Are Primers needed?

Starkiller

Hi All

I have an Eduard 1/48 Spitfire project to begin, my first job and I am getting all the stuff together. Wow, had anyone told me I would spend over a £100 for this project, I would not believe! The painting stuff alone is £52 by itself! I just want to do this right. So my question is - do I need to use a primer before painting? I am looking at Scale 75 White Surface Primer and there is black, white and grey. Which colour would be best suited? 

Primer is optional, not required.  It can be argued that in skilled hands there is a benefit to be gained, but as this is your first go I'd advise keeping it simple.  The less there is to do, the less there is to go wrong.  A first coat, rubbed down before doing the second, will provide much the same benefit as a primer, in any case.

• Like 1

A primer coat can do two things for you. First it is an initial coat of paint to which the actual color applications can adhere. If your paint of choice is a water based acrylic, this may be helpful although of less use if your paints are enamel or a solvent based acrylic. The second use of a primer is to give a base layer enabling you to check your constructions as it usually makes it easier to spot seams that still need  work or a glue finger print you didn't notice. As Graham said, the first color coat can also serve this purpose (although I personally find it annoying to have applied a color coat and then discover a blemish that needs more work ^_^)

• Like 1

It always seems a lot to fork out on your first model, but your paints and glue and most of the other stuff you've bought will last for many future builds. So hopefully, if there is more kits to follow, the next build will be cheaper.

If all else fails and you decide not to continue, there is always Ebay.

I've never used Scale 75 products, but I prefer a gray primer. Following your link, it appears to be acrylic. If that means you're going to be using acrylic paints as well, then I'd say it'll be worth priming for better paint adhesion.

Just out of interest, how did you amass £100 worth of expenditures?

If you clean the surface of the model before painting you won`t need a primer . I`ve always given a gentle wipe over with a tissue

dampened with white spirit going over fine detail with a soft brush , including resin . you can give a dry blow with an airbrush to

make sure it`s dry then before painting hold your model up to a good light so the light "bounces" of the surface, this will show up

any imperfections . If you do find any after painting , [ and there`s always a little sod somewhere] , gently shave it whith a not too

sharp No 10 blade and touch in with a fine brush before the final clear coat . happy modelling ! .

I tend to prime most models with either Halfords or Tamiya rattle cans.

It helps the acrylic top coats adhere well, and shows any imperfections along the way.

Primer needn't cost much in the long run. Halfords' is £7.99 for a big can that last for ages. The Tamiya gives a better finish, but is about the same cost for about half the amount.

I do have some models on the shelf that were never primed and they turned out ok.

Just my personal choice.

Rick.

Priming is pretty much mandatory when using water based paints if you're going to so much as think about applying a low tack masking tape to it, and not necessary at all for adhesion of enamels.

However, it's still good practise to use some sort of primer (given I am exclusive enamel user and enamels don't need adhesion help I simply use a light grey enamel or sometimes black depending on what I'm later going to do) because giving the model a good even coverage with a single colour allows you to see imperfections in the fit and preparation, such as a seam which needs a little more attention. This is seldom visible when the model is a patchwork of colours with sanded plastic, a little filler here and there etc.

A primer coat means less flooding with paint trying to cover up unwanted "preshading" showing through.

What you use and how is a matter of experience, choice, debate and ultimately personal preference but there are worthy benefits of seeing your model in a uniform colour before pressing on with finish colours.

• Like 2

From your other post,  I see that you're going to be using Mr Color as your paint. As that paint is  lacquer based as long as you give your model a good de grease before painting you should be fine. It will without doubt bite into the plastic far better than the Scale75 primer you mention as that is only a water based primer. I'd steer well clear of any of the water based primers, Ammo, Mig etc etc and instead use a lacquer based one for example,  Mr Paint or Alclad which are both pre mixed or Mr Primer Surfacer which will need thinners the same as you use for your Mr Color, either Mr Thinner or Mr Levelling Thinner. Any of those 3 primers sand well.

http://www.hmhobbies.co.uk/mrp-084-fine-surface-primer-gray-60ml.html

http://www.hmhobbies.co.uk/mr-primer-surfacer-1000-40ml.html

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/120ml-grey-primer-microfiller-alclad-2.html

I personally always mist a coat of  of  primer on before painting as as been said it will show any defects up that will need sorting out.

• Like 1

Can only recommend you find and use a decent primer. 

My main primer is a pressure pack Mr. Surfacer 1000 which is white. Their bottle primers are great too, 500 is grey and 1500 black. Tamiya has a very nice white primer to which fillers adhere well. 

Please note the nature of these primers allows for both enamel and waterborne paints. While cost is a big hit, quality is the product when used well. 

Happy modelling on your first project. 👍🏽

Grant

I always wash a model, sometimes before any construction commences but always just before the main spraying stage.  AFAIK there is a chance that the model will be covered in an invisible greasy mould release agent - not good for paint application.  Generally speaking I rarely prime first.  The exception would be where the model has a "mix" of plastic & resin components (such as a conversion); this results in different base colours that can be hard to cover & obtain a good overall colour.

• Like 1

If you're airbrushing use a face mask and in a well ventilated room!  Especially with lacquer paints.  I learned the hard way (and that was with acrylics!).  

As to your original question i've always primed - as someone has already said one of the big benefits is you'll see any gaps more clearly.

I originally used a can called something like plasticoat (from a painters and decorators shop) which i found really good but am currently on halfords (half the price).

as you can see from the replies some do, some don't.....remember it's what you feel comfortable with :)

Halfords plastic primer availble in grey or white (grey is the main one you'd want) - around 7 quid for a large tin and lasts for ages.

It's designed to be sprayed in a well ventilated area so don't try it in the house. A couple of swift light passes and job done

On 4/17/2017 at 16:38, Seawinder said:

I've never used Scale 75 products, but I prefer a gray primer. Following your link, it appears to be acrylic. If that means you're going to be using acrylic paints as well, then I'd say it'll be worth priming for better paint adhesion.

Just out of interest, how did you amass £100 worth of expenditures?

Hi nigelshipp

Well I bought an airbrush, mini compressor, paints, Eduard Spitfire 1/48 kit, model kit (tools). Still need to get varnish, weathering stuff. So it will be exceeding £100. :mellow:

A very interesting debate. This is what I am taking from it: I will be washing the model before painting. I wont be priming this time, but will see what happens.

Remember - everyone is on a learning curve :)

best advice i can give you - above ALL else, have fun doing it - to me that's what this is all about.