Air Defense and Its Evaluation (Project Re-starts on Page 4)

Well, this is still in storage in NM, while I'm house sitting for some friends in Washington state, but in order to scratch the Canberra itch, I took a short online sketching class and came up with this:

B57_sketch

I'll keep practicing, but I'm glad that it, at least superficially, looks like a B-57!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cookenbacher said:

Well, this is still in storage in NM, while I'm house sitting for some friends in Washington state, but in order to scratch the Canberra itch, I took a short online sketching class and came up with this:

B57_sketch

I'll keep practicing, but I'm glad that it, at least superficially, looks like a B-57!

Very nicely done, evry inch a Canberra!

John

• Thanks 1

:wow:Cookie, that's excellent stuff! I own one of your sketches 😉, now you're making me wanting more!

It sure is a beautiful way for staying in the modelling mood while your stash is packed away. Please do more!

Ciao

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

OK, it's been a few years, but I haven't forgotten this one! I've moved a few times since I started this thread, and the original kits did not survive, but it only gave me the opportunity to take what I've learned and try and improve my original attempt.

Two very influential threads for this re-start have been @canberra kid's RB-57E made from just about every 1/72 kit available:

And, @Andrew D Jolly Rogers guy's EB-57B:

Thank you both for B-57 builds, I've been studying them for some time.

I'm well into the second attempt now, as I was hesitant to re-start a WIP given my atrocious completion record this past year, but at least I have something to show now.

I managed to find Airfix and Italeri B-57 kits for a reasonable price this spring, so I'm going for the 'Airfix fuselage with the Italeri nose' technique advocated by the Canberra Kid himself.

This pic is close to the current state (I've since added the cockpit and actually glued on the Italeri nose):

20210604_154006_HDR

• Like 9

• Cookenbacher changed the title to Air Defense and Its Evaluation (Project Re-starts on Page 4)

I added a little detail to the Airfix main landing gear bays.

20210525_182908

I shaved/'sculpted' the chin intakes to more closely resemble a B-57.

20210604_115530

And added some detail to the underside of the wings for dropping the flaps.

20210531_175017

There is no detail at all for the exhausts, so I painted makeshift turbine faces on some plasticard and attached tubes to them.

20210602_131744_HDR

20210602_132047_HDR

After inserting the tubes into the nacelles, almost no difference can be seen between my ham fisted scratch work and the original Airfix blanks, but hey, I'm at the bench and having some fun.

Oh, and here is the resin cockpit just about all painted up.

20210608_182242

• Like 13

Just picked this one up from the start Cookie. I'm a Canberra fan, from when i worked in the MOD project office with BAC and Shorts who were refurbishing loads at the time, back in the 70's. I'll follow along. Oh, and that sketch of the B-57 is very nice indeed.

Terry

• Like 1

Hi 

On 6/10/2021 at 12:06 AM, Cookenbacher said:

OK, it's been a few years, but I haven't forgotten this one! I've moved a few times since I started this thread, and the original kits did not survive, but it only gave me the opportunity to take what I've learned and try and improve my original attempt.

Two very influential threads for this re-start have been @canberra kid's RB-57E made from just about every 1/72 kit available:

And, @Andrew D Jolly Rogers guy's EB-57B:

Thank you both for B-57 builds, I've been studying them for some time.

I'm well into the second attempt now, as I was hesitant to re-start a WIP given my atrocious completion record this past year, but at least I have something to show now.

I managed to find Airfix and Italeri B-57 kits for a reasonable price this spring, so I'm going for the 'Airfix fuselage with the Italeri nose' technique advocated by the Canberra Kid himself.

This pic is close to the current state (I've since added the cockpit and actually glued on the Italeri nose):

20210604_154006_HDR

Hi Cocky

Good to see you back at it! it's been a very lean year for me on the model front, but I've been hard at work with a new Canberra book, which is getting close to the finish line, I hope to get back to Canberra production again soon, in the meantime keep the Canberra flag flying for me and keep up the good work! 

5Qz2iD.jpg

John

• Like 4

On 6/9/2021 at 4:47 PM, John Laidlaw said:

Ooh! A reactivated Cookie build! Where's the:popcorn:?

On 6/10/2021 at 3:04 AM, giemme said:

Glad to see you're back at the bench , Cookie! :thumbsup: :clap:  :clap:

So glad to have you guys along, and thanks for the encouragement!

On 6/12/2021 at 5:53 AM, Terry1954 said:

Just picked this one up from the start Cookie. I'm a Canberra fan, from when i worked in the MOD project office with BAC and Shorts who were refurbishing loads at the time, back in the 70's. I'll follow along. Oh, and that sketch of the B-57 is very nice indeed.

I didn't realize you had a Canberra connection Terry, so cool. As stated above, this build is for a dear family friend who was a Maintenance Officer for a B-57 squadron and he's been telling some great stories.

On 6/12/2021 at 6:17 AM, canberra kid said:

I've been hard at work with a new Canberra book

That's fantastic news John, can't wait for that!

13 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Cookie!

Love the wheel bays and seats, great detail :) 

Thanks Ced!

The Italeri nose is a little bit wider than the Airfix fuselage, resulting in the need for some rather aggressive sanding.

20210610_120213_HDR

I added some 'pedestals' for the ECM aerials made from the hexagonal Airfix sprue. They're a little oversized, but I can live with it.

20210612_191413_HDR

The EB-57 'triple' chin intake.

20210613_151642

I quickly ran into a cycle of diminishing returns on trying to fix my re-scribing errors - each 'fix' led to two new 'slips', especially for that guy on the left wing; perhaps my best scribed line, but in the wrong location - so I called it ready for primer.

20210613_150802_HDR

Stynyrez black primer on.

20210614_133147

The re-scribed panel lines don't look nearly as bad as I feared, not great, but acceptable 😜

• Like 11

Sorry I missed this , I was absent for a lot of 2017 as I was building my loft conversion and working full time so did not get much in the way of spare time. 

It's  a shame the originals didn't make it, but great choice to graft together the two kits. I know nothing of the type, but do have a Revell ex Matchbox PR9 in the stash and will tag along.

Great job so far and hope your shoulder is not giving you any issues now.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Really enjoyable modelling going on here, Cookie.  The Mark II Frankenberra is really coming together nicely.  Also good to see someone else spending five years on a project.

I'd like to build a Canberra some day, but given the level of involvement to get a good one I'm... daunted.  My Canberra stash comprises the flawed Italeri kit and a single-place off-center cockpit jobby from the Soviet Union, presumably ex-Frog, moulded in YELLOW plastic (forgive the caps lock, but it's not merely yellow, it's YELLOW); no idea whether it's a candidate for Frankenberra-isation.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

perhaps my best scribed line, but in the wrong location

Why does that make me think of a General sending his best troops to the wrong grid reference? :)

Looking good in black, Cookie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Really enjoyable modelling going on here, Cookie.  The Mark II Frankenberra is really coming together nicely.  Also good to see someone else spending five years on a project.

I'd like to build a Canberra some day, but given the level of involvement to get a good one I'm... daunted.  My Canberra stash comprises the flawed Italeri kit and a single-place off-center cockpit jobby from the Soviet Union, presumably ex-Frog, moulded in YELLOW plastic (forgive the caps lock, but it's not merely yellow, it's YELLOW); no idea whether it's a candidate for Frankenberra-isation.  

The old FROG, though basic is the most accurate mainstream Canberra around, with a bit of extra work you can turn out a good Canberra.

John 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2021 at 3:21 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Sorry I missed this , I was absent for a lot of 2017 as I was building my loft conversion and working full time so did not get much in the way of spare time. 

It's  a shame the originals didn't make it, but great choice to graft together the two kits. I know nothing of the type, but do have a Revell ex Matchbox PR9 in the stash and will tag along.

Great job so far and hope your shoulder is not giving you any issues now.

Thanks Chris, so glad to have you along!

19 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice to see you back at the bench Cookie, I see you haven't lost your appetite for radical plastic surgery B)

Thanks Stew, I guess plastic chopping is in my nature!

18 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Five years is a fine age for any modeling project 😀

18 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Yellow!?!? What will they think of next? Looks like the Canberra Kid says the Frog kit is worthy though, yellow or no.

16 hours ago, giemme said:

Looking so smooth in her primer coat - great job, Cookie! :clap: :clap:

Thanks Giorgio - I'm out of practice and got carried away in a couple places, but the places where it ran sanded out nicely today.

4 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Looking good! I just wish we didn't have to go through this rigmarole to get an accurate B.57, or any Canberra for that matter!!

New tooled Canberras would be a treat! Perhaps your new book will inspire some manufacturers.

15 hours ago, Fritag said:

Why does that make me think of a General sending his best troops to the wrong grid reference? :)

Yes, but they were his best troops. I think the same General was in charge of the masking tape, the walkways and anti-glare panels took forever:

20210615_144811

I think I'll throw on a couple shades of blue as an undercoat for the metal finish.

• Like 8