Kill Team/Space Wolves

I painted up the exhaust stacks last night, and got the legs and torso glued together earlier today:

30898429188_fab091dd3c_b.jpg

I added some texture to the inner exhaust shrouds with Typhus Corrosion (brown paint with bits in) and drybrushed a little Hashut copper and Ryza rust onto the ends. That was a little bright so I stippled over it with a mix of black wash and black paint. All of which is now hard to see with the armour in place 😕

I also painted the upper and lower ends of the exhaust with a thin coat of Boltgun Metal and used black wash to define the shapes and dull it down a bit. I'm probably going to add some pigments later, to the upper side at least.  The rest of the inner body has had a few washes and a silver dry-brush to pick out the edges.

It's not hugely different at the back, but the front looks good with the sarcophagus in place.

42959091680_cc88def0e9_b.jpg

I didn't glue it as the fit is so tight, but I probably don't want to remove it. Which is a pity because I meant to install a little piece of reflective film behind the vision slit! I think I can get it in place from behind as the top armour isn't attached yet, and that's an easy fit.

I need to get those front guns done so I can fit the rest of the armour. Not long now :)

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

Tiniest of updates today, but a cool one: I managed to glue a sliver of reflective polarising film behind the view slit :)

44072654424_09516aed5b_b.jpg

It's difficult to photograph, but the way it catches the light is very satisfying. Tricky to fit though - I needed to tip the sarcophagus forward, and when pushing it back I accidentally used the (not at all load-bearing) cylinder things I added as a brace and broke them off the process. Now re-glued, and I need to run something into the gap to make it look less obvious.

I did a bit more at the end of the evening, so the bolters and Icarus missile launcher have been painted and fitted. Only the big weapons (and the mini-gatling, which is half-painted) to go.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 5

looking good, like all the cables and lights. I'm starting to look at the GW stuff in a different light, from a modeling and painting viewpoint a small kit can keep you occupied for quite some time, making then have a good cost/interest/enjoyment/time spent ratios, if you know what I mean........:drunk: 

• Like 1

That's a big part of how I justify it too :) I don't think it's any less true of e.g. a cheaper Airfix kit, but I like the subjects and I think the figure-painting approach is quite different in feel to building a plane. And with the GW pieces you can play a game with them after, if you want, which I guess adds a bit too.

42999380690_0af543dc4c_b.jpg

I painted and fitted (with friction rather than glue) the chin guns and the Icarus launcher. The latter looks a bit messy in daylight and may need to be tidied up given that it's the top centre point.

30939300388_d7a892e16c_b.jpg

The grey is the same recipe as elsewhere (Administratum Grey washed with Nuln Oil and dry-brushed Administratum Grey and Celestra Grey) and the black is straight black with Celestra Grey edge highlights, which are a bit chalky and naff.

Missile noses were carefully painted Celestra Grey and dotted with Mephiston Red. They're moulded in place so care was definitely needed, but the brush clearance is OK.

I think half an hour or so with a fine brush and black paint in daylight will help refine those edges and then I can press on and paint up that little dangly thing on the chest armour, which is one of the few remaining body pieces still loose

Cheers,

Will

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:53 PM, Carts said:

Lovely paint work,looks outstanding.

Thanks!

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:43 PM, GMK said:

Beautiful work! Very subtle painting and weathering. 

Thanks! Sorry it's been put to one side for such a long time. I'm not sure quite what it was - maybe subject fatigue, maybe that I was worrying about how to paint the weapons?

I had to address the latter yesterday as I got talked into giving a small workshop in Games Workshop Lower Hutt on painting glowy stuff. Not something that I've been doing for very long, but it was nice to help out.

So I had something to work on, I painted up the dreadnought's plasma weapon and blocked in the coil area with white ink, sealed with Klear to give a good surface.

47040167561_94b046e972_b.jpg

I started with a wash of Guilliman Blue, which was too purple/blue and I wasn't sure about it at all, but by the end of the workshop it was starting to look like something as seen above. I added some green with thinned Waywatcher and then did lots of overpainting and washing with the GW teal colours, glazes, and a little dark blue wash.

I think most of the dust is just on the surface, not trapped - I didn't clean for the photo...

Cheers,

Will

• Like 3

• 3 months later...