VVS Yakovlev Yak-3 from the 402nd FAR, Spring 1945

On 18/05/2017 at 4:24 PM, Biggles87 said:

Also liking your usual attention to detail .

John

Thanks John - I am having a ball doing it.

On 19/05/2017 at 5:09 AM, Shelliecool said:

Great choice, had the pleasure of seeing a Yak 3 display at Abingdon airshow on Sunday, was a really impressive aircraft. Looking forward to following your build,

Michelle.

Thanks Michelle, lucky you to see a hole flight line of Yaks!

I managed to progress a bit further during the week. I added a bit more detail to the cockpit framework in the shape of an air bottle and clamps for the various wires.

Yak-3-38.jpg

Yak-3-39.jpg

This is the only period picture I found from a Yak-3 cockpit.

Yak-3-40.jpg

Together with this picture from the aircraft at Le Bourget

cockpityak02.jpg

And this.

IMG_9277.jpg

I just had to add a bit of detail to the cockpit floor.

Yak-3-41.jpg

Yak-3-42.jpg

I just had to put it temporally all together to see how it looks as a whole.

Yak-3-43.jpg

Yak-3-44.jpg

Yak-3-45.jpg

Yak-3-46.jpg

Yak-3-47.jpg

Yak-3-48.jpg

Looking forward to get the paint on as it will come really alive then :D

Thanks for watching.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 6

On 21/05/2017 at 3:11 AM, Hewy said:

Most impressive peter, its really getting some depth in there,looking forward to the painting, and saving these ideas up for mine, cheers

Glynn

Thanks Glynn. I hope that the paint will enhance the depth even further.

I got the interior primed black and then painted in AMT-14 grey. I also added some lighter highlights, but it doesn't show too well on the pictures.

Yak-3-50.jpg

Yak-3-51.jpg

Yak-3-52.jpg

I first used Mr. Paint which is a terrific paint for airbrushing and I love using it, but the shade was just not right as it was a little on the blue side.

So it was time to have a go at the Alan lacquer paint I purchased a while ago and it is a much better match I think.

Yak-3-49.jpg

Its not a huge difference and most likely irrelevant when the cockpit is weathered and closed. But it was a good opportunity to try the paint for the first time. So the picture of the painted cockpit are with a coat of Akan over Mr.Paint. :D

But the Akan paint was rather thick and I added around 70% of leveling thinner. It then airbrushed as nice as the Mr. Paint stuff without any tip drying at all.

But when I added some Akan white for the highlighting to the grey, the white didn't mix very well with the grey, making airbrushing rather unpredictable. I then added Mr. Paint white instead which worked very well indeed.

Hope to get some detail painting done during next week.

Thanks for watching.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 4

On 28/05/2017 at 6:23 PM, modelling minion said:

Very nice work Peter, the cockpit looks great with the extra detailing you have added.

On 29/05/2017 at 1:02 AM, PlaStix said:

Amazingly detailed work in the cockpit Peter! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 29/05/2017 at 2:07 AM, Hewy said:

Oh yes, i like that, very well painted and detailed, 

Glynn

On 28/05/2017 at 10:04 PM, Biggles87 said:

I don't have one of these ( yet ) but I will bookmark your build for future reference if I may.

John

Thank you all for the kind comments. John, you welcome to follow my journey. It is a lovely kit and will look nice built straight OOB.

Building and painting cockpits is one of my favored task and I do enjoy scratch building all the extra detail as it is actually doable in this scale for my aging eyes. :winkgrin:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

The cockpit and wheel well looks excellent !  Cheers for a great job so far :)

• Like 1

On 03/06/2017 at 5:13 AM, Basuroy said:

The cockpit and wheel well looks excellent !  Cheers for a great job so far :)

Thanks Basuroy,

Unfortunately not much progress to show as other tasks which needed to be done didn't leave much time to work on the Yak.

I decided to airbrush the top of the side consoles as i figured it is easier than brush painting them. But it needed some tricky masking.

Yak-3-53.jpg

The result looks good and I commenced the detail painting.

Yak-3-54.jpg

Yak-3-55.jpg

Silver still needs to be done and all the weathering.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 4

That looks good to me, The wiring from the radio makes a big difference to the overall appearance.

John.

I'm definitely going to get one, but the ' onward to Berlin ' version, I'm just looking around for the best deal on shipping.

• Like 1

On 11/06/2017 at 4:10 PM, Biggles87 said:

That looks good to me, The wiring from the radio makes a big difference to the overall appearance.

John.

I'm definitely going to get one, but the ' onward to Berlin ' version, I'm just looking around for the best deal on shipping.

Thanks John, I purchase most of the Special Hobby kits direct from them as I found their postage cost to Australia very reasonable. Not sure how much they charge within Europe.

On 11/06/2017 at 5:28 PM, Hewy said:

Some deft masking up there peter,she's coming together very nicely, these things can't be rushed 

Glynn

Yes the masking was fun but it was worth it as it would have been a real pain in the but to brush paint the consoles.

On 11/06/2017 at 6:25 PM, modelling minion said:

The cockpit looks great Peter, some very nice details and painting.

Thanks modelling minion. There was still a fair bit more to paint.

But I finally finished the detail painting.

Yak-3-56.jpg

Yak-3-57.jpg

Yak-3-58.jpg

Gloss varnish next, followed by decals and a pin wash. Then a flat varnish followed by filters, weathering and chipping and all sealed of by a satin varnish!

That is the plan ...

Cheers, Peter

• Like 5

On 15/06/2017 at 0:54 AM, zebra said:

Very impressive work so far Peter, this is going to be something special.

Thank you Zebra. I hope that it will be worth the effort I am putting into this build, but unfortunately it already is taking much longer than anticipated :hmmm:

On 16/06/2017 at 1:54 AM, PlaStix said:

Your detailing and painting is as impressive as always Peter. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Well, I am trying to improve my brush painting skills, but still a bit to go until I am reaching your levels. :crying: I found it need a lot of discipline to retrain in adding too much paint in one go :wall:

On 16/06/2017 at 3:35 AM, Mottlemaster said:

Very pleased i took a look at your build thred . Lovely clean work done to the highest standard .

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks Alistair.

I airbrushed a gloss varnish over all the internal stuff in preparation for a pin wash and decals. I won't bore you with another set of pictures as they would look the same as the earlier posted pictures - just in gloss :)

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

Excellent work there on the cockpit! The A-14 should be a dead neutral grey (just black and white), with not a hint of blue. Many people paint their VVS interiors grey with a bit of blue or green, but from what I've seen and read, A-14 steel grey was a very neutral grey (I even have some small pieces of it, of course they're very old, but they do seem to be a neutral grey).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Learstang said:

Excellent work there on the cockpit! The A-14 should be a dead neutral grey (just black and white), with not a hint of blue. Many people paint their VVS interiors grey with a bit of blue or green, but from what I've seen and read, A-14 steel grey was a very neutral grey (I even have some small pieces of it, of course they're very old, but they do seem to be a neutral grey).

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason for the insights into A-14. So the Akan hue does look better. One problem when airbrushing lacquer is that they don't brush well, making any touch-up a bit of a challenge. I missed some spots when airbrushing the cockpit and I found that Vallejo neutral grey is a mear match to the Akan hue.

3 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

This is looking very good Peter, lovely cockpit.

Thanks Robert. I hope to have it finished soon.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

Unfortunately still slow going :( But I managed a wash, placed all the decals and added a flat varnish coat.

The instructions are very clear where to place the dial decals and each decal has the corresponding letter next to the  dial as well.

Yak-3-59.jpg

But I managed to place the third row dials onto the second row on the IP - even thinking that the size is a bit too large... Of course I only realized the mistake after adding decal softener :wall:

Fortunately I had some airscale and Mike Grant dial decals which contained some similar looking dials - at least my IP is now unique ;)

Yak-3-60.jpg

I also applied some parts of airscale and Mike Grant placards to the side consoles.

Yak-3-60b.jpg

And the upper panels.

Yak-3-64.jpg

The radio does look smart with the dial decal in place.

Yak-3-63.jpg

Filters, weathering and chipping next followed by a satin varnish coat to seal it all.

Thanks for watching.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 5