Spitfire Mk.IX Cowlings (Early 648305 Late 648306) 1:48

Spitfire Mk.IX Cowlings (Early 648305 Late 648306)

1:48 Eduard Brassin

boxtop.jpg

These new sets are resin replacement cowlings for the new(ish) Spitfire IX from Eduard in 1:48.  As usual with Eduard's resin sets, they arrive in the familiar Brassin clamshell box, with the resin parts safely cocooned on dark grey foam inserts, and the instructions sandwiched between the two halves, doubling as the header card.  Each one consists of just the one part, which is a drop-in replacement for the two kit parts.  Due to the limitations of injection moulding, the subtle bulges of the cowling had to be moulded as two parts for the kit, which is a limitation that resin doesn't share due to its flexible moulds.  The differences between early and late revolve around placement and number of fasteners, which you can just about see in the accompanying photo, and it is all incredibly delicate and sharply rendered. 

648305-6.jpg

With the two part kit cowling you risk damaging the detail during clean-up, and the dreaded "reappearing seam" that has plagued at least one of my own Spitfire builds, and some others that I have seen online over the years.  The relatively low price of this part makes it well worth the effort and expense to improve your kit's detail.

Highly recommended.

Early (648305)
bin.jpg

Late (648306)

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

You'd think wouldn't you? 

However the one they just released for the mk8 in 72nd scale is the same part (R40) as the mk 9 early cowl... Which goes against the plastic parts they tell you to use in the kits. 

There is a theme of the same parts but in different boxes to cover all angles perhaps avoiding confusing people with multiple titles for the Brassin. 

Like the F and G2 Brassin wheels and also the F and G control surfaces in 48th scale. Same bits but in boxes with different labels. 

Ask me how I know lol

• Like 1

The wrong resin cowl will probably hurt the eyes less then failure to remove the dreaded seam down the middle though 😇

Eduards way of mixing and moving around the common components isn't really helping, but I guess that's the point. Maybe that's why it takes them quite long to complete the toolings for each new project, since the can't reuse the tool, just the CAD-data?