New scheme for PA474

Mancunian airman

I have read on another forum the PA474 is to carry the marking of a 50 Squadron kite; it bears 'VN-T' on its starboard side.

I was wondering what kind of artwork it will have and does anybody know of a high scoring or grand nose art of a 50 sqdn. Lanc. that might just adorn this new scheme ?

1 hour ago, Steve 1602 said:

Thanks Steve,......and well done to the BBMF for a great new scheme,.......and I don`t always say that!! (Think Hurricane`s!)

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

So nice to see No. 460 Squadron commemorated with this iconic flying tribute - will it be ready for ANZAC day (25 April?).

Off the top of my head wasn't this one of (if not) the squadron that suffered the most out of all Bomber Command units?

It certainly holds some significant statistic that I just cannot remember just yet - might need to Google it!

Cheers.. Dave   

1 hour ago, junglierating said:

Hmm that's pretty cool.

What was the problem with the Hurricane?

The SEAC scheme was supposed to replicate the aircraft of Canadian Flight Lt. Jimmy Whalen DFC and included his nose art,... but he died before the white bands and small SEAC roundels were applied,..... plus it didn`t carry the EG codes,! A photo exists of an aircraft that he flew sporting larger blue and white roundels and a single code letter,...I informed the BBMF of this and asked whether the contractors had simply copied the Airfix Hurricane decal option,...but was basically told to go away as I didn`t know what I was talking about,.... typical officer `pat on head' and I know best routine!

Here is their splurge;

In November 2010, PZ865 was sent to Duxford for major maintenance and refurbishment. From 2012 this famous Hurricane will wear a new colour scheme, faithfully replicating Hurricane Mk IIC HW840, coded ‘EG-S’, of 34 Squadron, South East Asia Command during 1944, the personal aircraft of Canadian pilot, Flight Lieutenant Jimmy Whalen DFC.

Here is their scheme, complete with nose art,....which strongly resembles an option in the Airfix kit which was released at the same time;

Image result for bbmf hurricane

And here is one of the aircraft that he flew;

Image result for HURRICANE JIMMY WHALEN

If you are still interested,....here is a thread dealing with my ltter to the BBMF;

Now don`t get me wrong,.....the scheme looks great and I am so glad that they represented SEAC,..... but the scheme is supposed to `faithfully replicate' Whalen`s Hurricane and is therefore wrong!

Cheers

Tony

Phew that's a storm that you brewed.No doubts you are correct ....not gonna question that.

I am going to go with the practicaly view and say ...meh.

It was painted and lets be fair it was pretty close...ok white flashes an oversight maybe just to make it look more exciting and crowd pleasing.It is still represents an SEAC aircraft and that pilot,there are probably good reasons for the way it was represented .You would be amazed at the hoops one has to go through.For one it's not just a paint job.....it is an a/c modification which has to be accessed and approved.....I know this from the Olympic rings sea king and the cabin door RN paint job......it's unbelievable but that is how it is.

I wouldn't take it personally mate....the guys are probably inundated with e mails .....people respond better to written letters.B)l

38 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Phew that's a storm that you brewed.No doubts you are correct ....not gonna question that.

I am going to go with the practicaly view and say ...meh.

It was painted and lets be fair it was pretty close...ok white flashes an oversight maybe just to make it look more exciting and crowd pleasing.It is still represents an SEAC aircraft and that pilot,there are probably good reasons for the way it was represented .You would be amazed at the hoops one has to go through.For one it's not just a paint job.....it is an a/c modification which has to be accessed and approved.....I know this from the Olympic rings sea king and the cabin door RN paint job......it's unbelievable but that is how it is.

I wouldn't take it personally mate....the guys are probably inundated with e mails .....people respond better to written letters.B)l

I initially contacted them because I thought that they had been screwed by the contractors lazy research but the BBMF officer bloke said that he had tirelessly researched it himself! I just said why don`t you just represent SEAC in general without concentrating on a particular individual for whom the scheme was incorrect,... but hey,...I agree that it looked lovely,...... but why say that it faithfully replicated his aircraft,.....yeah the nose art did,.....but nothing else! 

As you say,.....meh,......and I`ll add,.....bloody officers!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Looks to be a great scheme for PA474, that will soon be released as a decal thats for sure :rofl:

Dont think she will be ready for ANZAC day but she will surely give the recognition to those Aussie boys that flew from RAF Binbrook, yet another station close to me  . . .:clap2: and yes, 460 lost more kites than any other bomber squadron of No1 Group if not Bomber Command.

Looking forward to the roll out.

Ian