Air Defense and Its Evaluation (Project Re-starts on Page 4)

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I used four different shades of aluminum to get a little variation.

That's turned out very nicely! Do you thin the Vallejo at all? I can't seem to get a result anywhere near as consistent as you do.

That masking was tack-sharp, too!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

On 6/17/2021 at 2:40 PM, John Laidlaw said:

Do you thin the Vallejo at all?

Hi John, I don't thin the Vallejo Metal Color - it's already very thin and requires several coats, and it is also very easy to 'flood' it on. I over corrected on this guy by misting it on, and got a little 'orange peel' because it was such a warm day. It wasn't bad enough to require sanding it down for a re-paint, especially because it's only going to get hotter until September. So yeah, it's a little finicky - a 'wet' coat can easily lead to runs, and a 'dry' coat can lead to the spray drying before hitting the model. That said, I really do appreciate having a water based paint that gives a nice metal finish.

All masked up for the orange exterior sections and green bays:

20210618_102206

I went ahead and used Green Zinc Chromate for the flap, air break, and landing gear bays, because I asked my friend what color they were, and he said, "the ugliest green you can imagine." So, GZC it is.

20210618_105718

Socks and (silver paint stained) sandals - Cookie: fashion icon.

Orange on:

20210618_113740

Unmasked:

20210618_180725

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Hi John, I don't thin the Vallejo Metal Color - it's already very thin and requires several coats, and it is also very easy to 'flood' it on. I over corrected on this guy by misting it on, and got a little 'orange peel' because it was such a warm day. It wasn't bad enough to require sanding it down for a re-paint, especially because it's only going to get hotter until September. So yeah, it's a little finicky - a 'wet' coat can easily lead to runs, and a 'dry' coat can lead to the spray drying before hitting the model. That said, I really do appreciate having a water based paint that gives a nice metal finish.

Thanks, Cookie! I feel better about fighting it to get consistent results now - if you find it tricky occasionally, I'll have to be much more aware of all of the factors. Your explanation will help.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 12:14 AM, giemme said:

Socks and sandals.... sorry, my friend, it's a no from me.... :rofl: 

You are a man of true refinement Giorgio 😀 - I just threw them on to go paint on the deck not thinking they'd end up in the pics ☺️.

@John Laidlaw, I forgot to mask off the metal section on the tail for the Serial Number, so I decided to mask off and brush paint the Vallejo Metal Color over the orange. It brush paints pretty nicely; Duraluminum base (it had better coverage) with some 'regular' aluminum kind of 'dotted' on top.

20210622_182958

It's kind of tempting to try and brush paint my next NMF build - no 'orange peel' possible with brush painting!

Got the cockpit together and canopy on - clean up required.

20210622_201725

Ah, my patented wavey re-scribed panel lines on full display in those two pics!

Transfers started!

20210623_180956

• Like 11

Coming to life now, Cookie -  looking super cool in that scheme! :clap:  :clap: 

Great fix for the metallic area on the fin :worthy:

5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I just threw them on to go paint on the deck not thinking they'd end up in the pics ☺️.

Ditch the socks, not the sandals....

Giorgio, your personal fashion advisor :rofl2:

Ciao

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, giemme said:

Ditch the socks, not the sandals....

Giorgio, your personal fashion advisor :rofl2:

What’s the Italian view of the appropriate occasion to wear fleece jackets then G? :whistle:

Looking really good Cookie.  (B57 not sandals and socks……obvs. (altho’ I might not have been so clear on that before Giorgio pronounced :D))

Edited by Fritag
  • Haha 3

I love everything about this one Cookie, it is looking superb. Especially like the way you handled the black walkways. I did an F-111 years ago , an early camouflage development aircraft which nhas black walkways all over the wing and topside. I used rub on letraset black lines. Took me about 3 days! Your way looks much better!

Terry

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Fritag said:

What’s the Italian view of the appropriate occasion to wear fleece jackets then G? :whistle:

When it's cold... :rofl2:

Ciao

• Haha 5

On 6/24/2021 at 1:22 AM, giemme said:

When it's cold... :rofl2:

Ciao

On 6/24/2021 at 12:24 AM, Fritag said:

What’s the Italian view of the appropriate occasion to wear fleece jackets then G? 

It's that old joke from my childhood: When can you tell it's summer in Alaska?

People are wearing t-shirts under their fleece jackets.

I'm proudly wearing sandals with no socks today! Of course it's supposed to be 44°C today.

On 6/23/2021 at 7:23 PM, Stew Dapple said:

Nice work Cookie, she's looking good B) 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew!

On 6/23/2021 at 7:51 PM, Procopius said:

Hot damn, Cookie!

PC's back!

On 6/23/2021 at 8:26 PM, John Laidlaw said:

Looking good, Cookie! Interesting that it should brush paint so well. I’ll have to try that as well this winter (no airbrushing as it’s too cold). I’d love to see the results you get if you do.

We'll definitely have to experiment John.

On 6/24/2021 at 1:18 AM, Terry1954 said:

I love everything about this one Cookie, it is looking superb. Especially like the way you handled the black walkways. I did an F-111 years ago , an early camouflage development aircraft which nhas black walkways all over the wing and topside. I used rub on letraset black lines. Took me about 3 days! Your way looks much better!

Terry

Thanks Terry! The walkway lines are a little too thin, but it's the only masking I had and was too impatient to wait to order more. It's difficult to tell the red from the black stripes!

I used the Model Master brushed metaliser technique for the control surfaces since several ref pics showed them shinier than the rest of the airframe.

IMG_20210626_182230

Attached

IMG_20210626_190125

And got the landing gear and flaps on

IMG_20210627_183216

IMG_20210627_183258

It's a tail sitter! I added as much weight as I dared in the nose, fearing for the nose gear, but it still likes to sit backwards.

My friend said not to worry, the B-57 was a natural tail sitter and required a special extendable support if it was going to be on the ground for any length of time, and it required several degrees of nose down trim on takeoff. It looks like his 1/72 version is going to get a scratch support!

• Like 8

Impressive, Cookie! Great job! :clap:  :clap: 

12 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

It's that old joke from my childhood: When can you tell it's summer in Alaska?

People are wearing t-shirts under their fleece jackets.

I'm proudly wearing sandals with no socks today! Of course it's supposed to be 44°C today.

:rofl2:  :rofl2: BTW, with that temperature you should be wearing sandals only - I mean, no other clothing at all.... :rofl: 

Ciao

• Haha 2

Thanks for the kind words everybody!

On 6/29/2021 at 11:46 PM, giemme said:

Impressive, Cookie! Great job! :clap:  :clap: 

:rofl2:  :rofl2: BTW, with that temperature you should be wearing sandals only - I mean, no other clothing at all.... :rofl: 

Ciao

Ha! I don't think my hosts or the neighbors would have appreciated that! It was incredibly hot though - phew.

OK, time for the ALE-2 chaff pods. If you want to see how to do this correctly, please see @Andrew D Jolly Rogers guy's thread here:

I used his work as an example, utilizing Hasegawa gun pods as a basis:

IMG_20210701_193504

IMG_20210701_193535

IMG_20210704_141831

Mine aren't as good as @Andrew D Jolly Rogers guy's, but thanks to @Gene K's info he posted on page 2 of this thread, they are close to the proper dimensions.

@John Laidlaw, here is my first Vallejo Metal Color brush experiment - it's still to hot to attempt an airbrush session. A base coat of Duraluminum, just because it has the best coverage of the ones I own.

IMG_20210704_152448

One coat covered surprisingly well.

And after two coats of 'regular' aluminum on top:

IMG_20210704_154717

And now attached to the B-57:

IMG_20210704_155618

I also built a tail stand and added the ECM aerials, pitot and antenna.

A little splotch of soot from the left engine starter cartridge and I think it's done!

IMG_20210704_161426

I'll try and get an RFI up soon.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

@John Laidlaw, here is my first Vallejo Metal Color brush experiment - it's still to hot to attempt an airbrush session. A base coat of Duraluminum, just because it has the best coverage of the ones I own.

IMG_20210704_152448

That is pretty amazing, Cookie! I am going to have to follow suit and experiment with this.

The model looks marvellous - an excellent result!

• Like 1