Wheel size advice needed Chev 1311 LRDG

Tom Cobbley

I am currently planning to convert the Tamiya 1533 LRDG patrol car to its 1311 little brother. I am aware that the wheels were smaller but am trying to understand by how much.

The LRDG website provides some great  information but at the same time not quite enough.

The 1533 wheels are quoted as 10.5x 20"  and the 1311 at 7.5x 17".

What do these numbers mean, I am trying to work out wheel diameter, tyre diameter and tyre width?

Once I know that I will then have to work out how to make them but that is the next problem!

That would be my guess, 17" is the diameter while 7.5" is the width of the tires.

You can always take a ruler to your existing kit, and see how 10.5 x 20 scales down at 1/35 - then you will know for certain what the values are referring to.  I'd suggest converting to metric first, or at least that would be how I'd do it.

regards,

Jack

Thank you gentlemen, your thoughts are helpful. Following your advice I took a rule to the Tamiya wheels. The hub diameter is indeed 20" ( near enough) , By one of those funny coincidences Mirror Models have just released a sand tyred version of their Quad wheels which are 10.5x16". A tad too wide and a smidge too small but certainly good enough at this scale and frankly its highly unlikely that anything else will appear. Order placed , lets see what they look like.

• Like 1

On 20/04/2017 at 3:46 AM, Kit builder said:

Not to be pedantic, but the 7.5 in measurement would be the width of the wheel rim between the bead seats.

Maybe not quite. Land Rovers running 7.50 section tyres usually ran a 5.5" width between the bead seats rim. A 7.5 rim width on that diamter tyre sounds big for that era to my mind. Bear in mind too Tom that the rim diameter would be between the bead seats, not the outer flange of the rim which would be approx 1" bigger in diameter than the nominal diameter. Hows that for pedantic. :)

Steve.

• Like 1