exhaust heat coloring tutorials?

TimMather

Most exhaust staining I've seen has been done with paints airbrushed really carefully. Either that or you could try and find/make a metal exhaust and heat stain it with actual heat, I've tried that on a top studio exhaust set and it worked well. 

Shaun 

I've just searched Youtube and can't find the video I used but to be honest there's plenty of tutorials you can use, just type burnt metal exhaust effect and view a few.

The great thing is, it's so easy, I spray Citadel's bronze over the base steel colour then purple, blue and black in reducing layers and after a few practices you should get a really good result. 

Regards

John

Here you go tim these are a couple I used as a starting point when I first experimented with heat staining. 

They may help with getting started and obviously just do what suits you best technique wise. 

Shaun 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 21/04/2017 at 08:37, TimMather said:

all i could find was tamyia make up sets things, wanted something a like more pro.

Nothing wrong with the Tamiya sets. I've used them on bikes and F1 cars with excellent results. Also used clear colours from Alclad and Tamiya for heat staining with an airbrush.

• 2 months later...