Revell 1:24 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG

riggy

Started work on this kit trying to take the advice given in my last build to improve. 

Engine and chassis in place. Quick search on the internet showed a car with gold coloured paint on the underneath so addded that also then decided to add a few bits of gold paint to the engine block. 

Engine in placeEngine in placeEngine in place

Thanks for looking comments and advice always welcome 

Hi Riggy!

Great start on the Merc, You're going about  it the right way,paint as much as You can before glueing the parts together,You may have to scrape the paint away where the joints are with the edge of a knife blade.

I work this way all the time now for two reasons:-

1 - You get better access in tight spots

2 - You get a sharper,cleaner definition between different areas.

I spray everthing with an airbrush,but the same procedure is used when brushing,just mount the cleaned-up parts on 'handles',made from cocktail sticks,thesee can be shoved in holes moulded into the parts or put a small ball of Blu Tac on the underside of the part and push the point of the cocktail stick into it.  The sticks can then be pushed into Oasis type foam block while the parts dry.

Another way is to make a loop of masking tape (sticky side out) and flatten this onto a piece of scrap timber (coffee stirrers are good for this and cheap!:D)

When brush painting raised detail on parts,thin Your paint down a little,and put more coats on,if you are putting a lighter colour on a darker one,You can always give the area an 'undercoat' of light grey or white  to help with coverage.

Best of luck with the project,and if You need any advice just shout,We're all all here and happy to help!

Keep Sticking!               Cheers,  Pete,       Buton on Trent

Edited by morty_3333

@Sheepie I will be airbrushing the body. Last night I actually started doing smaller parts with the airbrush and I am a lot happier with the results 

Nice build btw 

Edited by riggy
Additional txt

Had a weekend of spraying the body firstly sanded down misty spray and first wet coats on Saturday 

First wet coat to body doors and bonnet

Left till Sunday night wet sanded with 2000 grit and further wet coats added 

Sanded down and further wet coatsSanded down and further wet coats

Should I wet sand again after leaving the car to dry around 24 hours, this time with 2500 grit or leave it alone ?

Edited by riggy
Question added
  • Like 1

Enjoying this build, it's coming along great. One tip I'd like to share is that I like to paint the car bodies while they're 'in the air'.

I've been using a Nescafé Azera tin with cocktail sticks pushed in to the rubber lid. The sticks can be adjusted easily and they stay put with the body resting on top. You can also pick the tin up with the body on to ensure you've applied paint to the underside of the sills and bumpers.

• Like 1