stash too!

Eng

Edited by eng

13 hours ago, Benson said:

Definitely not just finger trouble :)

Its looking good so far. Please post a picture once you have the decals on. :camera: 

Will do 👍. It's funny how a kit can sit for over a year since you last touched it, then you do a little bit of work that relights a spark of enthusiasm again, and before you know it you're wishing the working week away til you can get back to it! Really excited about how this is taking shape.

Eng

• Like 1

92AB6D7D-CA3A-42C9-BD5D-D3E02286A083_zps

New decals arrived yesterday! Mrs S is going out this evening, there's a beer in the fridge and I'm now off work for a few days so there's no excuse, looking forward to pushing on with this.

Eng

• Like 3

Ooooohhhh! Now we're getting somewhere after a good 5hr decalling session, I'll let the pic's do the talking and you can make your own minds up but I'm liking this. Little bit of touching up to do on the rudder decals but I suspected these would be my main issue

0B8209AD-EAB4-413F-A928-D9E4BDBF2697_zps

56AB5509-F65B-40CA-90DA-8E8868E98EA6_zps

DA088AD7-2E29-4C03-A5BB-7925BF428E2B_zps

A few decals to apply on the canopy and arrestor hook still, but I'm calling it a night at that and quitting while the going is good.

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

great night shift!

Felt like a night shift too, think I wrapped it at 01:50! Just had a quick peek and the few wrinkles on the shark mouth and rudder markings have all pulled out nicely with plenty Microset 😊

Eng

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got back to it this week, got a Promodeller Dark wash on followed by a Matt varnish coat (Humbrol rattle can) and am working through some subtle pastel weathering and staining just now. These birds seem to be generally well looked after other than paint fading so keep reminding myself to avoid getting too carried away.

I've also assembled my PJ Productions pilot and got a coat of paint onto him as well, he needs some detail painting and drybrushing to finish him off (and if I can find a decal small enough, a red star on his bone dome!)

Just one quick pic tonight -

4E336A64-B71D-44F9-B93A-27B78385D0B9_zps

Almost there!

Eng

• Like 2