Britmodeller running slow?

:lol: There's a few, and all the rest of 'em are ok.  We have no problems with other sites, as long as they're not openly hostile, and as such we rub along pretty well with them, doing them the courtesy of clamping down on anyone that wants to use Britmodeller as a platform to belittle them from afar. 

When a site's Moderators ridicule your members for not being of the requisite standard "There are a few good modellers over there", implying that most aren't up to their lofty standards, and question your parentage and everything else about you at whim, you soon learn that those kind of sites aren't really modelling sites at all.  They keep the pretence going with "good job" type posts when they can be bothered, but the vast majority of excitement is when they get the pitch-forks out.  That's why we call it a hate-site. :shrug:

• Like 1

I've just PMd a member to warn them that if they're seen name calling me or anyone else on Britmodeller on their new favourite site again, we'd have no choice but to ban them.  I offered her the opportunity to run all these rumours past me to see what I had to say, but she declined.  Clearly didn't want her cosy world-view upsetting.  Apparently, that's harassment by me :fraidnot::mental:

Needless to say she's no longer a member of this site.  It may seem harsh (it is, and that's how they're getting treated from now on), but why should we let anyone use our forum if they're just going to slag us off the moment they think we're not looking? :shrug: Would you?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mike said:

:lol: There's a few, and all the rest of 'em are ok.  We have no problems with other sites, as long as they're not openly hostile, and as such we rub along pretty well with them, doing them the courtesy of clamping down on anyone that wants to use Britmodeller as a platform to belittle them from afar. 

When a site's Moderators ridicule your members for not being of the requisite standard "There are a few good modellers over there", implying that most aren't up to their lofty standards, and question your parentage and everything else about you at whim, you soon learn that those kind of sites aren't really modelling sites at all.  They keep the pretence going with "good job" type posts when they can be bothered, but the vast majority of excitement is when they get the pitch-forks out.  That's why we call it a hate-site. :shrug:

Blimey, this is all a whole new world, and I am not sure I like it.  But blow 'em.  Ban the BM'ers who think they are clever by playing to other sites audience, and lets get on with the important stuff.  Mate, you sorted the site, your rules (which are for the benefit of the membership), but if it DOES get too much, shut it.  Its only big kids playing with little kids toys anyway !!! 

Well I can't speak for Sovereign as I have never had any contact with them and, to date have stuck with my seemingly infinite stocks of old Humbrol enamel but I am more than happy to endorse Duncan and his web based plastic addiction feeding service :D.

I can't deny though that I would be worried having the name of my business displayed on a site where there is a lot of venom swilling about. I have met a few people who have visited a certain site (who aren't Britmodellers and were merely wandering the internet wilderness in search of gems) and were bewildered by all the vitriol being poured out there and which seems to be the prime motivator. I have visited myself and, quite frankly, I don't wish to visit again. My 'Good guy/bad guy radar' was fair birling (Fans of 'Chewin' the Fat' will know exactly what that device is).

I did see a certain trader at Perth this year and, having read what he had to say on said site, I didn't even stop to look at his stuff. A dealers personality is important in making sales whether online or in person. But having said that, this particular trader wasn't only advertising on the site but also an active instigator.

• Like 6

Thanks for the support chap :)

When I decided to go public with the harassment that's been going on over the years, I knew there would be some fall-out, either online or in the real-world, as it's usual for something to "happen" whenever there's push-back in any way shape or form.  I was prepared for it.  What I wasn't prepared for this morning was to see a post from a former member here that some of you might remember, telling me to kill myself in no uncertain terms.  I'll let you see the exact phraseology and draw your own conclusions:

topyourself.jpg

So don't forget - if you've ever posted a picture of a child online, or (God forbid as your avatar), you must hand yourself in at the local police station forthwith as you're a deviant.  That includes at least one member of their forum too.  Oops!

The pig above was banned many years ago for trolling.  Couldn't help himself.  No agenda.  Sure.

...a final note about Mental's last line.  Oh yes please!  All I've ever wanted was to be left alone to run the forum that I set up and you have tried to ruin on numerous occasions, and not have to put up with constant hate and harassment.  That would be lovely - thanks! :please:

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

...a final note about Mental's last line.  Oh yes please!  All I've ever wanted was to be left alone to run the forum that I set up and you have tried to ruin on numerous occasions, and not have to put up with constant hate and harassment.  That would be lovely - thanks! :please:

And so say all of us.

• Like 5

I have to say Mike that I agree with you wholeheartedly. I come to this site for the convivial atmosphere, banter and information. I remember quite a few of the characters on that other site from their time on here and they were given repeated hints by other members that they were liable to find themselves excommunicated if they didn't control their behaviour and ignored them. They have no-one to blame but themselves. They kind of remind me of the terrorist types who screw up their own lives but blame other people for it rather than dent their fragile psyche's.

I have never seen what is so hard to understand about the rules here or what makes them draconian or unfair. It is like going to your regular pub and then wondering why you have been barred just because you let go a big smelly gas cloud in the middle of the room and threw up over the landlords wife.

Please, can someone let me know which site this is, either by PM or on the forum?

I have no motives other than to stay away from or even remove myself from that forum although if it were me, with this sort of abuse, I would probably now 'out' the forum concerned as maybe the negative publicity would have a positive effect although I do understand why Mike doesn't, no need to fan the flames, so to speak!

As for the second poster, I've met him once and in all honesty, he was well mannered and from the finished models I saw, a good modeller! I seem to remember that one of his children was also showing an interest in modelling and had just finished a 1:72 Hurricane! I didn't realise that he was banned and just assumed his life had taken a new route.

Hopefully, if his son is still interested in modelling, he wont be aware of what a berk MentalGuru obviously is!

The site seemed to take a bit of a rest there for a few minutes until Support got back on top of things.  Interesting timing, eh? :shrug:

• Like 1

For the past hour I have been getting 'Connection refused' message.with both Chrome and Edge.

OK how did that happen?

I just wrote the above and ssubmitted it and it came up under a different user.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Additional note: Hi, Sam here- not sure what's going on!)

Edited by cathasatail

I honestly don't think we have anything to worry about with regard to that other site. They ain't exactly setting the world on fire judging by the activity or lack thereof in there. I for one hope that Britmodeller continues to prosper as a haven for people who want to model and maybe have a wee, harmless laugh.

• Like 2

Mike; that evil suggestion is reportable to the police.

I've seen less of a suggestion taken up by them and have prosecuted successfully

~Here in N.I. the PSNI  are very lazy about internet crimes but even they have taken cases against trolls with much less than what has been happening to you

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Mike; that evil suggestion is reportable to the police.

I might take you up on that suggestion actually.  I'll need to find out where that's done first.

Caz's reaction was heartbreaking when she read it.  She was in floods of angry tears and frankly I don't blame her.  :fraidnot:

• Like 2

Sorry for the long post but...

This is so sad, what happened to modelling being the centre of attention? Like Beardie I come to this site for the banter and usually end up having a good laugh.

Before reading this post I had no idea about any of this unpleasantness, so I had a look online and found the site I think you are referring to. I read through one page and there was more nastiness, vindictiveness and venom on that one page than I have encountered in the entire two and a half years I have been visiting BM.

Soon after I joined this community, I went to add BM to my Scalemates info and found that BM on the forum list had been replaced with this other site's name, I assumed that it was a joke and said as much as to the other members. Having visited the site I can confirm that it is a joke, a pretty nasty one, but a joke all the same. It must stick in their throats that when you type that sites name into Google, it auto-corrects it to 'Britmodeller'.

Incidentally, the 'administrator' of that site was a member of Scalemates a while ago and I commented very positively on a couple of his builds - as others did, but he didn't have the manners or courtesy to thank us or even acknowledge our comments. Scalemates members don't like that, it stinks of arrogance.

I will be disappointed if you do decide to give up Mike, I've decide that I like it here and I like the fact that you actually participate in the conversation, comment on posts and welcome new members etc. It seems that whenever you do something successful, there is always someone who thinks that they deserve it rather than you, and because they are incapable of your success they think that shooting you down would be a similar achievement.

It's easy for me to say, but the best way to deal with these people (NobelSavage may be correct when he refers to them as sociopaths) is to just ignore them. The poison they have been harbouring for most of there insignificant, pointless little lives will eventually be their downfall.

Years ago I used to be concerned that a few people I knew, didn't like me. The worry and anxiety of what I believed they were saying eventually made me ill. That changed when I realised that my friends outnumbered my foes 10 fold and realised that the opinions of people who don’t matter to me, shouldn’t bother me.

Mike, Your friends outnumber your opponents a thousand fold and the vast majority of members are grateful to you for what you do.

Remember:

Illegitimi non carborundum (Don't let the ******** grind you down)

Gorby

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Mike said:

I might take you up on that suggestion actually.  I'll need to find out where that's done first.

Usually at your local plod office. They should take some details and forward it on to the regional Cyber Crime unit, usually based in the area HQ. They'll then get back to you for more detailed info

edited to add; here there was a case of a woman slagging off and lieing about  another woman who her ex-man friend had taken up with. She did her slagging off on facebook over 18 months; shes now doing 14 months in prison. Her slagging was less than what you seem to be getting Mike

You and me don't know each other except by me being a member here but I stand steadfast behind you and with you in your corner.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Gorbygould said:

I will be disappointed if you do decide to give up Mike, I've decide that I like it here and I like the fact that you actually participate in the conversation, comment on posts and welcome new members etc. It seems that whenever you do something successful, there is always someone who thinks that they deserve it rather than you, and because they are incapable of your success they think that shooting you down would be a similar achievement.

Funnily enough, one of their more recent lies is to say that I stole the forum of the originator of all this crap, and locked him out.  Guess what?  That's not true either, and if I were to obtain my original credit card records, or get a reprint of the initial invoice, I could prove it.  Can't be bothered enough now, but I have the evidence there if I ever need it. :)

Thanks for all the positive comments too folks.  I know that we're here for the modelling, but this hatred has really taken a toll on my life and health (stress makes my conditions worse, which is ironic) over the years, and they're getting more bold as time goes by.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Gorbygould said:

NobelSavage may be correct when he refers to them as sociopaths

His post here was like reading their biography! :shocked:

I'm logged on as Bullbasket, so don't attribute this reply to him

Sorry to hear about all the hazzle you going through and have been going through for just providing a great site to be apart of Mike. But as others have said don't let them win by jacking it in, your site, your rules, and any donations people have voluntarily paid are yours to do as you see fit imho.

The membership numbers are a testament to how popular the site is, you have far more supporters than haters rest assured.

5 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I'm logged on as Bullbasket, so don't attribute this reply to him

Whoever you are, thanks for your support :)  We're working on getting this fixed with support.

This logging is as others is very strange I still seem to be me although, at one point, I was showing as an unregistered user.

As far as I am concerned my humble (and rather small) monthly donation goes to Britmodeller and it's owner to do with as is felt fit. Hell, even if you want to use it to buy yourself a beer (every couple of months (it really is a small contribution :D)) or go towards a nice kit It is a small price to pay for the entertainment value of being part of an educated and informed community who, unlike much of the outside world largely behave within that society's rules and those who break the law pay the price. Law enforcement and civil service are important and deserve reward.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, vampiredave said:

Hi- THIS IS CATHASATAIL HERE (Sam)

I too have logged in to someone else for no apparent reason! It's happening to me too! This is bizarre! O_O

,Sam

Strange as I was just logged in as vampiredave as well !

If anyone logs in as me please finish the couple of reviews I have to do :D

• Like 3